The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Australia is an Interesting Place (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
And some Australians have very interesting ideas:

Quote:
Jim’s research is concerned with the rise and fall of human civilisations. He tries to explain why certain historical events have happened to certain peoples at certain points in time. To do this, he conducts experiments on populations of rats and guinea pigs, messes with their diets and their family units, and if all goes according to plan, he’ll be doing the same to humans.

Jim’s been giving money, so far over $1 million, to a team of scientists at La Trobe, to continue the research the university turned its back on three decades ago.

To put it simply, Jim has a theory that the big shifts in society (wars, revolutions, influence of religion etc.) are explainable by changes in brain and hormone activity. As an example, Jim cites WWI. According to Jim, the Great War was brought about by widespread hormonal change in the Austro-Germanic people of the 1880’s, which made them more aggressive and warlike. In this way Jim can explain why Rome rose and fell, why Stalin was able to stay in power for so long and why the West is in a really bad state.

Just how he identifies these hormonal changes so many years later, and without any physical evidence, only Jim knows, but he thinks that by studying these patterns he can predict the future, and is developing a drug to change it.

Jim’s ideas are based on a scientific stream called epigenetics. Epigenetics studies the changes in genes which are not programmed into the DNA sequence. In practical terms, if a scientist (or a gardener-cum-scientist) was able to identify the link between particular genes and behaviours they could alter people’s behaviour by modifying the genes. Jim sees it as the final frontier of scientific study. “For years people thought that genes were just genes, they didn’t realise they could be switched on and off.” And he has big plans for humanity once the drug has been developed.

“Why haven’t we been visited by intelligent aliens?” He asks me a little later. “Why is that? There must be trillions of Earth-like planets across the universe, why hasn’t some race gone and spread into space? And I think that one of the more plausible reasons is that when any civilisation rises past a certain stage of technology, it becomes easier and easier to destroy itself.”

A lot of his initial testing has focussed on developing treatments for alcohol addiction, drug addiction, overeating and other kinds of psychological problems. Jim thinks that a drug could be ready by as early as next year.

But Jim wants to change more than that. He wants to change people’s personalities, change how they think and act, how they see the world. He believes that Jim’s drug can make people more focussed, more hard working, more intelligent and creative. Basically, better humans. “It could be something as simple as a nasal spray, it could be a treatment, a drug, a pill you swallow,” he says. “There are implications that this could raise IQ.”

Jim envisions a society where everyone’s chemical and hormonal deficiencies have been corrected, making them completely functional members of society. “Imagine if the average person is what used to be considered extremely capable, if not a genius…We could make ancient Athens look like a stodgy small town. We’ve never had any human society ever that has lived up to human potential.”

Jim thinks that the world needs this drug. He’s crunched the numbers and he has a pretty bleak outlook for this planet if he can’t get his nasal spray out. In the next few years Jim predicts that the West will continue its economic and moral decline, with China taking over the reins as the big world power, followed by a few thousand years of hegemony from a unified body of African states.

By the year 4000 Jim envisions the world as a Mad Max style apocalyptic wasteland comprising of “poor peasant farmers where women are mutilated by cliterodectomy, and this kind of garbage, which is really what the human race is headed for—poverty-stricken peasants.” And Jim is doing everything in his power to stop that happening. A large percentage of the profits that he takes from Jim’s Mowing go into a foundation that will continue his research and—if his theories are proven correct—save the world.

Of course, Jim is wary of the potential dangers of developing his wonder drug. He worries that it may be so powerful that it could actually bring about the apocalypse. “Technology would explode because people would become far more creative and capable by a factor of hundreds of times over. Now whether that would end up destroying the human race, or we would end up spreading out across the universe I don’t know.”

Read the rest.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Strange guy indeed. But what does that have to do with him being Australian? Folks with tin foil hat theories can be found in every country and in every culture.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16042 Posts

Profile of tommy
Australia leads the charge towards China

Ned Kelly's new China style hat.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I'd never heard of him before, but I'm awfully glad now that I mow my own lawn, much as I hate the job, and don't subsidise his fantasies.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Chemical Lobotomy? Sounds good to me.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16042 Posts

Profile of tommy
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Australia is an Interesting Place (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL