The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Outlook vs Hotmail (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Microsoft has closed their popular Hotmail service and forced user to switch to Outlook ... how's that been doing for them??

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=580499251969319

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Doesn't seem to matter to me. I just logged into "Outlook" with the same log in and password I used on "Hotmail."

Any idea why they changed it?
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
It matters to me ... Outlook locks up my phone, and causes my computer to lag, and doesn't work on my tablet at all.

The change is the idiocracy at Microsoft in a desperate move to compete with Google. The new Outlook is designed to work more like Gmail, with threaded messages and crap like that. Of course, if the people using Hotmail wanted threaded messages we would be using Gmail. Management at Microsoft need to realize that when consumers like something, you don't go and change it on them. [rolling eyes]

I had created a Hotmail account after displeasure with Yahoo; I selected Hotmail because it had the highest user satisfaction rate of all email services. So they basically took the best email available, that had been debugged and tested for many many years now ... and replaced it with a beta version of poor software that is full of bugs and annoyances. The rating for Hotmail: 4.0 while rating for Outlook only 2.2.

I've had to create a new AIM account. Now I have to go through and change all my emails addresses. Huge pain in the rear end. >: |

-JoeJoe
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
I still use Hotmail every day. I have not noticed anything different. Hotmail is on my Kindle Fire and still works great.
Is there an issue here?
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
It's the price of using a free service. I don't like the change either, but I have been using the same hotmail account for the last 16 years and don't (currently) wish to go through the hassle of changing everything over to a new account. It would have been nice if they had offered you the choice of the upgrade (which they have done in the past)or keep the 'classic' account.
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 06:32, irossall wrote:
I still use Hotmail every day. I have not noticed anything different. Hotmail is on my Kindle Fire and still works great.
Is there an issue here?
Iven Smile

Microsoft has been phasing out Hotmail for at least a year now ... they announced the process was completed on May 3rd with the last of Hotmail accounts being converted into Outlook accounts, so you are now using Outlook instead of Hotmail.

http://dailygadgetry.com/hotmail-users-f......look/823

I don't know how Kindle Fire Apps work, but I would avoid updating your Hotmail App if you can. My tablet automatically updated it, and it now just gives me a message that I must download Outlook. Luckily, my phone didn't have the auto-update option enabled, and I can still use the Hotmail App there.

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 06:56, Salguod Nairb wrote:
It's the price of using a free service. I don't like the change either, but I have been using the same hotmail account for the last 16 years and don't (currently) wish to go through the hassle of changing everything over to a new account. It would have been nice if they had offered you the choice of the upgrade (which they have done in the past)or keep the 'classic' account.

Unfortunately, I have no choice ... it freezes and lags ... I think it has something to do with their crappy "Silverlight" plugin, their inferior version of Flash (like who would have thought someone could make an inferior version of Flash).

-JoeJoe
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2653 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
What's the deal with that Silverlight thing? That pops up every once and awhile, asking me to update it. I have no idea what it is - I've never upgraded and everything still works fine.

I don't like the new layout but I haven't had any issues on my phone or iPad. I'm just not as crazy about the threaded messages.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I've been using AOL since the very beginning and that was when you had to pay for it. Now that it's free, I can't see any reason to switch to anything else. I have thousands of email messages stored with them and never have any problems with sending or receiving large files. While I can't compare it to any other service, I'm completely happy with it.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1910 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 19:30, Andrew Zuber wrote:
What's the deal with that Silverlight thing? That pops up every once and awhile, asking me to update it. I have no idea what it is - I've never upgraded and everything still works fine.

Silverlight is Microsoft's knock-off of Adobe Flash, used to display rich-media in a browser. I was required to install it by my cable company so I could watch TV on my computer, and now whenever I click my browser's address bar my computer locks up for about 30 seconds. It's a pain in the rear end, and while I have uninstalled my browser's address bar still locks up.

-JoeJoe
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7410 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I've been a long time Hotmail user. The new Outlook is buggy in IE8. I have to access it with Firefox to use some of the features, such as composing a new email. In IE8, there is no drop down menu to access "People", etc.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I don't like that I have to hit the reply button to forward an email...
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Outlook vs Hotmail (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL