The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This looks interesting (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
A better link to the movie:

http://pandoraspromise.com/

And from a statement from the director.

"I’ve considered myself a passionate environmentalist for about as long as I can remember. My mother read me Silent Spring when I was nine and the specter of a Cold War nuclear arms race was not an uncommon topic around the dinner table in my family. So my anti-nuclear and environmental roots run very deep. My first film was an anti-nuclear weapons documentary, Radio Bikini, that premiered at Sundance in 1988 and went on to receive an Oscar® nomination for Feature Documentary. My film Earth Days, which was Closing Night Film at Sundance in 2009, chronicles the rise of the environmental movement of my youth. In the course of making Earth Days I began for the first time to see the deep pessimism that has infused today’s environmental movement, and to recognize the depth of its failure to address climate change. It was initially through getting to know Stewart Brand that I was introduced to a new and more optimistic view of our environmental challenges that was pro-development and pro-technology. From there I began to seek out and discover a small but growing cadre of people around the world who were beginning to stand up and challenge what had become the rigid orthodoxy of modern environmentalism.

It’s no easy thing for me to have come to the conclusion that the rapid deployment of nuclear power is now the greatest hope we have for saving us from an environmental catastrophe. Yet this growing realization has led me to question many of the founding tenets of traditional environmentalism, from the belief that we can dramatically reduce our energy demand through energy efficiency to the belief that solar and wind power will one day power the planet. The almost theological adherence to a set of unquestionable beliefs by most liberals and environmentalists has likely contributed as much or more to prolonging our addiction to fossil fuels as the equally appalling state of denial among many conservatives when it comes to climate change. Both sides are locked into rigid, self-righteous ideological positions with potentially disastrous consequences for us all unless we begin to face the facts."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4955 Posts

Profile of landmark
Fukushima.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
"Silent Spring" is a piece of pernicious nonsense.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16042 Posts

Profile of tommy
Hmmm. Cool nickname, pernicious.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tell this crap to the Japanese people.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Another interesting post from the site by a liberal with an open mind. (I was gonna say now THERES an oxymoron but I'm trying to stay away from that sort of comment so I won't. Oh wait, I guess I just did. Hmmm, should I delete that? Let me think about it.)

anyway

http://pandoraspromise.com/top-5-reasons......SX77nZ_s

"Many of my friends are science-loving liberals. Many of them are also environmentalists. But most of them are against nuclear energy, and this is where I disagree with them. Over the years I have had several conservations with these friends about nuclear power and most of their objections seem to boil down to a handful of arguments that are well-meaning but often ignore some basic facts. So here’s a purely personal, short list of reasons which in my opinion drive a lot of liberal objections to nuclear power. "
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Hanford gave us a promising future as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09......ef=green
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 12:06, Al Angello wrote:
Tell this crap to the Japanese people.

What could this possibly mean Al?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 07:07, Woland wrote:

Pernicious Nonsense was my stripper name when I danced.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 11:10, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 07:07, Woland wrote:

Pernicious Nonsense was my stripper name when I danced.

With a name like Pernicious Nonsense you had to be good!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20428 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Set the standard I did.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » This looks interesting (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL