The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Coming Cicada Invasion...... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think six species of locust were declared fit to eat in the Bible, and I think the Jews of Yemen still know at least one of them.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I had read that the locusts John the Baptist ate were actually carob pods. (Which were surnamed "locusts")
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
In countries that use insecticides and herbicides eating insects could be very dangerous. You never know what your neighbor is using in their yard let alone the country you may be importing insects from. If people live in a clean rural situation it might be a safer path.

Like some fish they can concentrate poisons in their systems.

Also not all insects are edible and chitin can be a big allergen for some folks (like having a peanut allergy). Don't just go eat a bug.

If you are interested find someone who already eats insects and have a mentor.

-Mary Mowder
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 10:48, daffydoug wrote:
And in the news:

UN urges people to eat insects to fight world hunger
13 May 2013 Last updated at 14:00

Over 2 billion people worldwide already supplement their diet with insects
Eating more insects could help fight world hunger, according to a new UN report.

The report by the UN Food and Agriculture Organization says that eating insects could help boost nutrition and reduce pollution.

It notes than over 2 billion people worldwide already supplement their diet with insects.

However it admits that "consumer disgust" remains a large barrier in many Western countries.

Wasps, beetles and other insects are currently "underutilised" as food for people and livestock, the report says. Insect farming is "one of the many ways to address food and feed security".

"Insects are everywhere and they reproduce quickly, and they have high growth and feed conversion rates and a low environmental footprint," according to the report.

Nutritional value

The authors point out that insects are nutritious, with high protein, fat and mineral content.

They are "particularly important as a food supplement for undernourished children".

Insects are also "extremely efficient" in converting feed into edible meat. Crickets, for example, need 12 times less feed than cattle to produce the same amount of protein, according to the report.

Most insects are are likely to produce fewer environmentally harmful greenhouse gases than other livestock.

The ammonia emissions associated with insect-rearing are far lower than those linked to conventional livestock such as pigs, says the report.

Delicacies

The report calls for insect dishes to be added to restaurant menus
Insects are regularly eaten by many of the world's population, but the thought may seem shocking to many Westerners.

The report suggests that the food industry could help in "raising the status of insects" by including them in new recipes and adding them to restaurant menus.

It goes on to note that in some places, certain insects are considered delicacies.

For example some caterpillars in southern Africa are seen as luxuries and command high prices.

Most edible insects are gathered in forests and serve niche markets, the report states.

It calls for improved regulation and production for using insects as feed.

"The use of insects on a large scale as a feed ingredient is technically feasible, and established companies in various parts of the world are already leading the way," it adds.

When they came out last time I cooked up a batch and they were surprisingly good.

If you are interested in how I did it, you can PM me.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Slyhand, I think most of us would be interested in learning of your recipe even if not interested in trying it. I'm enough of a gamer to try just about anything, so I'm interested. I'm still not sure I could get one down but I'd still like to know how you did them. You can PM me, but I think it'd be great fun if you posted it here.

Where is gourmand Michael Baker when we need him? C'mon Michael, you're out there somewhere wanting to chime in!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"Snap-py Cicada Pizza..."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
They'll sing for your supper.

You'd think they would make good fertilizer with all the nitrogen in them.

-Mary Mowder
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 20:00, Bob1Dog wrote:
Slyhand, I think most of us would be interested in learning of your recipe even if not interested in trying it. I'm enough of a gamer to try just about anything, so I'm interested. I'm still not sure I could get one down but I'd still like to know how you did them. You can PM me, but I think it'd be great fun if you posted it here.

Where is gourmand Michael Baker when we need him? C'mon Michael, you're out there somewhere wanting to chime in!

I don't want to get the PETI people after me. There are some on this forum who may get upset.

Baked at 350 till crisp.

Let me know if you really want to do this. There is a little prep before the baking.
I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath.

Alec
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4820 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
There is a little prep before the baking.

Stun 'em with a hammer?
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 21:01, slyhand wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 20:00, Bob1Dog wrote:

I don't want to get the PETI people after me. There are some on this forum who may get upset.

Baked at 350 till crisp.

Let me know if you really want to do this. There is a little prep before the baking.

I'da bet on deep frying. Yeah, I'd love the recipe. They're friggin' insects for God's sake. If PETA folks really wish to stoop so low as to speak out on cicada consumption, I'd remind them that vegetables are living things too.

I PMd you.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 21:32, landmark wrote:
Quote:
There is a little prep before the baking.

Stun 'em with a hammer?

Mmmmmmm, fry 'em in some butter and you have cicada pancakes. Serve with eggs and toast. Yummy.

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ya' know folks, I'm a meat and potatoes man.

I'm trying to stretch my imagination, but no matter how I try, I just can't imagine being called a "Crickets and ants" man.

Think I'll stick with "SAD" (Standard American Diet),
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 00:10, daffydoug wrote:
Ya' know folks, I'm a meat and potatoes man.

I'm trying to stretch my imagination, but no matter how I try, I just can't imagine being called a "Crickets and ants" man.

Think I'll stick with "SAD" (Standard American Diet),

The problem with being a crickets and ants man is that you left out a starch. How 'bout lightly floured deep fried crickets with sweet corn on the cob? Then you could be a crickets and corn man? Or just a baked potato and you could be a crickets snd spuds guy? Where's your sense of adventure in the culinary arts?

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Well actually, I am giving due consideration to your post, but man, I don't know....something about the whole idea of consuming arthropods just (ahem) BUGS me.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I love shrimp and crab.

-Mary Mowder
slyhand
View Profile
Inner circle
Good ole Virginia
1890 Posts

Profile of slyhand
They don't taste like either of those, Mary.

They have a nutty/buttery taste. The less you cook them the more buttery they are because they still have a soft center. Smile

Ok, I am wondering how many stomachs I just turned there.

Alec
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14063 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Soft center just did it for me. Only thing I can think about is biting into guts.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I'm just saying they are all arthropods.

I'm not after wanting to eat bugs.

-Mary
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Coming Cicada Invasion...... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL