The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Little advice on books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
Hi there!!

I can't find a better place to ask this: I got some mone for my birthday to get a magic book. I'm very overwhelmed by what's out here, and I can't make a decision. I like them all!!

I'd like a little bit of technique but not much; (mainly cards, but even I was thinking of buying Tarbell Vol1 to try some new things) tricks you can use in real life (family, friends, not professional) and impromptu if possible; I like classics best... and here is a list of what I already have:

Royal Road
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms
Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Scarne on Card Tricks
Card Control and Principles and Deceptions by Arthur Buckley
The Keeper Card, The Unplanned Card Book, Card Marvels and Professional Card Miracles by Paul Gordon.
Close-Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne (in Spanish)
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Jean Hugard
A la Carta by Woody Aragon
Epilogue by Kard Fulves
MINT 2 by Ed Marlo
Freedom of Speech by Dani DaOrtiz
two Roy Walton Booklets
Card Magic of Nick Trost
Trost's Subtle Card Miracles, vol 1

My limit is about $65 (50euro) and I'm thinking of:
Complete Walton, one of the two volumes...,
The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel
Nick Trost's Subtle Card Miracles (one of 2, 3 or 4...)
Dai Vernon's Revelations (if I can find it...)
Tarbell Course (vol 1?)
Any of Lorayne's Classic Collection, though they're a lot higher in price including shipping...

Any advice?! Thank you guys!!
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

George Bernard Shaw
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
John Bannon's Dear Mr. Fantasy can be a good choise
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy Can be had as ebooks on lybrary.com for less than your budget. Easily worth it. If not, I'm pretty sure the dead tree version is around half to 3/4 of your budget (I don't know the exchange rate or what people are charging for books out in Spain). Those are classics for sure.
The Complete Works of Alex Elmsley might be worth looking at, as well as the Annotated Slydini, both available from L&L's ebook library.
If none of the above tickle your fancy, maybe some Juan Tamariz? I'm thinking of picking up Mnemonica pretty soon myself, and I doubt you can go wrong with one of his books.
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
Thanks for your comments.
Jiceh: I'll check out John Bannon's, thanks!
Shikanominarazu: I'd rather have "real" books. I know ebooks are a very good option when it comes to price and you can have them instantly; but I'm pretty sure I'll end up printing them; so the total price will come near the "already printed" editions.
About exchange rate, etc; there's a publisher in Spain, translating great books, releasing awesome editions... BUT, they are quite expensive. You can get The Complete works of Alex Elmsley Vol I, in spanish, at 70euro (about $90). And on top of that, It looks like the printed version is no longer available.
This same publisher has translated Vernon's books, at $70 each. So I find best prices out, in UK or USA. On the other hand, you have to add shipping charges when you buy to these countries, so the solution is buying to UK, (nearer and cheaper shipping), unless you find a great deal in any USA store...
Anyway; is this the book you're talking about, I guess: http://www.worldmagicshop.com/Inner_Card......card.htm

George Bernard Shaw
Shane Cobalt
View Profile
New user
91 Posts

Profile of Shane Cobalt
Your intuition is spot on.

Buy one or both of the Walton books, they are packed with tricks varying in difficulty and use of sleight of hand. Very overlooked considering how many people claim to own and love them.

Great books!
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Hi Charlie,

I'm pretty certain that you're about to be swamped by people recommending their favorite books to you, and I'm certain that there will be a lot of great ideas.

For the books that you yourself mention, certainly going for the Complete Walton volumes will set you up with a lot of material. Personally I've never enjoyed these books as much as others rave about them (though I do not doubt their excellence): so if you want quantity and quality they would be a great option. (on a side note: I'm astounded by the mark up on price of the new editions. I bought mine for £15 a piece, but now they're going for £40 each!)

With regards to Trost and Lorayne, since you already have some books by both of them you should know for yourself whether you liked what you read. Both authors are consistent in that their style is maintained throughout their work. So if you liked all/some/none of the tricks in one of their books, you'll most likely enjoy all/some/none of the tricks in another of their books!

Now for a suggestion of my own.

Carneycopia by John Carney was one of the first books I bought after Card College 1 & 2, and contains a wealth of entertaining and commercial magic. The difficulty ranges from being early intermediate, through to quite advanced, so it'll give you something to keep working on for a while. John Carney is one of the great thinkers in magic, and one picks up on that throughout the book as well, so you're not just benefiting from his magic, but also from his philosophy. This is definitely a modern classic, and now that the book is back in print it can be picked up for a price in your budget.

Regards

Owen
Shikanominarazu
View Profile
Loyal user
256 Posts

Profile of Shikanominarazu
Charlie, that is indeed the book I was recommending. Also another book which would be the 4th in that trilogy called "Ultimate Secrets of Card Magic." I understand your feeling on Ebooks, though they're a godsend when you have to travel.
But all the books I'm seeing above look good to my, so buy what you like.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
All of Harry Lorayne's books are now available as ebooks and are much cheaper the bound versions.
You may be able to get more bang for your buck.

http://www.harryloraynemagic.com/magic-e-books.html

Also, many of the L&L publishing books are available as ebooks.
http://www.llepub.com/
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
I'd just ask Harry (HL)! Smile
TH

Occupy Your Dream
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
Wow! Thanks for all you advice! There's so much to choose from...

Atom339: I love Harry's books! I emailed him about his Card Classics, but I'd have to save a couple of months. The price goes up including shipping... I could buy them in any UK dealer with less shipping costs, but I'd rather get them from the man himself. They're one of those books that will be discontinued, hard to find in the future and a true classic. I hope I can get ALL of them one by one in the near future...

Oh! I forgot to mention I have and old edition of The Expert at the Card Table (the one with the KH on the front)

...and I'm still undecided!!

George Bernard Shaw
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Do you only want books on card magic or all áreas of magic ?
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
Primarily on Card Magic, but I could as well try different areas. Tarbell Vols 1+2 ($50 + shipping) was in the shortlist.
Any advice, george1953?

George Bernard Shaw
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-05-13 06:10, CharliePA wrote:
Hi there!!

I can't find a better place to ask this: I got some mone for my birthday to get a magic book. I'm very overwhelmed by what's out here, and I can't make a decision. I like them all!!

I'd like a little bit of technique but not much; (mainly cards, but even I was thinking of buying Tarbell Vol1 to try some new things) tricks you can use in real life (family, friends, not professional) and impromptu if possible; I like classics best... and here is a list of what I already have:

Royal Road
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms
Abbott's Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks
Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Scarne on Card Tricks
Card Control and Principles and Deceptions by Arthur Buckley
The Keeper Card, The Unplanned Card Book, Card Marvels and Professional Card Miracles by Paul Gordon.
Close-Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne (in Spanish)
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Jean Hugard
A la Carta by Woody Aragon
Epilogue by Kard Fulves
MINT 2 by Ed Marlo
Freedom of Speech by Dani DaOrtiz
two Roy Walton Booklets
Card Magic of Nick Trost
Trost's Subtle Card Miracles, vol 1

My limit is about $65 (50euro) and I'm thinking of:
Complete Walton, one of the two volumes...,
The Card Classics of Ken Krenzel
Nick Trost's Subtle Card Miracles (one of 2, 3 or 4...)
Dai Vernon's Revelations (if I can find it...)
Tarbell Course (vol 1?)
Any of Lorayne's Classic Collection, though they're a lot higher in price including shipping...

Any advice?! Thank you guys!!

CharliePA you have an excellent list to choose from and as money and study permit all should be included in your working library.

I cannot stress enough how important The Tarbell Course in Magic is (the 8 volume series of hardbound volumes) as opposed to the original lessons available in digital form as well as a one volume compilation. Tarbell's essays are as relevant today as they were when he created the course. Some of the patter is outdated but patter should only be used as a guideline anyway; you should create your own presentations. Which leads me to ....

Books on theory and presentation. At this point you are wanting to learn tricks and that's cool, but, to maximize the impact of those effects you need to study some theory and presentation. Magic is a performing art and I am sorry if it seems to many that I constantly harp on this but it is nonetheless a fact.

Books that stand out include Strong Magic and Designing Miracles by Darwin Ortiz, Approaching Magic by David Regal (the essays alone could be a separate book), Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, The Books of Wonder by Tommy Wonder, The Ron Bauer Teach In series of booklets - these are among the greatest bargains in magic. Mr. Bauer teaches so much beyond the mechanics of a given effect.

Lastly, you should add a little time investment on your part: get involved in some live theater! It costs nothing at all financially and what you will learn in terms of stagecraft - and yes even close up magicians need an understanding of it - will repay you a thousandfold. Gary Ouellet in his book Close Up Illusions wrote at length on the close up area as being a stage and as a formally trained actor, I find his theories absolutely spot on.

Namaste,
Vlad

PS: The more astute reader will note that I answered the question from the premise that CharliePA wants to continue to grow in the art and as such, my answer is based on that long term assumption. Magic without presentation is a mere puzzle.
CharliePA
View Profile
New user
Barcelona, Spain
70 Posts

Profile of CharliePA
Vlad, I couldn't agree more.
For me, presentation is really important. Just as the sleights and moves themselves.
There are so many tricks I can do but I never perform (keep in mind just to friends) just because I think the story behind them, the presentation and the motivation on them says nothing to me (and I assume, nothing to who's watching what I do)...
I've never done Out of This Universe because I have never found a suitable patter for me...
That's because, a long time ago, I borrowed a copy of "Strong Magic", and I learnt a lot from it. I should consider buing it... I don't own it and I can't take a look to it when I need to... It should be in my bookshelf!

George Bernard Shaw
duanebarry
View Profile
Special user
883 Posts

Profile of duanebarry
Vlad's suggestion of Approaching Magic by David Regal stands out as supplying a lot of varied tricks as you've requested, plus some nice theory to go along with them. It would likely be a nice fit for you at this point.
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
Mastering the Art of Magic b Eugene Berger.
The Stein and Day Handbook of Magic By M. Kaye
Approaching Magic by David Regal
Any year of APOCALYSE by Harry Lorayne.

...and get out and perform.
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
The old STARS of MAGIC is an incredible book, too.
Learn the effects and you have fantastic routines for life.
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
If you like Paul Gordon I highly recommend GOLD DUST. It's incredible. Much of it has already been included in previous works, but here it's all in one very well presented package. Real WORKERS by the shed load I tell you!
Vincero
View Profile
Veteran user
New Zealand
379 Posts

Profile of Vincero
"Doug Edwards Packs a Wallop" -- Lorayne. His "Card Classics of Ken Krenzel" is also great. These books don't seem to get talked about that much, but they're awesome.
"Which way I fly is Hell; myself am Hell; And in the lowest deep a lower deep
Still threat'ning to devour me opens wide, To which the Hell I suffer seems a Heav'n" -John Milton, (Paradise Lost)
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
^ Shhhhhh!, Vincero!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Little advice on books (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL