The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Two New Roy Kuepper DVDs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
I see Roy Kuepper has two DVDs out - one on Expanded Shells and one on Flippers. Has anyone seen these and can give a review on them?

http://www.wizardhq.com/servlet/the-1475......y/Detail

http://www.wizardhq.com/servlet/the-1475......y/Detail

Not too sure why each DVD has the word Repair in the title as they seem to teaching routine DVDs.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
I thought they were about the care and feeding of his coins, what makes you think they are teaching routines DVDs?
egoli
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
I would have thought that as well except the two descriptions state:

FULL DESCRIPTION

A coin is shown from both sides. The coin is held between the thumb & first finger of the left hand & held by the outside of the coin. The right hand is shown empty & passes in front of the coin. The left hand now displays 2 coins between the same fingers. The right hand now takes one of the coins away leaving one coin between the left thumb & forefinger. The right hand is opened to reveal that the second coin has VANISHED!

This dvd will teach you how to use a flip coin.

No flip coin included.
Product SKU: DVD-3332

Produced by: Roy Kueppers

Performed by: Roy Kueppers

and

FULL DESCRIPTION

Expanded Shell Sets use an expanded shell along with ungaffed inner coins which are hand-picked for an exact size-match as well as for overall appearance matching.

With expanded shells, it is possible (with some searching) to find other ungaffed, matching fits. An expanded shell might also fit your other normal-sized gaffs, like your flipper coin. This dvd will teach you how to use such coins.
Product SKU: DVD-3331

Produced by: Roy Kueppers

Performed by: Roy Kueppers
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Egoli,

If you look on Roy's website, these are listed as "Coin Repair DVDs". The description at Wizard HQ is deceptive, which is surprising for them.

http://www.roykueppers.com/shells.html

Jim
egoli
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
I have just tried to phone Roy and left a message. Hopefully he will phone back soon and clarify what these are. The same description is on all the dealer's sites - Penguin, When You Wish Magic, etc.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7024 Posts

Profile of bowers
Yea the description doesn.t match the title.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
Roy's site doesn't say anything about the dvd's, so I wouldn't 'jump to any conclusions just yet without hearing from Roy.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 22:53, motown wrote:
Roy's site doesn't say anything about the dvd's, so I wouldn't 'jump to any conclusions just yet without hearing from Roy.

Except that he calls them "repair" DVDs, which tells me something.

Jim
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
I just ordered them from Penguin. I'll post a review when they arrive.

Alan
aceofspades71
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of aceofspades71
I think they are just repair dvds.
aceofspades71
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of aceofspades71
But the reiew would be nice in case they are not ... sorry for two posts.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Wow. I just received these DVDs today. I like Roy, and I have some of his coins, but I was extremely disappointed in these. The Expanded Shell Repair DVD is just over 9 minutes long and contains Roy's methods for repairing a Shell. That's all. I actually do not like Roy's methods and prefer either Lassen's bic pen method or Schoolcraft's Tyvek method both of which I think are far more effective and less damaging to a silver coin. Incidentally, you can do a search here on the café and find both Schoolcraft and Lassen's methods fully described on several threads. No need to spend even the lesser amount I spent with Penguin for this DVD (let alone $17). I will mention that in addition to being more reasonably priced, the description of the contents at Penguin was far more accurate, stating "This dvd will teach you how to care and maintain your expanded shell coin gaff."

As for the Flipper Coin Repair DVD, it is forty percent longer (clocking in at 12 minutes 58 seconds). It is a competent tutorial on replacing the band on a flipper, but again that is all. Curiously, it begins with "Welcome to Be My Guest." Repurposing an old video interview? Perhaps someone who has seen other episodes of Be My Guest, might pipe in here as to where this comes from.

Each of these DVDs have the feel of a video instruction disk that would be included with a sale of that type of coin set. No routines at all on either DVD.

Again, I like Roy, but don't waste your money on these DVDs.

Regards,

Alan
egoli
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Roy never did get back to me but thanks Alan for the head's up - you just saved me some money.
BanzaiMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1339 Posts

Profile of BanzaiMagic
Magicians helping magicians and all that.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Roy has a section on fixing shell issues on one of the Reel Magic "on-demand" issues. Can't remember if the flipper is there - don't think so...
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Two New Roy Kuepper DVDs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL