The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O.J. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 15:44, Woland wrote:
Yes, I agree that Mr. Simpson's defense team played every card they held brilliantly.

But you see, Mr. Garcetti did not have to plan every one of his team's mistakes. He knew his prosecutors. He knew that he could assign a team that would have a high likelihood of flubbing the match. He didn't have to know exactly how they would do it, and he didn't even necessarily have to think that they would ultimately go down in flames. He just needed to give Mr. Simpson every possible chance he could.


I am virtually certain that is NOT what happened. Nor do I believe there is any credible evidence to support that theory.

Marcia Clark clearly was not "second string." Just a few years earlier she had successfully prosecuted Robert Bardo for capital murder in his high profile trial for murdering television and film actress Rebecca Schaeffer.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, Bob. You may be right, and I hope you are.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 14:46, critter wrote:
Fuhrman's comments made it a race issue in the eyes of the public and the jury. I believe that when we studied the case in Criminal Justice there were some minor errors made in the investigation that were made to look even larger when he used the phrasing in court that allowed the defense to take advantage of an appearance of bias.


His comments did no such thing.

It was a disgusting tactic to cloud the issue that the defense used. It was sick and let a murderer go free and good for them for doing it. Sick as it was it is legal and it matters to follow the law. I hated him going free but it is what was in that case right.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Since the tapes of Furhman's interview were played in court and revealed that, despite his previous denial, he had in fact used the "n" word many times and admitted to instances of planting false evidence in order to convict a suspect, how can you possibly say that his "comments did no such thing?"

The tapes certainly didn't portray him as a model of racial tolerance.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
They had nothing to do with evidence is my point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 05:24, Dannydoyle wrote:
His comments did no such thing....


Yeah, they did. Or, at the very least, they provided the necessary ammunition that allowed his department's mistakes to be spun as a "set-up" based on race.

Note that I said the perception his idiotic use of the "n" word allowed to occur was an incorrect perception. It should have never been about race and he made it so through his incompetent testimony.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On 2013-05-16 12:47, Dannydoyle wrote:
They had nothing to do with evidence is my point.


Wait... if that was your point then why did you quote me when that was exactly my point? That his comments helped shift attention away from the evidence.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Fuhrman having to take the Fifth on having planted false evidence was even more of a blow IMO.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Not to be overly technical, but the tapes of Fuhrman's comments WERE evidence-- for the defense.

Once he stated under oath that he never used the "n" word, the door was opened to introduce evidence that contradicted his testimony and, thus, his veracity. If the jury believed he lied under oath they could then reasonably conclude that his other testimony was suspect as well. (In jury instructions that is known as "false in one, false in all.")
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
I should have specified "physical" evidence Smile
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The tapes themselves WERE physical evidence. Same as a handwritten document would have been.

(But I knew what you meant. Smile)
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
How the hell did Ronald Goldman's blood get into OJ's house???
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-17 10:53, Al Angello wrote:
How the hell did Ronald Goldman's blood get into OJ's house???


Excellent point. And if the investigators hadn't cast doubt on all of their DNA evidence by mishandling it, it would have been powerful evidence to convict Simpson.

Don't get me wrong, Al. I totally believe that OJ was guilty. The problem was that the prosecution, through its own ineptitude, failed to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Yup the smoking gun.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-05-17 10:53, Al Angello wrote:
How the hell did Ronald Goldman's blood get into OJ's house???


Same way it got on the gate a week after it wasn't.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-05-17 13:22, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-17 10:53, Al Angello wrote:
How the hell did Ronald Goldman's blood get into OJ's house???


Excellent point. And if the investigators hadn't cast doubt on all of their DNA evidence by mishandling it, it would have been powerful evidence to convict Simpson.

Don't get me wrong, Al. I totally believe that OJ was guilty. The problem was that the prosecution, through its own ineptitude, failed to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.


Sadly it was sort of mishandled. As I recall didn't someone leave something in his trunk for a while or whatnot?

But the sad fact is that cases are investigated like that every day in every county in America and around the world. But there is not a team who gets crazy about every word spoken or written down. Fact is they were not really a dream team as they got lucky.

Once the racial stuff got in it was over. The biggest mistake if you ask me was changing the location. That was most definitely not a jury of his peers. It was the beginning of the end if you ask me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I agree. The case should have been tried in Santa Monica where the crime took place. With a death penalty qualified jury.

Regarding the DNA evidence- one of the lab technicians testified that she'd been carrying it around in her pocket for a few days.

I wouldn't underestimate the skills of the "dream team" though. Bailey, for example, knew exactly where he was going and what would result from his cross examination of Fuhrman. And they were FAR quicker on their feet than the prosecution was.

They also stuck to the fundamental rule of cross examination - never ask a question or ask for a demonstration when you don't already know the answer or what the result will be. Prosecutor Dardin thoroughly blew that basic rule when he asked Simpson to try on the bloody glove. And, I agree, that WAS an extremely lucky break for the defense, who skillfully capitalized on it to the max. In fact, it might be said that Johnny Corchoran's line, "If it doesn't fit, you must aquit," will go down as one of the most memorable and effective things ever said in a courtroom.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20242 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
By then it was over. They got lucky. Tricking Furman was the equivalent of out witing a squirrel. Not really brilliant.



The glove thing was just dumb.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
It does looks like he will die in prison.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O.J. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL