The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O.J. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
What do you think? Is he going to get a new trial?
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Nope.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I don't see it happening, too. I don't think it's in the cards.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
He is two years younger than I am.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Have you noticed? The news people seem to be doing all they can to keep from laughing at this one. Apparently the hot money is on 'No Way, not even a good try'.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
For robbery or for murder?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 17:07, Al Angello wrote:
He is two years younger than I am.

Random...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 17:08, Woland wrote:
For robbery or for murder?

Robbery.

He wants a retrial because his lawyer was so incompetent that he got a "guilty" verdict.

According to the news-readers, 'My lawyer was incompetent' is the most popular reason given for a re-trial request. Also, apparently, "B.S." is also the most popular response from the judges.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
His lawyer was the guy that advised him to do the robbery in the first place.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I think it's just a ruse so he can find himself in the limelight again. I think his ego has missed it.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I'm pretty sure wanting to get out of prison is a partial motivation.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Did we just take a teip in the Way Back Machine.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I'm not a lawyer. But if the bits below are all true, does it all count for nothing?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-22515001

Simpson says former defence lawyer, Yale Galanter, was ineffective at the subsequent trial because he had an personal interest in keeping private his own advice to Simpson.

Mr Galanter, according to Simpson, had repeatedly assured him that he could take back items related to his sporting career - items Simpson believed had been stolen - as long as no-one trespassed and no force was used.

The defence lawyer continued to conceal that he had been a witness to the crime, including during an appeal to a state court in 2010, Simpson says.

In a sworn statement outlining his planned testimony, Simpson says Mr Galanter "vigorously discouraged" him from testifying and never told him that prosecutors were willing to let him plead guilty to charges that would have brought a two-year minimum prison term.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 19:30, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'm pretty sure wanting to get out of prison is a partial motivation.

I think it's the only motivation. I seriously doubt that OJ's primary purpose is to regain the limelight.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
[quote]On 2013-05-14 20:02, balducci wrote:

Mr Galanter, according to Simpson, had repeatedly assured him that he could take back items related to his sporting career - items Simpson believed had been stolen - as long as no-one trespassed and no force was used.

He should have followed that good advice and left the guns at home, since that was what turned it into Armed Robbery.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bob is right OJ wants to be free like us, and not famous.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Since the Header is "O.J.", it is not totally off piste to mention salvaging a small Bronze of a foal, today, from a bequest. The artist's mark on the Bronze is "OJ".

OJ Simpson? Most people I know think DNA evidence of a billion to one is ample to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt. Other people feel differently.

I hope the man accused of April Jones' murder doesn't benefit from similar idiocy on the part of a jury.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22510575

A billion to one.

However egregious the police officers involved are, evidence is evidence.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I saw the airhead man Kato Kaelin (had to google) somewhere the other day saying OJ was guilty but he was too scared of him at the time to say so - so lock him up too.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-14 22:05, tomsk192 wrote:
Since the Header is "O.J.", it is not totally off piste to mention salvaging a small Bronze of a foal, today, from a bequest. The artist's mark on the Bronze is "OJ".

OJ Simpson? Most people I know think DNA evidence of a billion to one is ample to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt. Other people feel differently.

I hope the man accused of April Jones' murder doesn't benefit from similar idiocy on the part of a jury.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22510575

A billion to one.

However egregious the police officers involved are, evidence is evidence.

I believe it was prosecutorial incompetence and errors that led to Simpson's acquittal. The DNA evidence (a fairly new technology at the time) was seriously flawed and became a strong point for the defense:

Quote:
Samples from bloody shoeprints leading away from the bodies and from the back gate of the condominium were tested for DNA matches.[10] Initial polymerase chain reaction testing did not rule out Simpson as a suspect. In more precise restriction fragment length polymorphism tests matches were found between Simpson's blood and blood samples taken from the crime scene (both the shoe prints in blood and the gate samples).[9][10]

Police criminalist Dennis Fung testified that this DNA evidence put Simpson at Nicole Brown's townhouse at the time of the murders. But in cross-examination by Barry Scheck, which lasted eight full days, most of the DNA evidence was questioned. Dr. Robin Cotton, of Cellmark Diagnostics, testified for six days.[15] Blood evidence had been tested at two separate laboratories, each conducting different tests.[15]

Despite that safeguard, it emerged during the cross-examination of Fung and the other laboratory scientists that the police scientist Andrea Mazzola (who collected blood samples from Simpson to compare with evidence from the crime scene) was a trainee who carried the vial of Simpson's blood around in her lab coat pocket for nearly a day before handing it over as an exhibit. While two errors had been found in the history of DNA testing at Cellmark, one of the testing laboratories, in 1988 and 1989, the errors were found during quality control tests and had not occurred since.[15] In the 1988 test, one of the companies hired for DNA consulting by Simpson's defense also made the same error.[9] What should have been the prosecution's strong point became their weak link amid accusations that bungling police technicians handled the blood samples with such a degree of incompetence as to render the delivery of accurate and reliable DNA results almost impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.J._Simpso......evidence
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks Bob. I remember DNA evidence was in its infancy back then. What an unfortunate case that was, in terms of precedent...

I'm interested in the view that the prosecution was largely to blame as opposed to the jury.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O.J. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL