The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O.J. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Quote:
The problem was that the prosecution, through its own ineptitude, failed to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt.

But when I suggested to you that Gil Garcetti might have selected a dysfunctional team in order to give O.J. every chance to go free, you derided the idea.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, because I don't for a minute believe that Garcetti intended to fix the case so that Simpson would go free. And there is no credible evidence, IMO, to support that notion.

As I pointed out, Marcia Clark had already successfully prosecuted a high-profile murder case and was one of the best prosecutors Garcetti had.

You make it sound like he sent in a couple of first year prosecutors and some interns.

But I believe that the prosecutor's office seriously overestimated the strength of their case and that it was overconfidence that led to the fundamental errors made during the trial.

But give them credit where credit is due- they convinced the great majority of Americans of Simpson's guilt and many legal observers thought they had presented a solid case.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
@Woland: Nationwide case, national attention, worldwide attention, and you think the prosecutor wants to lose??? I don't think so, not in this world. Even given your unstated subtext, no prosecutor wants to lose a case that if won, could cement his political future, while if lost could make him a goat. He only barely won re-election after that and his career came to a dead halt in 2000. Had he won, he could have run for national or statewide office.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
They want to win. Which is why the cops are always tempted to 'gild the lily'. Often even when there is no real need to they still do it.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi landmark, Based on the recent behavior of many Los Angelenos when they learned of a verdict with which they disagreed, I think that Gil Garcetti had very good reasons to hope that Simpson would be acquitted.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Again, apart from your own speculations, would you mind citing any reputable sources that state Garcetti had hoped for a Simpson acquittal?

The fact that they elected to try the case in Los Angeles rather than Santa Monica and selected a multi-racial jury was sufficent to insure that there wouldn't be a repeat of the Rodney King riots. You seem to be confusing the State's desire to provide a fair trial with a desire to "throw" the case.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I'm sorry, Bob, I was unaware that posting a message in this forum required more than our own thoughts and speculations. I will keep that in mind in the future.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-18 12:41, Woland wrote:
I'm sorry, Bob, I was unaware that posting a message in this forum required more than our own thoughts and speculations. I will keep that in mind in the future.

C'mon Woland. I just asked if you had ANY citations to support the idea that Garcetti threw the case. You seem to have no trouble finding sources to support just about everything else you opine on.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Bob, Thank you for acknowledging that I do cite sources for my comments. I remember this discussion from back when the trial was going on. I have not researched it since then. But you have piqued my curiosity, and I will look.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-05-18 12:01, Woland wrote:
Hi landmark, Based on the recent behavior of many Los Angelenos when they learned of a verdict with which they disagreed, I think that Gil Garcetti had very good reasons to hope that Simpson would be acquitted.

Weighed against statewide or nationwide office those concerns not only vanish in the wind, they work in his favor. As a speculation, it's got no legs.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Except for the fact that this "dream team" of experienced, capable prosecutors bungled the prosecution in several different and highly important ways. As the man said, "eppur si muove. . . ."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-19 09:31, Woland wrote:
Except for the fact that this "dream team" of experienced, capable prosecutors bungled the prosecution in several different and highly important ways. As the man said, "eppur si muove. . . ."

Yes, and the Yankees lost to Seattle 12 to 2 the other day. Doesn't make them incompetent.

Even the best trial attorneys (i.e. the ones that actually try cases rather than plead them all out) have blown cases at one time or another. The Simpson case was just a "perfect storm."
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
It would have been interesting to be a bird on the wall during jury deliberations. This was certainly a case in which race played a part. Even with some of the lying that took place, it seemed to me that some of the evidence was undeniable. Did they HAVE to throw that out? Could they have found him guilty or with the evidence that was allowed or were they forced to find him innocent?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
When Fuhrman refuses to say that he's never planted false evidence before, it's all over in my opinion. How can any juror not find reasonable doubt after that? ( I think OJ was guilty BTW--but were I on that jury, I would have had to declare reasonable doubt. That's the price the LAPD has to pay for keeping guys like Fuhrman on.)
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
The new mayor of Los Angeles, Eric Garcetti, is Gil Garcetti's son.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » O.J. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL