The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Human or extraterrerstrial? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Posted this in the above post.

Just a thought here. It has been asked why would the government hide it if there were visitors from outer space? Ask yourself this. Suppose that a space craft landed at a small local airport or town or whatever. What is the first thing that the government would do? Cordon off the area and make it inaccessible to the public. Why? I don't know. Maybe because they can. Who knows. But you can bet that is what would happen.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Of course they would cordon off the area, if only for safety reasons and to determine any possible danger. And news media from across the country would be there reporting on it. Do you know how many thousands of people would have to be involved in a coverup to prevent the event from becoming public knowledge?

The old saying is still fundamentally true- The only way that three people can keep a secret is if two of them are dead.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 20:45, mastermindreader wrote:
Of course they would cordon off the area, if only for safety reasons and to determine any possible danger. And news media from across the country would be there reporting on it. Do you know how many thousands of people would have to be involved in a coverup to prevent the event from becoming public knowledge?

The old saying is still fundamentally true- The only way that three people can keep a secret is if two of them are dead.

I agree that the news media from across the country would be there to report on it. However I would also bet that they would be no where near the craft. I would also wager that no news helicopters would be allowed to fly over the area. I do not mean to say that they would try and say it never happened. However I am saying they would release only that information they wanted to the public.

It would be nothing like the original movie, "The Day the Earth Stood Still". They hardly had anyone guarding the craft or Klaatu.

"The Day the Earth Stood Still" (the original) still remains my all time favorite Sci Fi movie.

Klaatu barada nikto.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6752 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow. I'm outnumbered here. Interesting Wiki article! OK. I didn't mean to insult anyone. Carl Sagan especially! I guess I'm done here! Good thread, guys! Take care! Smile

Doug
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Acesover-

I agree. The original "The Day the Earth Stood Still" with Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal is, IMO, the best of the classic science-fiction movies of the fifties.

And don't forget Gort!
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 20:10, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 18:45, mastermindreader wrote:
Here's some further relevant information:

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Mars_Anomaly_Research

Thanks Bob! From your link:

**Claims such as these denigrate the hard work of those who are trying to learn about the real Mars. There are thousands of dedicated scientists for whom the discovery of Martian life would be the pinnacle of their careers, the greatest advance in human knowledge of our time. To suggest that these people, including the late Carl Sagan, would intentionally obfuscate evidence of this, is deeply insulting.**

This is so true. The thing that strikes me about the assorted UFO/alien debates is that the REAL facts of the universe, the REAL knowledge that we have gained, is deeply fascinating and much more interesting than any wild speculation or anecdotal stories. The UFO crowd generally dismisses science/astronomy as a boring and ultimately fruitless endeavor at best, and at worst, as conspiratorial. UFO stories satisfy their thirst for the sensational and the incredible, as well as connecting them to the universe at large. I understand that feeling very well. But a serious pursuit of astronomy will provide that same feeling 10 times over! Astronomy provides so many amazing facts about the universe we inhabit that you can't help but be in awe! Furthermore, how we came to know these things is equally inspiring. Black holes, neutron stars, supernovae, etc. are all REAL, and therefore provide wonderment that no half-baked UFO story ever could. Did you know that every atom in your body at this moment came from a star that died? And that the atoms in your left hand may have come from a different star than the atoms in your right hand? We know this to be true. Think of that when you look at the night sky. These precious gems of knowledge that we have ingeniously teased from the universe are the sorts of things that amaze me. The sensational (though unfounded) stories of UFOs can never measure up to the mind blowing KNOWN facts of the universe.

Ron
:)

Very well said Ron Smile

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20383 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People find it hard to believe but the truth is sometimes boring. Every small town has something they are "hiding" . Turns out that it is invariably a boring reason. Facts are facts and speculation without training is absurd.

We have scientific methods for determining things. What people call common sense is not the method. Look at the stock in the water analogy. Common sense tells you it is bent. You can see with your own eyes it is bent! Science tells us different.

Not any science is perfect. But it is as close as we can get. Doug you seem like a good guy. Most people who fall for this nonsense are. Stop watching the History Channel.

I have said it for years. People who are serious are hindered by the false claims.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
There is an actual dedicated organization that has been actively seeking extraterrestrials using modern tools and scientific methods for the past 30 years. It is called SETI. You can read about them and their work here:

http://www.seti.org/

These are people who have a keen interest in finding life beyond earth. They are smart, motivated, and dedicated. Yet, to date, their findings don't include "crashed saucers", or "alien copses", or "35 mile long machines on the Moon." Why is that? You would think that after 30 years of dogged pursuit, after 30 years of WANTING to find something, and with tremendous resources and technology at their disposal, they would have made a major announcement by now. But they haven't. And they still toil away without any fanfare. This is how science is done. This is how REAL discoveries come about.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
197 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 05:07, Dannydoyle wrote:
People find it hard to believe but the truth is sometimes boring. Every small town has something they are "hiding" . Turns out that it is invariably a boring reason. Facts are facts and speculation without training is absurd.

We have scientific methods for determining things. What people call common sense is not the method. Look at the stock in the water analogy. Common sense tells you it is bent. You can see with your own eyes it is bent! Science tells us different.

Not any science is perfect. But it is as close as we can get. Doug you seem like a good guy. Most people who fall for this nonsense are. Stop watching the History Channel.

I have said it for years. People who are serious are hindered by the false claims.

I agree - Doug does seem like a great guy! And I also agree that The History Channel has jumped the shark long ago. These days it's neither history nor science. It's sensationalism that pretends to be credible. It knows there is more interest (and ratings) in the "aliens built the pyramids" type stories than in the less sensational truth. Don't buy into it.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 15:54, Dannydoyle wrote:
I think the most certain proof of intelligent life on other planets is the fact they have not tried to contact us.

Much truth there actually.

We are not ready for the truth and THEY know it.

Like little children we are now to them. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
So it seems, that if there is life out there, the distances are just so vast to ever find out with the current mode of space travel. We would definitely need light speed space craft at the very least to ever reach these planets. So until then we can just speculate and discuss the possibilities of life out there because there is no way we can know for sure.

So unless life out there has advanced so far as to have the capabilities to reach us, we are not going to meet them any time soon. Discounting the possibility that they came all this way and had a mishap and we found their remains or they want to contact us it will remain just a fantasy of our fertile minds as to whether life exists out there.

TO BAD SO SAD. Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 10:25, acesover wrote:
So it seems, that if there is life out there, the distances are just so vast to ever find out with the current mode of space travel. We would definitely need light speed space craft at the very least to ever reach these planets. So until then we can just speculate and discuss the possibilities of life out there because there is no way we can know for sure.

So unless life out there has advanced so far as to have the capabilities to reach us, we are not going to meet them any time soon. Discounting the possibility that they came all this way and had a mishap and we found their remains or they want to contact us it will remain just a fantasy of our fertile minds as to whether life exists out there.

TO BAD SO SAD. Smile

Never discount blind luck. It could be that somebody isn't too far away and we stumble upon each other. And maybe they'll be nicer to strangers than homo sapiens has historically been. Don't think I'd like to be transported to an intergalactic zoo.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
One theory is we're descendants of aliens who got here many aeons ago.

Better thinking there than being reprimanded for eating an apple I say. Smile
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Klaatu barada nikto, and all that jazz.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The ending of Battlestar Galactica more like it.

Check it out.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4921 Posts

Profile of landmark
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ending of Battlestar Galactica.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HS7lAuJBxE0

Smile
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2884 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've always wondered (OK, since I was a kid, anyway), why we always seem to think that alien civilizations always have to be more advanced than us. Granted there probably wouldn't be any point in a story where we go and find a planet full of two-pound, inedible land-based green lobsters that feed on blue cacti and secrete Chanel #1, but I would think that qualifies as life too. Smile

Landmark - love the cartoon! LMFAO!!!!!!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 12:05, George Ledo wrote:
I've always wondered (OK, since I was a kid, anyway), why we always seem to think that alien civilizations always have to be more advanced than us. Granted there probably wouldn't be any point in a story where we go and find a planet full of two-pound, inedible land-based green lobsters that feed on blue cacti and secrete Chanel #1, but I would think that qualifies as life too. Smile

Landmark - love the cartoon! LMFAO!!!!!!

That is almost undisputed that it is highly likely there'll be some kind of life form, at least bacterium.

It's intelligent life we're looking for...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Here's the ending that I was looking for...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=end......gBk&NR=1
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Human or extraterrerstrial? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL