The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Human or extraterrerstrial? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 09:46, Dougini wrote:
Excellent point about reaching light speed. The biggest problem is, time moves at the speed of light. When you reach light speed, time stops altogether! Not a good way to travel. There's this "infinite density" thing as well, but I won't go into that.

I don't want to get all religious on you, but have you heard of The Watchers?

Of COURSE I have! They warned us about Galactus back in the 60's. (And broke their rule about only watching by telling Reed where to find a weapon to stop Galactus.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watcher_(comics)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Totally took my what if reference.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I am just wondering here and perhaps I missed something. But why do these life forms we are talking about have to be from another galaxy? I mean why can't they be a lot closer? Like right here in our own galaxy. They can still be very hard to find and if they are so clever. I am sure they can hide from us and maybe screw up sometimes and show themselves accidently (Roswell etc.). Smile They don't have to come from another galaxy. Therefore making the time distance thing moot. Cripes we are still finding planets in our own galaxy. Just saying that these life forms we are talking about cold be much closer than the distances we are discussing. Are we even sue there is no life on any of the planets that we know of for a long time, like Venus or Neptune or Saturn to name a few?

It really does not make any difference how close the nearest star is from our sun. Does it? I mean if so why?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I say they're from Uranus. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Good point, Aces! Smile Supposedly some come from Zeta II Reticuli and another comes from Barnard's Star, but regardless. Right here in our own solar system is proof! I mean who built the gigantic machine that sits on the edge of the Moon's Zeeman Crater?? I got an uncensored pic of that machine. I'll attach it here if I can.

OK, it's there. Now, wait'll I tell you how big this is:

35 miles long end to end.
13.5 miles tall at the tallest point
3.5 miles thick

Now. I don't believe that's one of ours. Caterpillar has not reached that stage yet. Needless to say, I am pretty impressed.

Doug

Click here to view attached image.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Do you fully understand just how big our own galaxy actually is?

Certainly you do not mean to imply we have a planet full of advanced enough life to visit us without our knowing for all this time and we just haven't seen them yet?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:43, Dannydoyle wrote:

Certainly you do not mean to imply we have a planet full of advanced enough life to visit us without our knowing for all this time and we just haven't seen them yet?

But we wouldn't right?

If they're really really much more advanced than us, we wouldn't see them...

They'd have like cloaking devices and all that invisibility stuff... Smile

Except for the few accidents.

That's the theory they always tell me.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Fantastic how that theory allows to disregard science as well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:34, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Ha, ha. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:51, Dannydoyle wrote:
Fantastic how that theory allows to disregard science as well.

Of course the whole thing disregards science. Hey, if they can die for a Sphagetti Monster you know... Smile

What's aliens?

Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:54, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:34, Pakar Ilusi wrote:

Ha, ha. Smile

Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Some insight into the nature of photographs like this:

http://www.badastronomy.com/bad/misc/hoagland/artifacts.html
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:49, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:

But we wouldn't right?

Suppose this was 50 years ago. And suppose we were flying over the deepest part of Africa which has yet to be explored. But there are people living there. Of course they are backward. Now lets suppose our plane develops engine problems or runs out of fuel because someone forgot to fill up because he was out partying the night before. Suppose we crash and the primitives find us and our downed plane. Wow. Suppose some of us survive for a while with these natives and we show them our neat stuff. Such as a cigarette lighter or even a book or matches. Lets get crazy we show them a gun. Again WOW. Or suppose we all are killed and they find these things. WOW.

Do you see my point? Accidents happen all the time no matter how advanced some one is or how much they take care. That is why they are called accidents.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 21:06, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:49, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:

But we wouldn't right?

Suppose this was 50 years ago. And suppose we were flying over the deepest part of Africa which has yet to be explored. But there are people living there. Of course they are backward. Now lets suppose our plane develops engine problems or runs out of fuel because someone forgot to fill up because he was out partying the night before. Suppose we crash and the primitives find us and our downed plane. Wow. Suppose some of us survive for a while with these natives and we show them our neat stuff. Such as a cigarette lighter or even a book or matches. Lets get crazy we show them a gun. Again WOW. Or suppose we all are killed and they find these things. WOW.

Do you see my point? Accidents happen all the time no matter how advanced some one is or how much they take care. That is why they are called accidents.

I got you. Smile

I'm open to Aliens more than The Spaghetti Monster.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 21:03, mastermindreader wrote:

If you keep this up, you're going to forfeit your new Bobini name.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 00:10, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

One of the most amusing ironies I've found is that many of the same folks who originally promoted the curious notion that the Apollo moon landings were all faked are the same ones who are now using photos and evidence gained from those missions as "proof" that aliens once were on the moon.
kambiz
View Profile
Inner circle
Perth, down by the cool of the pool
1129 Posts

Profile of kambiz
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 00:31, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 00:10, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

One of the most amusing ironies I've found is that many of the same folks who originally promoted the curious notion that the Apollo moon landings were all faked are the same ones who are now using photos and evidence gained from those missions as "proof" that aliens once were on the moon.

LOL too true, too true!!

Kam
If I speak forth, many a mind will shatter,
And if I write, many a pen will break.
.....and when I consider my own self, lo, I find it coarser than clay!
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:24, acesover wrote:
I am just wondering here and perhaps I missed something. But why do these life forms we are talking about have to be from another galaxy? I mean why can't they be a lot closer? Like right here in our own galaxy. They can still be very hard to find and if they are so clever. I am sure they can hide from us and maybe screw up sometimes and show themselves accidently (Roswell etc.). Smile They don't have to come from another galaxy. Therefore making the time distance thing moot. Cripes we are still finding planets in our own galaxy. Just saying that these life forms we are talking about cold be much closer than the distances we are discussing. Are we even sue there is no life on any of the planets that we know of for a long time, like Venus or Neptune or Saturn to name a few?

It really does not make any difference how close the nearest star is from our sun. Does it? I mean if so why?

As I stated earlier, the CLOSEST star to our Sun (in our own galaxy) is 4.2 light years away (about 25 trillion miles). We are located on the outskirts of the Milky Way and our radio transmissions have only propagated to less than one one-HUNDREDTH of the way to the center of the galaxy. So any intelligent civilizations that are out there must then be 1) monitoring their skies for signs of technology, and 2) must be located inside the very small slice of the galaxy within the radius of our transmissions. And given that those 2 conditions have been met, then they must 3) care enough (and have the ability) to mount a massive time and energy consuming mission to our little corner of the galaxy.

As far as our own Solar system, it's highly unlikely that advanced life forms exist outside of Earth. It seems there are only 2 planets in our solar system which would be conducive to advanced life - Earth and maybe Mars. We've studied Mars exhaustively, and we're still trying to determine if there is intelligent life on Earth. Smile The other planets are either too gaseous, too cold, too hot, too susceptible to harmful radiation, etc.

The "hiding" thing I never understood. Why would they have to hide? UFO proponents use that rational in order to explain why there is no good evidence for UFOS. "Why, they're hiding of course!" Sorry, that's a cop out. And besides, there is 1 group of people who are constantly monitoring the skies. They are professionals and they have instruments to help them - they don't rely on eyewitness accounts. They are all the astronomers in the world! And why is it that THEY don't report UFOs?? That's because they know what they're looking at! The UFO reports mainly come from laymen who mistake weather balloons, meteors, aircraft, anomalous clouds, low orbit satellites, Venus, or something else for UFOs. Not to mention the few who actually perpetrate hoaxes.

Ron
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:

Thank you Bob!

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
This photo I put up is NOT an artifact of photography! Two satellites, a Chinese and an Americam got this same photo. However when the photo was published, the "machine" was blurred out. WHY?

Again, it doesn't matter. Just remember this conversation. Laugh if you want. I'll laugh right along with you! It seems outrageous, ludicrous, and a complete fantasy! I'm not trying to convince you. I'm just putting up the little bit of info I have, for those who have an open mind.

Doug
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 06:45, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 20:24, acesover wrote:

As I stated earlier, the CLOSEST star to our Sun (in our own galaxy) is 4.2 light years away (about 25 trillion miles). We are located on the outskirts of the Milky Way and our radio transmissions have only propagated to less than one one-HUNDREDTH of the way to the center of the galaxy. So any intelligent civilizations that are out there must then be 1) monitoring their skies for signs of technology, and 2) must be located inside the very small slice of the galaxy within the radius of our transmissions. And given that those 2 conditions have been met, then they must 3) care enough (and have the ability) to mount a massive time and energy consuming mission to our little corner of the galaxy.

As far as our own Solar system, it's highly unlikely that advanced life forms exist outside of Earth. It seems there are only 2 planets in our solar system which would be conducive to advanced life - Earth and maybe Mars. We've studied Mars exhaustively, and we're still trying to determine if there is intelligent life on Earth. Smile The other planets are either too gaseous, too cold, too hot, too susceptible to harmful radiation, etc.

The "hiding" thing I never understood. Why would they have to hide? UFO proponents use that rational in order to explain why there is no good evidence for UFOS. "Why, they're hiding of course!" Sorry, that's a cop out. And besides, there is 1 group of people who are constantly monitoring the skies. They are professionals and they have instruments to help them - they don't rely on eyewitness accounts. They are all the astronomers in the world! And why is it that THEY don't report UFOs?? That's because they know what they're looking at! The UFO reports mainly come from laymen who mistake weather balloons, meteors, aircraft, anomalous clouds, low orbit satellites, Venus, or something else for UFOs. Not to mention the few who actually perpetrate hoaxes.

Ron

I am not saying there is life other than what is here on earth. Because I don't know. But I do consider this a g reat beer and pretzels topic. However I don't know how you can make a statement like the one you made: "As far as our own Solar system, it's highly unlikely that advanced life forms exist outside of Earth. It seems there are only 2 planets in our solar system which would be conducive to advanced life - Earth and maybe Mars". Now if you added the words "as we know it". I could go along with it. Whatever conditions exist anywhere with evolution why is it not possible for "some sort of life to start" and evolve into who knows what? Again I am not saying life exists elsewhere because as I have stated I really don't know whether it does or not.

I really don't have any idea how much of our own galaxy our astronomers can cover 24/7. But by guess is that it is rather minute considering the vastness we are talking about. Compounded by the fact of observing, finding something as small as a vessel from another planet I believe the chances of this are rather remote if not downright impossible except by chance. Chance caused by as mentioned before an accident.

Again let me say that I am not here saying that other life especially intelligent life exists anywhere else but here on good old earth, because I don't know. And I use the term intelligent life here on earth with tongue in cheek. Smile But it is a fun topic to ponder. pic.

Just think about it. With the analogy you gave with the softball pinhead etc. how much we cannot cover just here in our own galaxy. Take a grain of sand and cast it from a plane over the largest desert known then go back a year later and try and find it. From what I gather that is about how vast the universe is and about the same chance of finding life if it exists. Of course it all depends on how abundant that life is and how many forms or it exist. Is there only one other intelligent life form out there? Why would that be? if there are two why not 3 why not 4 why not 5 thousand etc. It seems as the numbers we are dealing with are so staggering and cannot be imagined. That is why religion comes into so many discussions of a topic such as this.

The catach phrase, "WE ARE NOT ALONE", is fun to ponder and discuss. But lets not take ourselves to seriously on this because we just don't know.

Many ask why would a very intelligent life form want to bother with us? Same reason we do research on all sorts of life forms found here on earth. To discover things and possibly find where we came from. Don't you think these intelligent life forms would like to know where they originated...maybe they came from things like people on that speck in space called earth. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Human or extraterrerstrial? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL