The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question for the Lawyers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Why do commentators and Congressmen often address the Attorney General as "General"? Does that make any sense? I thought that the noun in that title was "Attorney" and the adjective was "General," not that the "Attorney General" holds a general's rank, like a "Lieutenant General" or a "Major General." (Much less a "Modern Major General.")
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The proper form of address is "Mr. Attorney General."
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-05-15 16:51, Woland wrote:
Why do commentators and Congressmen often address the Attorney General as "General"?

Either ignorance or stupidity. I leave it to you to decide which.

Quote:
Does that make any sense?

It does if they're ignorant or stupid.

Quote:
I thought that the noun in that title was "Attorney" and the adjective was "General," . . . .

It is; hence, the plural: Attorneys General.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The guy at this link agrees with you all, but adds a bit more to the discussion ...

http://www.formsofaddress.info/attorney_general.html

Excerpt:

My first reaction is that you are right -- I am not familiar with General being used as an honorific for an Attorney General. The Attorney General of the United States is addressed most formally as Mr. Attorney General.

I mentioned the question to a room full of trainees at The Protocol School of Washington's Protocol Officer Training and they thought the use was bizarre. But most of them were from the government and military where they have plenty of generals in uniform wearing stars.

But I do see on the National Association of Attorneys General website they use General (Surname) in the bios of some of their member attorneys general.

Still not quite believing it I spoke to Chris Young, Chief of Protocol, State of Georgia and an attorney. He says attorneys general and solicitors general are addressed and referred to as General (Surname) in courtroom settings. He says in federal and state supreme and appellate court proceedings you will see references to attorney generals as General (Surname).

A law librarian at the Library of Congress did some research on this at my request and confirms in oral arguments, court documents record the Attorney General and Solicitor General as "Gen. (full name), Esq."

Got an e-mail from BF who said "Spoke with an acquaintance who is a retired Judge Advocate General Corps brigadier general and now a law professor. He indicated the use of “general” started with US Attorney General Janet Reno, when some in the media hung the title on her as a result of her role in “the defeat of Branch Davidian forces at the 1993 Battle of Waco.” Over the years there have been increasing cases of misuse of the title by those who don’t realize that “general” in attorney general is not a title but an adjective used to modify/describe the noun attorney.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question for the Lawyers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL