The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do they have this in Finland? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Hey guys I'll be doing a show in Finland this week and I'm wondering...What's the name of an Office Depot or Office Max type of store?...just somewhere that sells office supplies because I will need to get a board for my magic square.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Looks like Staples, for one. http://www.staples.eu/finland/

Good luck with your shows! Let us know how you make out.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Shouldn't that have been included in your rider?

My artist friend includes what type of pads, markers and easel he requires for performance, only to find them waiting for him when he arrives at the venue.

When I use video projection, clients provide that - and of course, sound.

In the future, I'd recommend adding it - clients have no problem providing these and it saves you additional hassle.
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10241 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Don't kid yourself, the purpose of his post was to boast to all the kiddies that he's got a gig in Finland. I'm sure Benji knows how to use the Internet to find out his own answers and is fully capable and resourceful of locating a piece of cardboard. If not, perhaps he shouldn't be traveling to Finland? Give me a break!
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I knew the purpose of his post Mindpro - which is why I pointed out the rider - which should be common sense knowledge to someone like Benji who is trying to sell business advice.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
A silly question and the purpose is transparent.
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Quote:
On 2013-05-19 23:02, charliecheckers wrote:
Looks like Staples, for one. http://www.staples.eu/finland/

Good luck with your shows! Let us know how you make out.

Thanks Charlie
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Well he sure had me fooled. I was about to tell him to just take one with him. Smile

tacrowl, Does your friend really ask for his work tools? Just seems odd to me that someone would ask for supplies. Well maybe I can understand how the artist is different.

I can see providing a projector or sound, but don't think I would like hiring a carpenter without a hammer. lol

Good Luck Benji. Stay safe.

Tom
The Daycare Magician Book
https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/amazekids/the-daycare-magician/

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
When travelling out of country, it's best to ask for supplies (especially large sized supplies sourced from everyday office supply stores).
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10241 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, most professionals I know ask for everything in a Rider when working the road or traveling. That is one of the exact purposes of a Rider. Tacrowl and Scott are absolutely correct. Next will come a book or a program on how to get booked in Finland or "The Findland Experience".

And again, selective responses. Some things never change.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Ya found it odd to place this kind of question here. I would have thought to ask the event producer, but oh well. Suprised he didn't say how much he is getting paid either lol.
Josh
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Perhaps it should have gone this way:

Benji: "Hey guys, guess what! I booked a gig in Finland. I'm super proud and excited about hitting an international milestone in my career"

Me: "Wow, Benji, great job! It's nice to hear that you're hitting your goals."
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree Scott, that would had been much better.

But still, Benji would had been attacked by some regardless.

I do wish him well on the trip.

Tom

When you come to the point where you have no need to impress anybody, your freedom will begin.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
It's just so disingenuous that it approaches insulting. Like trying to pick up a girl at the bar by mentioning offhandedly that "I have the Ferrari in the shop this week and I can't believe they stained my $5000 suit.".
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10241 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
That is the EXACT point of everything about Benji. Every idea, contribution, product release, tweet...everything is always done from the same perspective. It is a very boasting, braggart-based, self-proclaimed position in which it comes from. This is very transparent, self-fulfilling and quickly recognized by everyone. To me this was always the irony with Benji and his whole created image is The Charming Mentalist. His tactics, methods and delivery are a direct conflict with the more humble and lovable-ness of "charming".

This is where his youth and inexperience shows through the most. This is EXACTLY what I have been stating from the very beginning if his guru-ness.

Just for the record I think Benji is a great performer, has great energy and intentions, but it's his packaging, delivery, demeanor and presentation which is the most off-putting. The true problem is this is what he is teaching.

I can tell you all the stuff he does and the efforts he puts into social media, forums, videos, web sites and so on would be soooooo much more effective and less off-putting if he in fact was more "charming"and socially and professionally humble as in Scott's example above.

In reality about the time Benji was starting in all of this stuff, Scott was also starting to move into his current directions. I've exchanged PM's emails and phone conversations with these guys during this time. What I find interesting is the acceptance, support, warmth and encouragement that Scott has received from almost everyone. I can't remember one single person who wasn't encouraging and supportive of Scott in a very positive manner. On the other hand, Benji has irritated many, confused others, and has come from a more, he'd probably say "confident" demeanor, which I and others seem to perceive as "cocky" or "arrogant". Two guys starting out at the same time, but with two entirely different approaches, perceptions and results. Now if we feel it here, it also stands to reason that their clients, customers and associates would experience this on some level as well.

I participated in a entertainment conference a few months back that used several people as "wrong" or "ineffective" examples of entertainment marketing and social media. It was someone else's event, and unbeknownst to me Benji was one of the examples they used. What I found funny is I had nothing to do with it, didn't know it was part of his presentation, and no one there knew that I was Mindpro, yet during the Q&A after the presentation I when I was asked my opinion I gave this very same advice.

Scott just demonstrated this quite well.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2944 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 13:13, Scott Burton wrote:
It's just so disingenuous that it approaches insulting. Like trying to pick up a girl at the bar by mentioning offhandedly that "I have the Ferrari in the shop this week and I can't believe they stained my $5000 suit.".

Oh Scott, surely you used that line before too. LOL

Seriously, We shouldn't assume we know what people are thinking, should we?

And if so, is it more important to be right or to be kind?

I've always believed that when you have nothing to lose, it's important to put kindness first.

Sort of like the Robert Brault quote:

"Today I bent the truth to be kind, and I have no regret, for I am far surer of what is kind than I am of what is true.”

Of course that's just me, others are different.

Tom

Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2918 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 13:28, TomBoleware wrote:
Seriously, We shouldn't assume we know what people are thinking, should we?

And if so, is it more important to be right or to be kind?

First off, that's what most of us make our living doing: telling people what they are thinking.

Second, if we know what Benji is thinking, and we find it insulting, then it will be hard to find a human being on the planet who will outright return kindness to a previous unkind action. It is basic animal instinct.

Tom, I get you want to be supportive, but being supportive and reinforcing negative behavior (because you don't want to sound like the bad guy) are two different things. To be kind to him would NOT to be a yes-man.

Benji, congrats on your show. I'm sure that's all you wanted to hear. Or, if it was only because you wanted people to sign up for your steadyflow program, then you are a terrible indirect persuader and this is proof it is not worth signing up for.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Tom, if I was embarrassing myself, please be kind enough to inform me of this so that I may correct my actions.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 11:11, TomBoleware wrote:
tacrowl, Does your friend really ask for his work tools?

Tom -
He does. These are everyday items that can be located by the client at the host city, rather than paying for Fed-Ex or other forms of shipping. It isn't like they are being asked to provide magic props. Either way, they would pay for these supplies.

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

MT
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of MT
Mindpro, I don't think you should publicly blast someone like this in a public forum. All he asked was about a Staples type store. We shouldn't assume we know a person's motive. Please don't blast me for saying these things, but I just don't think you should say all these things publicly. It can really damage someone's reputation in an unfair way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Do they have this in Finland? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL