The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Upsetting. Too close to home... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of atouchofmagic1
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/......713.html

I don't know this girl personally, but I feel for her and her family. I'm shocked to see my small town make national news... It was a consensual relationship but the younger kids parents press charges. Very sad indeed.

-Bobby
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow, Bobby! That's one for the books! I'm not a fan of the gay lifestyle at all. I'm just beginning to reluctantly accept it. Long story why. That said, today, I don't care what goes on behind closed doors of consenting adults. To each his/her own.

The problem here, is, an 18 year old and a 15 year old. If this was hetero, the same rule would apply. An adult, vs. a minor. The law has them there. However, I agree...this is a travesty. I wonder if the parents realize the impact of what they've put in motion?

Doug
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
I think in some states there is a leniency in the statutory rape laws if the adult is only a couple of years older than the minor.
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2716 Posts

Profile of lunatik
It's just plain stupidity that the 18 yr old adult put not only themselves, but a minor in this situation.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 10:22, Dougini wrote:

The problem here, is, an 18 year old and a 15 year old. If this was hetero, the same rule would apply. An adult, vs. a minor.

This.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It'll be interesting to see what happens to the board members who removed her from school in violation of a court order, apparently.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
The law has to draw a line somewhere, and that line has been clearly drawn.

The law is designed to protect children, not adults.

Adults have an obligation to obey the law, and I disagree with the original post that it was a consensual relationship. Children, by law, cannot consent to a sexual relationship with an adult.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
If I found out an 18 year old guy was having sex with my 15 year old daughter, I suspect I'd want to press charges too, even if it was consensual.
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

From what I've heard from people that know both parties involved where that they started seeing eachother so to speak a year before the young women in question reached adulthood.

I myself have a four year age difference between my wife and I and I believe but am not sure that the state of Florida allows consensual relationships between an adult and minor within a three year age difference given its consensual.

That's what I was told by people in town talking about it.

This poor girl could loose everything over this... I'm not saying I condone this type of thing but it still must be very upsetting for both the young ladies in question.

-Bobby
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

And before speculation ensues. My wife was 18 when we met I was 22 we've been together for 5 years. Just don't want people assuming I myself did this type of thing...

Still upsetting. I also heard it had a lot to do with the younger girls parents religious beliefs more then anything else.. but again that's what I heard...

-Bobby
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Atouchofmagic1,

There is absolutely no problem with the age difference between you and your wife because you are both ADULTS.

Even if this relationship started when one girl was a year below the age of consent, she would have known the law - everyone knows that law - she could have even continued the relationship - all she couldn't do was have sex - if the love is so strong surely she could wait?

I don't think the age of consent laws are appropriate to every situation BUT the line has to be drawn somewhere - it has been clearly drawn and everyone knows what it is.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 12:00, Destiny wrote:
The law has to draw a line somewhere, and that line has been clearly drawn.

The law is designed to protect children, not adults.

Adults have an obligation to obey the law, and I disagree with the original post that it was a consensual relationship. Children, by law, cannot consent to a sexual relationship with an adult.

I agree that for practical reasons, a line has to be drawn somewhere, but this is to some extent what is termed a "legal fiction" - something we pretend to be true for the sake of the law that isn't really true. The notion that a 17 year old girl is incapable of sexual consent the day before her birthday but magically transforms the next day is silly. Or that a 17 year old girl in one state is "incapable of consent" but a 16 year old girl in another state is "capable of consent" because they happened to pass a different law. The older girl in this case went from a co-victim to a sexual predator on her birthday. Seriously?

Maybe we could at least adjust the driving age. I'd feel more comfortable knowing that a high school student who isn't capable of deciding whom (s)/he wants to foll around with won't be operating a piece of 2000-pound machinery at 65 mph on a busy freeway.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
To me, the interesting issue here is that both girls were apparently minors when the relationship began. Had there been a complaint the day before the older girl turned eighteen, there would be no basis for criminal charges.

Despite the legal fiction, I think that has to be considered as a mitigating factor here.
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
Equality is a B****
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

What gets to me is the parents of the victim waited to press charges or take action until the girl hit 18. They knew of the relationship long before that.. This from what I heard is them taking there stance on homosexuality. Had this been an 18 year old Christian man I don't think the parents would have said a word. But they blamed their daughters homosexuality on the older girl... What a joke....

-Bobby
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
I didn't realize that 18 year old Christian men were allowed to partake in pre-marital sex...
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1191 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-05-20 13:14, atouchofmagic1 wrote:
What gets to me is the parents of the victim waited to press charges or take action until the girl hit 18. They knew of the relationship long before that.. This from what I heard is them taking there stance on homosexuality. Had this been an 18 year old Christian man I don't think the parents would have said a word. But they blamed their daughters homosexuality on the older girl... What a joke....

-Bobby

Were there charges to press before she was 18?

atouchofmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

No Lobo, there were not. But who the hell lets there 14 ye old date a 17 yr old??? but yet you will patiently wait until they turn 18 only to crucify them shortly after??? You would think they would have put an end to it sooner ...

-Bobby
Salguod Nairb
View Profile
Room 101
-3 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
There's only one victim here and it's not the 18 year old.
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Sometimes I feel the "mitigating circumstances" defense has been squeezed of all its juice. When people who can afford 6+ years of college, during which they are schooled on how to pick the most logical argument apart, oppose criminal behavior, we are fast approaching a time when everyone goes free.

Would it not be better to just go on the bald facts?

1. What is the law?

2. Was it violated?

3. What is the penalty according to law?

4. Pay for the dance.

"If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools"...

Indeed...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Upsetting. Too close to home... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL