The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Cult of Money (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
A wise man said:

Quote:
selfish fiscal evasion and corruption had taken on worldwide dimensions.

He called for financial reforms "along ethical lines that would produce in its turn an economic reform to benefit everyone".

Speaking of financial markets he said: "A new, invisible and at times virtual, tyranny is established, one which unilaterally and irremediably imposes its own laws and rules."

In many cases, the value of people was judged by their ability to consume, he added.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Wise words indeed.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Very similar to what somebody else recently said, I guess, in another thread.

But let's take them up, one by one.

What exactly does 'financial reforms "along ethical lines that would produce in its turn an economic reform to benefit everyone" ' mean, anyway?
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I think financial institutions and instruments have become increasingly complex and opaque with increased computing power and globalisation, and there has been criminal behaviour as a result - criminal behaviour that has either been difficult to prosecute, or escaped through a reluctance to prosecute.

I took from his words that he thinks laws should be updated to ensure financial institutions and instruments are honest and comprehensible, and that they should be prosecuted when they are not.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Doesn't seem like such a radical or revolutionary notion to me, then.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Not at all - I think everyone knows it but no one is doing anything about it. Citizens would appreciate it, but politicians are sitting on their hands, waiting to see what happens.

A little prompting from the head of a group of 1.2 billion people might well be the necessary jolt.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

I agree. It's not radical or revolutionary at all. It's just something that needs to be addressed.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Radical. Search his emails. Attach a GPS to his car. What Library books is he reading anyway?
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-05-20 13:21, landmark wrote:
Radical. Search his emails. Attach a GPS to his car. What Library books is he reading anyway?

Does he get a free Vatican library card?
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4808 Posts

Profile of landmark
Can I sleep over in this thread? The other thread has a lot of noise going on and I can't sleep.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15933 Posts

Profile of tommy
We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money.

- The Spanish Prisoner
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2013-05-21 08:51, landmark wrote:
Can I sleep over in this thread? The other thread has a lot of noise going on and I can't sleep.

I just quote Charles Dickens, "Bah.'. Humbug!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Cult of Money (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL