The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » British soldier beheaded on busy London street (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well there some trouble going on now

Later
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
My condolences to you, tommy. What an awful trouble indeed. Richard Fernandez noted:

Quote:
This incident illustrates, if nothing else, the endpoint of the social engineering of the West. It has been remarkably effective. From a certain point of view the British crowd behaved perfectly and this is the way “they” all want us to behave. The populace sheltered in place, didn’t do anything rash, talked to the perpetrators as people. They waited for the police to come and the hospital helicopter to take the corpse away. Some will doubtless get counseling to overcome their shattering experience.

And then they will congratulate themselves on how tough British society is; resilience and all that. The more caring will leave some flowers by a railing and hold a few candle vigils for healing and peace, until these wither and blow away and the news cycle washes up a new object of attention.

And, quoting C. S. Lewis, "And all the time — such is the tragi-comedy of our situation — we continue to clamor for those very qualities we are rendering impossible. You can hardly open a periodical without coming across the statement that what our civilization needs is more ‘drive’, or dynamism, or self-sacrifice, or ‘creativity’. In a sort of ghastly simplcity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful."
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Richard Fernandez appears to have ignored the brave woman who confronted one of the murderers.

What a brave, brave woman, with such courage of her convictions.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Woland, do you think Jack Lewis would have advocated unarmed members of the public tackling two men with knives, cleavers and a firearm?

I'm not sure what point you are trying to extrapolate out of this, but as a Londoner, my focus is elsewhere today.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Destiny,

Actually, Mr. Fernandez did not ignore the woman. His next paragraph:

Quote:
The attackers knew they were actors in a drama — as keenly watched in their communities as on the BBC. And in that other audience they were asking, “how will the locals behave”. We know now. And that other audience may derive an entirely different lesson from this tableau. “See? Only their women act like men. They follow orders. They are nothing any more — these Westerners. They are a civilization whose core has been destroyed.”

Hi tomsk192,

Yes, I think that Mr. Lewis would have respected and approved of a brave defense by British members of the public, even if unarmed, faute de mieux. Of course the disarmament of the public is part of the process that has taken the West to this point.

I am not trying to "extrapolate" anything out of this, I am just trying to draw out the significance of what has happened. If you had told the 3rd Viscount Palmerston or Churchill that a day would come when barbarians would behead a British soldier in a suburban London high street in broad daylight and that British men and women would pass by without doing anything to stop them, I think they would have been entirely incredulous.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thanks. The Coldstream Guards is an elite infantry regiment, they are the fellows that wear the bear hats and red coats that guard the Queen etcetera, they are big fellows and very tough. I have an old friend in the regiment. I have been busy and I only know a bit of what's been on the news.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thank you, tommy. From what I was told of their service when I visited Anguilla, I am sure that the Coldstream Guards can handle any situation.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 06:48, Woland wrote:
Hi Destiny,

Actually, Mr. Fernandez did not ignore the woman. His next paragraph:

Quote:
The attackers knew they were actors in a drama — as keenly watched in their communities as on the BBC. And in that other audience they were asking, “how will the locals behave”. We know now. And that other audience may derive an entirely different lesson from this tableau. “See? Only their women act like men. They follow orders. They are nothing any more — these Westerners. They are a civilization whose core has been destroyed.”

Hi tomsk192,

Yes, I think that Mr. Lewis would have respected and approved of a brave defense by British members of the public, even if unarmed, faute de mieux. Of course the disarmament of the public is part of the process that has taken the West to this point.

I am not trying to "extrapolate" anything out of this, I am just trying to draw out the significance of what has happened. If you had told the 3rd Viscount Palmerston or Churchill that a day would come when barbarians would behead a British soldier in a suburban London high street in broad daylight and that British men and women would pass by without doing anything to stop them, I think they would have been entirely incredulous.

Hi Woland,

I imagine many other historical figures would also have been horrified: Elizabeth I, Charles Dickens and Enoch Powell included.

Meanwhile, most of us here are horrified. But I can't see this event as the means to argue for arming the general public, I'm afraid.

What concerns me, as a Londoner, is to continue to maintain friendly relations with all responsible members of my local community, which includes plenty of muslims, who are just as outraged by this act of barbarism as am I.

The EDL has taken it upon itself to chuck rocks at the police in Woolwich, whilst someone else tried to burn down a Mosque in Essex. That is the sort of mindless reaction which concerns me today.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi tomsk192,

Quote:
I imagine many other historical figures would also have been horrified: Elizabeth I, Charles Dickens and Enoch Powell included.

I think we are all horrified at the barbarity of the attack.

What I observed was that Palmerston and Churchill, inter alia, would have been incredulous to be told that such an attack would take place in broad daylight on a high street in suburban London - and that the response of English passersby would be so passive.

Even more shocking is this news:

Quote:
Commanders have advised troops not to wear uniform travelling to and from work or outside bases following the brutal killing of a member of the military close to Woolwich barracks.

ence sources said the order had been given that uniform should not be worn by those travelling alone, or on public transport as a "common sense precaution" immediately after the killing

A source stressed the order was temporary while investigations into the killing carried on and the decision would be reviewed in the next few days.

When British troops are ordered not to wear their uniforms in England itself, this is truly "The World Turned Upside Down."

May I suggest, however, that Enoch Powell, although as horrified at the attack as Charles Dickens and Elizabeth I, as you say, would not have been surprised at all.

For this sort of thing is exactly what he was concerned about in his famous speech of 1968 - when he was denounced as mad, dangerous, and bad. The insanely high figures he predicted for the number of immigrants in Britain have turned out to be almost exactly right, and with 600,000 indigenous ethnic Britons moving out of London like a slow stream of refugees over the past decade, he was not altogether wrong about the effects, either.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I blame their beliefs.

RIP to the victim.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thank you, Pakar Ilusi. I think you are right.

Meanwhile, it seems that the British intelligence service was aware of the barbarian murderers:

Quote:
If, as now seems likely, the two terrorists who carried out the barbaric machete attack on a British soldier in Woolwich were known to MI5, then senior officers at the Security Service are going to have a lot of explaining to do.

While David Cameron this morning refused to be drawn on whether the two Nigerian suspects were known to MI5 prior to the attacks, Whitehall sources have indicated that they had appeared on the Government’s intelligence watch list at some point or another.

If that is the case, then Andrew Parker, MI5’s newly appointed director general, will have some tough questions to answer when he appears before the Intelligence and Security Committee to give a detailed account of the circumstances surrounding the soldier’s murder.

Nothing was done to prevent the terrorism, because the police were too busy protecting consumers from dangerous cheese:

Quote:
The event started in the early 1800s and sees competitors chasing the massive 1ft diameter cheese down the 200-yard Cooper's Hill near Brockworth, Gloucestershire, as they race to reach the bottom first.

Farmer Diana Smart, 86, has been making her handmade cheese for the downhill run for a quarter of a century and it is something, she said, that brought her 'such joy'.

This year, however, Mrs Smart, who has provided the large piece of cheese since 1988, has now been warned off doing so after a visit by police.

Three officers visited her farm and told her not to donate five 8lb wheels of her cheese in a bid to prevent the "dangerous" event.

Mrs Smart said the "heavy handed" police visited her home last week and told in a "threatening" manner she would be responsible for any injuries caused – and so has pulled out.

Good to know that the important threats are being addressed.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
To be fair, the police could not have known this would happen in such circumstances.

It was just too bizarre and barbaric.

The Intelligence services though, I don't know.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Hi Pakar Ilusi,

Thank you. I am simply trying to highlight the zeal with which the police prosecute trivialities, and harass basically honest, law-abiding citizens, while horrific threats are ignored, and men who continue to promote such barbarism are supported at public expense.
BatsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1052 Posts

Profile of BatsMagic
Isn't that the truth, Woland!

There are a lot of feelings that would be hurt if civilized societies do the right things when it comes to terrorism, and we certainly can't hurt anyone's feelings.

:bat:
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I would point to the Northern Ireland Peace Process as exemplifying the possibilities available outside of matching violence with violence.

It's not perfect, but it's a good deal better than it was before.

Woland, you'll be pleased to know that the uniform gaffe has been overturned. The PM is encouraging the armed forces to wear their uniforms.

I too struggle with the lack of action by any men present. I do consider that many of them will have been utterly paralysed by the situation, which certainly reflects a cultural drift in England. My tendency is to jump in, but it hasn't always worked out so well.

Powell's speech, by the way, is fairly extraordinary when read in full.

On a positive note, I popped to the shop an hour ago, and took a wicket in a street game of cricket being played by a local Muslim family, by taking an impromptu catch. The children were in traditional dress, I was slouching along smoking a fag [cigarette]. Our community isn't all bad.
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
Thanks, tomsk192. I think we may actually be on the same page, or at least on adjacent pages, here. I think that encouraging members of the armed forces to wear their uniforms in public will be reassuring.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I totally agree. Today is as much a day as any other to be proud of our armed forces. We are on the same page, reading from adjacent paragraphs.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Have any muslim or islamic groups came out and apologized because of this or at least spoke against this horrific act?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Absolutely. Muslims throughout the world have condemned this.

See, for example:

Quote:
The Muslim Council of Britain has denounced the Woolwich murder and has been joined by hundreds of Muslims who have taken to Twitter to voice disgust over the idea that Islam could have been be invoked in such a barbaric act. Here are a few of them:

I can’t tell you how sick I am of having to tweet every time that these are NOT Muslims. This is NOT Islam. These are f***** up barbarians

— Sabbiyah Pervez (@sabbiyah) May 22, 2013

The horrific attack in Woolwich had nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with the scum who say they do this in the name of Islam. — Imran Khan (@ImKhan70) May 22, 2013

People killing in the name of God. This is NOT my #Islam at all. #woolwich — Jenan Moussa (@jenanmoussa) May 22, 2013

Those who commit acts of Terrorism under the name of my beautiful religion are not muslim in my eyes. They’ve failed the understand Islam. — Samy. (@rshaider) May 22, 2013

Proud to be Muslim, but I ain’t hacking nobody’s head off in the name of anything. That’s the difference. — Tariq. (@TariqBreezy18) May 22, 2013

Its a minority like you, who give Muslims like me who work hard to build interfaith relationships, a bad name. You are a disgrace to #Islam! — Tameena Hussain (@TameenaHussain) May 22, 2013

The fact that these people take the Lords name before they commit such sins/crimes is sickening! Islam does not condone these kinds of acts — Kamran Hussain (@KamranHussain93) May 22, 2013

Disgraceful saying they did it in the name of “Allah” tarnishing the name of Islam to try and justify their terrorists actions #woolwich — ieyshiaruston (@i_ruston) May 22, 2013

Prophet Mohammed said “I was sent by Allah to complement the best of morality”. How can random killing be associated with Islam? #woolwich — Ali (@allawee_LFC) May 22, 2013

Absolutely outraged by the Woolwich news. What gives these people the right to give Islam a bad name!? Islam is a religion of peace & love — Fatma Yagmur (@fatmayagmur) May 22, 2013

There is nothing “Allahu Akbar” about killing a British soldier in #Woolwich today. Barbaric. Allah bless the soldier, prayers for family.

— Ed Husain (@Ed_Husain) May 22, 2013

Just because somebody knows how to put ‘Allah’ in a sentence doesn’t make him a Muslim. People need to stop believing everything. #woolwich

— Zahra Rose A (@ZahraRoseA) May 22, 2013

Mindless & barbaric slaying of a soldier in Woolwich is not Islamic but inhuman & barbarism. May Allah guide d misguided! @foreign office

— Mohammad Anwar (@MAnwarMQM) May 22, 2013

These so called Muslim terrorists need to know that anything bad they do in Allah’s name is haram and He will punish them #Woolwich

— ιqвαℓ ιqzу ѕιяαj(@Iqzy) May 22, 2013

Utterly horrendous and pure criminality .The Woolwich event #not in my name.#notislam.As a muslim I condemn it.#UnIsamic

— Mbemba Bojang (@mberest1982) May 22, 2013

No where in the Quran does it allow murder. Islam teaches love and peace. Those two men werent muslim, they were loonatics. Don’t generalise

— qamraan(@Qamraan) May 22, 2013

Protest, march, go on hunger strike, violence & murder can never be tolerated in society, these butchers don’t represent islam, just evil

— Ehsan Ashraf (@ehsanashraf) May 22, 2013

Murder of ONE innocent human being tantamounts 2 killing th entire humanity.Allah states it categorically in Quran.And ppl kill in His name?

— Mehr Tarar (@MehrTarar) May 22, 2013

Islam is a religion of peace and love not murder and terrorism. Terrorists who kill in the name of Allah, should NOT be classed as Muslims.

— Berîwan (@berivansipan) May 22, 2013

These sick people that carried out the MURDER in woolwich have got nothing to do with islam. They will pay for their sick vile actions.

— Wadstar madstar (@wadstarmadstar) May 22, 2013

I’m done apologizing for things I haven’t done. Cold-blooded murder committed by random Muslim(s) have nothing to do with #Islam. #Woolwich

— Nader ﷽ (@BonsaiSky) May 22, 2013

3) That was nothing but a cowardly, callus and cold blooded murder. Islam doesn't condone that AT ALL, the sooner people realise the better.

— Hannah Imaan Ali(@hannahali3) May 22, 2013

Islam didn’t murder the man in Woolwich. It was perverse criminals using religion to rationalize their indefensible barbarism

— Wajahat Ali (@WajahatAli) May 22, 2013

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse......-attack/

Sadly, though, there will always be those who blame ALL Muslims.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Yes.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » British soldier beheaded on busy London street (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL