The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The reason why you must never give up... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 18:42, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Remembering that "worthwhile" is a subjective qualification.

Worth what and to whom? Got cheese?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 18:44, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 18:42, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Remembering that "worthwhile" is a subjective qualification.

Worth what and to whom? Got cheese?

Plenty of cheese--these threads, for starters.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
I promise that I will never give up trying to make you give up. I happen to know that Tom and Pakar want badly to give up but I am refusing to let them. I have trapped them into my evil little game. All I have to do is keep posting and they will be forced not to give up to show me that they never give up. So I am pulling the "give up" strings and they only way they can escape is to give up. But if they do that will mean they are giving up. But if they keep on it will be of great inconvenience and hardship for them, not to say boredom. Alas they cannot win because they are now in a catch 22 situaion. They will have to give up to get out of it.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Ahh...

You've not been reading the 'answer a question with a question' or 'you're banned' threads, have you?

You sir, are the one who is trapped. Smile

I never give up. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
And neither do I. I may advocate it but that doesn't necessarily mean that I practice what I preach. You ARE going to give up. I shall enjoy taking precious moments out of your life to check this thread and force you to post. So you are now stuck with wasting your time on three threads instead of two. I am only wasting my time on this one. You are outnumbered so you may as well give up. But don't worry. Tom has supplied you with an out. You can always say that you have "changed your plans" or "stopped" or "re-valuated the situation and moved on".

Again I say, "If at first you don't succeed then try, try again----and then give up before you make a bloody fool of yourself." Which you are doing quite admirably if I may say so.

We Australians are clever you know.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 18:15, TomBoleware wrote:
Dave, nobody said $2000 should've went on. Nobody said he gave up. You even said yourself "he was forced to stop." He didn't quit. The man torn his leg half off, his horse got hurt, and then they finally forced him to stop. We agree with you that he did great, we know that because he didn't just give up, you know why?

You never give up.

Tom

He COULD have chosen to carry on! But he didn't he chose to stop at that point. if he had been bloody minded and followed the mantra of "never give up" he WOULD have carried on - but he didn't carry on! People ignore medical advice all the time. People push past where they should give up.....and cause problems. They were probably being stubborn following the generic alive of never give up that IS NOT APPLICABLE to every situation in life.

On one hand you are saying never give up ....always keep going...... On the other hand you are saying never give up unless "They force you to stop".

Surely never quit means just that...... Keep going regardless? Or are you now changing the meaning of never quit? How about "never quit.......unless they tell you to, or you have a really good reason".

Steve you are right as 'worthwhile' is subjective ...... My example of me running 100m in 15 seconds is not only improbable for me but also not worthwhile.

Any way with all these new qualifications of 'never give up unless......' I think ill just carry on how I carry on ....... Setting sensible targets for myself that will stretch me but are SMART (can you tell I work n education?) and I can achieve! But I am always willing to quit ........
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
I must say that Dave is very astute for a Pommie.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
How is Mr Rodent trapped?

He can quit at anytime without loosing face or giving a monkeys! He is just having fun me thinks! Smile

I quite like his style of writing. Makes me laugh ......

But I'm easily influence and I succumb to peer pressure very easily Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
And your very articulate for an Australian! Throw another prawn on the barby
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
But alas, we will be here many more years to come.

To check on me, you have to not give up checking as I never give up.

I have learned much and made many friends here on the Café, it is never a waste of time posting here.

And, THIS thread I started myself.

A good exercise actually this is. Smile
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
Oh but I can assure you that it will be a waste of time posting on this particular thread. And of course you will give up. If I stop posting on here (which I won't) then you will give up. If you stop posting on here (which you will) you will have given up. If you get run over by a bus then you will have given up whether you like it or not. Involuntary I grant you but you have still given up. The universe (and the bus of course) will have given up for you but the result will still be the same.

There is nothing so constant in life as change. And the goals you had in the past you may not want any more so you give them up. If you continue going down the wrong path and you give up to go down the right path you are giving up. Wisely but you are giving up. If however, you continue on the wrong path and NEVER give up then you are only punishing yourself. And you are telling an untruth when you say you NEVER give up. Of course you do. You may have given up smoking, eating too much, gambling etc; If you haven't then you are asking for trouble. One day you will drop dead and life will have given you up whether you want it to or not.

Sometimes in order to get something you have to give something up in return. Now whether what you give up is wprth what you get you have to decide for yourself. But if you do make that decision then you are giving up.

No. There are many occasions when you should give up. Sometimes battles aren't worth the hassle. A bit like this one actually. Anyone who NEVER gives up may well be mentally ill or perhaps suffer from obsessive compulsive order which validates my claim that never giving up can often do more harm than good.

If Japan had given up a little earlier in the last war it would have been spared two atomic bombs which killed thousands upon thousands of innocent people. If Saddam Hussein had given up and taken the offer of leaving the country that George Bush offered him he would not have ended up on the end of a rope.

No. Sometimes it is good to give up. So get on with it, you silly chap. In life you should choose your battles wisely. You don't want to end up like Saddam Hussein do you?
Salguod Nairb
View Profile

Room 101
0 Posts

Profile of Salguod Nairb
We shall meet in the place where there is no darkness...
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2013-05-26 11:33, Steve_Mollett wrote:
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different."
- Kurt Vonnegut

Priceless!
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
Quite right, Mr Mystoffelees. In fact that is what I think I am doing now.
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 03:15, White Rodent wrote:
Again I say, "If at first you don't succeed then try, try again----and then give up before you make a bloody fool of yourself."

Perhaps it is because I am "old school". But the word try doesn't fit in with any of my goals plan. Or my opinion of not giving up. The way I see it the word try was invented for the people that did not make it - or as we say gave up.

Well, he tried.

Do or don't do - I don't try I do.
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 03:15, White Rodent wrote:
and then give up before you make a bloody fool of yourself.

Who is more foolish - the fool or the fool that follows?

May the classic force be with you Ronnie.
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yes but you can do and have tried, some say you cant do without any trying! You can try then do, some say you can't do without trying ..... Someone even once said it twice by mistake! Some say the two are very closely linked. Some say that the line between trying and doing is very fine. Some say that you can't do without trying ....and that the end of what they say. Even if you are a do'er you must try to do something to see that you can do it. Like squeezing a big fat cock in to a small hen house (the type made for seramas hens - very small) you won't do it until you try to do it.

If you don't try to do it you won't do it.

But back to dull old life.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 06:43, White Rodent wrote:
Oh but I can assure you that it will be a waste of time posting on this particular thread. And of course you will give up. If I stop posting on here (which I won't) then you will give up. If you stop posting on here (which you will) you will have given up. If you get run over by a bus then you will have given up whether you like it or not. Involuntary I grant you but you have still given up. The universe (and the bus of course) will have given up for you but the result will still be the same.

There is nothing so constant in life as change. And the goals you had in the past you may not want any more so you give them up. If you continue going down the wrong path and you give up to go down the right path you are giving up. Wisely but you are giving up. If however, you continue on the wrong path and NEVER give up then you are only punishing yourself. And you are telling an untruth when you say you NEVER give up. Of course you do. You may have given up smoking, eating too much, gambling etc; If you haven't then you are asking for trouble. One day you will drop dead and life will have given you up whether you want it to or not.

Sometimes in order to get something you have to give something up in return. Now whether what you give up is wprth what you get you have to decide for yourself. But if you do make that decision then you are giving up.

No. There are many occasions when you should give up. Sometimes battles aren't worth the hassle. A bit like this one actually. Anyone who NEVER gives up may well be mentally ill or perhaps suffer from obsessive compulsive order which validates my claim that never giving up can often do more harm than good.

If Japan had given up a little earlier in the last war it would have been spared two atomic bombs which killed thousands upon thousands of innocent people. If Saddam Hussein had given up and taken the offer of leaving the country that George Bush offered him he would not have ended up on the end of a rope.

No. Sometimes it is good to give up. So get on with it, you silly chap. In life you should choose your battles wisely. You don't want to end up like Saddam Hussein do you?

Nice, love that veiled whatcamacallit at the end. Smile

Well, I deliberately left it up to this point before I decided to make myself clear about the whole thing.

Because I have been here before with these types of discussion, although it was on other more serious non magic forums.

I'll use a whole new post to put my thoughts in.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Here's the deal...

What you seem to insuniate is that I have no comprehension of the repercussions of such a direct translation of that saying...

"Never give up your worthwhile dream".

Especially the "never give up" bit.

Maybe it is because you see that I am not from an english speaking nation or...

You just think I'm naive. Smile

I'll leave that one up to you.

But here it is...

This is first about not getting bogged down by semantics (or "explain and define every word in there to me or I'll understand it literally" or "lawyer talk", as I like to call it).

I would prefer to believe that you knew (or at the very least just leaned towards), just by virtue of good faith of giving a person the benefit of the doubt, that another English speaking adult on this forum would understand the repercussions of a literal translation of "never give up". So that you would not have to spell it out for me like it was dictionary week at kindergarten. Smile And to the extent that I needed to know that if I die, as was so dramatically put, by getting hit by a bus, that LIFE (no less) would make me give up. Because that's what "give up" means!

Nice... Smile

Just good faith. Good faith so as not to get us into a discussion of the literal meaning of "give up" because I'm a "silly chap".

But alas...

Since you wish to go into the minutia of the thinking, here's the whole philosophy, as I see it...

"Never give up your worthwhile dream."

First, the difference in the concept of a "dream" as opposed a "task" or a "plan" or a "goal".

The "Big Picture".

Let's say as an example, "My Dream is to go the United States of America in five years for three months.". (I'm in Malaysia btw...)

Now, that's the Dream or The "Big Picture". The "Big Picture" is to go to the US for three months in the next five years.

Now...

The first task is to set a plan with measurable goals to achieve it.

Let's say Plan A is to work at a job to save enough money to go to the US.

However, let's just say that it looks like that won't work, at least not in that amount of time.

But I DON'T GIVE UP. Smile

Together with Plan A, I have in motion Plan B, get a loan from the bank.

Now, let's say for arguments sake that even that's not enough for the trip to the US.

I still DON'T GIVE UP. Smile

I have Plan C, to get the government to somehow sponsor me to go to the US to perform a cultural Magic/Mentalism Show.

Etc... Plan D, Plan E, Plan F.

I NEVER GIVE UP. Smile

They all might not work until I get a Plan that works.

Thus the bit about "Rest if you must, reevaluate your plans, rethink your approach, change strategies, adjust targets but never give up your dreams. " etc...

But I NEVER GIVE UP on the BIG PICTURE, going to the US in five years for three months.

To beat a dead horse...

The "NEVER GIVE UP" bit pertains to the BIG PICTURE, "My Dream is to go the United States of America in five years for three months."

It's just like finding the best route home from work at rush hour. You never give up going home just because you might have to take different routes to avoid the jam. The BIG PICTURE is to get home.

I get it that SEMANTICALLY and LITERALLY I would have to "give up" certain routes once I find that they're jammed. A child would understand that. But that's NOT the "spirit" of the saying which I just assumed you'd understand I would understand!

Now, the reason I didn't break it up into these smaller explanations before to explain it in such a detailed manner is because I gave you all the benefit of the doubt, in good faith, that you'd understand...

That it is after all a motivational saying.

This now is a motivational pamphlet. Smile

Hmmm...

Anyhow, I know, to the next point...

So we move on to the "worthwhile" dream bit.

That, I'll take a different post to explain.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Was that 5 years from when you started the thread or 5 years from posting the above comment? We're timing!

And I didn't realise you were not from an "English speaking nation". You literacy levels similar to mine ...... You'll be fine in the USA!

Hey why give anyone the benefit ...... It's fun to tell you you're all wrong! Smile

But really ...... Why 3 months? ..... He!! why America? I know you said you'll set up another thread. I promise not to PM you with lots of words like, 'you da bomb you dirty big presidential killer of millions. That may well stop you from getting to the USA (unless the move Guantanamo to the us continent).

I'm glad you explained made it clear ......

But is really your big picture to get to USA for 3 months in 5years time? I'd give up now if I were you. Smile nah you'll love the place!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 13:51, dave_matkin wrote:
Was that 5 years from when you started the thread or 5 years from posting the above comment? We're timing!

And I didn't realise you were not from an "English speaking nation". You literacy levels similar to mine ...... You'll be fine in the USA!

Hey why give anyone the benefit ...... It's fun to tell you you're all wrong! Smile

But really ...... Why 3 months? ..... He!! why America? I know you said you'll set up another thread. I promise not to PM you with lots of words like, 'you da bomb you dirty big presidential killer of millions. That may well stop you from getting to the USA (unless the move Guantanamo to the us continent).

I'm glad you explained made it clear ......

But is really your big picture to get to USA for 3 months in 5years time? I'd give up now if I were you. Smile nah you'll love the place!

Thanks, I worry that my English may not be up to par sometimes. Smile

Glad you took the time to understand. Smile

I'd love to go to the US even sooner, maybe to do my blindfold walk for charity there. Dunno for how long though. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The reason why you must never give up... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL