The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Woody Harrelson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Quote:
On 2013-06-01 21:40, Slim King wrote:
Just got the word that Woody rehearsed this for Hours and rightly so ... He hit every mark making the misses look genuine and the reveal believably magical!!!

Actually This effect was a last minute one, Woody learned it backstage just 10 min before showtime. Trust me.

I think if any one here did this effect many would say "Oh that old thing?" correct me if I am wrong.

Goes to show, if you like the person you will love what they do.

Still have to see the movie.

best
AG
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3042 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 12:04, A.G. wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-01 21:40, Slim King wrote:
Just got the word that Woody rehearsed this for Hours and rightly so ... He hit every mark making the misses look genuine and the reveal believably magical!!!

Actually This effect was a last minute one, Woody learned it backstage just 10 min before showtime. Trust me.

I think if any one here did this effect many would say "Oh that old thing?" correct me if I am wrong.

Goes to show, if you like the person you will love what they do.

Still have to see the movie.

best
AG

I think we can all at least agree that this proves what an absolute work of sublime genius the Hoy test is.
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
285 Posts

Profile of harbour
Practice, practice, practice.
RileyG
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
831 Posts

Profile of RileyG
Quote:
On 2013-06-02 22:21, Jerome Finley wrote:
Woody Harrelson?

Oh, you mean the naturally gifted actor, comedian, author, raw foods advocate and compassion-minded environmentalist who's in both open support of the global hemp/cannabis trade and gives a better "mentalism" performance than 90+% of the people on this forum...?

THAT WOODY HARRELSON?

I'm 100% for him and anything he does. Smile

Just saying,
JF.

Well said my Brother...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
SAG-AFTRA actor
Www.RileyG.com
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-05 02:31, harbour wrote:
Practice, practice, practice.

And then rehearse. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2069 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
Woody Harrelson?

Oh, you mean the naturally gifted actor, comedian, author, raw foods advocate and compassion-minded environmentalist who's in both open support of the global hemp/cannabis trade and gives a better "mentalism" performance than 90+% of the people on this forum...?

THAT WOODY HARRELSON?

Just saying,
JF.

You say right.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3042 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Some people seem to expect Woody to be at the same level as a Berglas or a Cassidy. It was inevitable, given the nature of his new movie, that he would be asked to perform some mentalism on the show. I'm just happy he seemed to take it seriously and, in my opinion, pulled it off.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5691 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
Woody Harrelson?

THAT WOODY HARRELSON?

Just saying,
JF.

Natural Born Mentalist. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
I think he did a very very good job. That is such a stressful enviorment, he pulled it off very well
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Now after watching the clip numerous times and re-reading through Hoys Bold Impromtu Test.... Is this the same version or an improved one. Im seeing it a bit different then it is read. PM if you must.
Sicnatius
View Profile
Veteran user
Germany
394 Posts

Profile of Sicnatius
Quote:
Woody Harrelson?

THAT WOODY HARRELSON?

Just saying,
JF.

I 100% agree with this one. There have been so called mentalists on German TV that don't give such a good performance.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3042 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I 100% agree with this one. There have been so called mentalists on German TV that don't give such a good performance.
[/quote]

Indeed, or Marc Salem on the Howard Stern show. Now that REALLY went badly wrong. Slightly tougher crowd though!
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2560 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
It's good to read several or so posts that quote and agree with Jerome Finley's comment, " I'm 100% for him and anything he does", as it mitigates the actual merits of Woody Harrelson's performance and makes the enthusiastic content of this thread make way more sense to me. Smile

Maybe this is a good time to point out that the celebrity stars, on Dancing With The Stars.... even the one's that do well on the program.... wouldn't cut it in the world of professional ballroom dancing and professional (and would be professional) ballroom dancers don't look to their example as the type of performance to aspire to.

Just saying,

:)
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3042 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Very true Neal. I don't think Messrs Osterlind and Cassidy etc need give up their day job just yet!
magicman29
View Profile
Inner circle
hertfordshire
1214 Posts

Profile of magicman29
Sealegs I can't understand why you are moaning about people on this thread saying it was a good performance, let people have their opinion....everyone is entitled to it...

Kieran
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2069 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Think about the first time you ever did a magic trick, or performed a mentalism effect in front of another person. Were you nervous? Focused on the mechanics rather than the performance? Were you as smooth as you are now? As smooth as you were by the time you showed it to the 40th person? Imaging going back in time to when you were a complete novice, who had JUST learned his first effect, then had to go on Letterman to perform it TO Letterman. Would you have fared as well? Been as relaxed?

Eisenberg wilted before he even began. Understandably nervous and not in control. Couldn't pull it off.
Woody showed no nervousness WHATSOEVER. In front of LETTERMAN, who's intimidating to the biggest stars, even when they're NOT performing, because of how sharp and quick he is. If you truly believe this was a sub-par mentalism performance for an ACTOR to pull off on a live TV show hosted by David Letterman, then it's just sour grapes. How familiar do you think Woody was with the techniques necessary to pull this off smoothly?

Earlier in this thread, Andrew Gerard said he learned the effect 10 minutes before going on!

I stand by Jerome's line: "...(Woody) gives a better "mentalism" performance than 90+% of the people on this forum..."
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3042 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
If you truly believe this was a sub-par mentalism performance for an ACTOR to pull off on a live TV show hosted by David Letterman, then it's just sour grapes.

Or maybe he just truly believed it was a sub-par mentalism performance? No sour grapes involved.
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2069 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Quote:
On 2013-06-05 17:08, Martin Pulman wrote:
Quote:
If you truly believe this was a sub-par mentalism performance for an ACTOR to pull off on a live TV show hosted by David Letterman, then it's just sour grapes.

Or maybe he just truly believed it was a sub-par mentalism performance? No sour grapes involved.

Letterman is a tough audience- he's brilliant, challenging and is always in charge. I've seen superstars intimidated, wilting, sitting in that chair. Once in a while, you have a magician/mentalist who legitimately impresses him and TAKES CHARGE of the segment (David Roth, Steve Cohen). Eisenberg failed to do that. Harrelson didn't. Sorry; sour grapes. Re-read Jerome's post. Couldn't be more right.

As further indication of Harrelson's success, take a look at Paisa23's earlier post. Paisa's a veteran. Knowledgable. He asked if this was an "improved" version of Hoy. That tells you all you need to know. Great job by Woody.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3042 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I think Woody did a very good job indeed in the circumstances. I just don't think that someone disagreeing is necessarily sour grapes. Maybe they genuinely believe it wasn't any good. I think we should be careful of impugning people's motives.
Gaaargh
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of Gaaargh
Quote:
On 2013-05-23 14:41, Randwill wrote:
Since he was already predisposed to like Woody Harrelson, this worked to his (Woody's) advantage.

Do you mean because they are both Sigma Chi's? Or just share a longer history than Dave & Eisenberg?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Woody Harrelson (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL