We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Detour De Force by John Bannon - my own twist (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DavidKenney
View Profile
Inner circle
2263 Posts

Profile of DavidKenney
If you are familiar with Detour De Force, it's pretty much a double force and a double reveal with a pretty cool kicker. But the thing for me was writing down the force card(s) in advance. When you do that, you pretty much give away the fact that YOU forced the cards.

I wanted to add a more psychological element, let me know if you think this works.

I bought a force deck (opposite color back) of each force card - then split each deck in half and made a two card force deck (top/bottom)

Now in my presentation, I discuss with the spectator that I am tired of predicting the cards FOR THEM and I want them to find to predict their own cards. I force the 2 cards and leave them face down on the table.

Now it's easier to instruct them to "say stop" at a random card, because they don't know the card they picked in advance and they want to be successful - so more emphasis is stressed on sensing where to stop.

When the force card is turned over and they see that they are wrong -(first phase)then you reveal that the front and back of the gaff deck does not have the same I.D. and that was important so that they wouldn't be swayed with their eyes.

Have each spectator turn the gaff card to reveal the backside/front side..... and they predicted and picked their own card blind.

Now they can't ask "How did you do that?"

You turn it back on them... "How did I do it? How did YOU do it?"
morro3
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of morro3
That is an excelent idea and the kind of thinking that can be applied in many other routines. Thank you. However, some people might still like the original approach as it puts them in the spotlight. And I guess it depends on the routine, certainly it is worthy to consider it to other tricks as well.

cheers
Rocky
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of Rocky
Excellent idea David. I recently performed Detour De Force for some knowledgable magicians. They entered magic several years after this was a marketed effect. The trick impressed them enough to pursuade our local magic dealer to try and order it for them (I'm not sure if it is still being marketed, but I believe he does explain the effect in,"Smoke and Mirrors").
CartoucheNL
View Profile
New user
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
35 Posts

Profile of CartoucheNL
On occasion I perform this trick from John Bannon. It always works for me and for my audience. However I do like this idea of having the spectators making the prediction so I will definitely give this a try. Thanks for sharing.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Thanks David. You are right. Unless the handling of the cards is in the spectators hands and they make a lot of random choices, they will suspect a force.
Good point. Moving the emphasis a little off of this path is a great thing to do.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
612 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
Is this effect on any of his DVDs?
Use the FORCE Luke.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2020, Papa Legba wrote:
Is this effect on any of his DVDs?

It is on his Smoke and Mirrors DVD & DL
https://www.mymagic.com/creator/john-bannon
nice discount on Smoke and Mirrors and Impossibilia together and great stuff on both.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
CartoucheNL
View Profile
New user
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
35 Posts

Profile of CartoucheNL
I believe on Smoke and Mirrors there is only a demo. Not an explanation, I think.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5188 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, CartoucheNL wrote:
I believe on Smoke and Mirrors there is only a demo. Not an explanation, I think.

I think you may be correct. I forgot about that.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2084 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Just checked -- it's explained on the DVD

Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 29, 2020, CartoucheNL wrote:

I think you may be correct. I forgot about that.
Papa Legba
View Profile
Special user
home-an unremarkable spiral arm of an insignificant galaxy
612 Posts

Profile of Papa Legba
CartoucheNL; Poof Daddy & inigmntoya, many thanks for the info.
Use the FORCE Luke.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Detour De Force by John Bannon - my own twist (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL