The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Safety At Other's Homes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
alkazam
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of alkazam
Hope this is the right spot to put this.

I've started doing more and more kid shows, all have been from people I know, or my parents know. I've had parents come up after the show asking for my contact information, which I give them. The problem is that my parents are unsure of me performing by myself at a stranger's house. I am only 18, however these opportunities will be coming up in the future. I jokingly said I would bring my dad and have him wear a security shirt. I am hoping to become a full time magician, so performances at stranger's homes are inedible.

Anyone have any tips on safety when preforming at a stranger's house?
Thanks
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Before I worry about safety at others peoples houses worry about getting insurance.
if you are a member of IBM, SAM or a clown association you can get liability insurance thru them.

as for safety at shows. the key is don't do anything stupid or dangerous.

for instance while I juggle knives in most of my shows, if I am doing a house party and the kids are kind of close to me I don't do the knives.
the other time I don't juggle them is if in the house I am put in a spot where there is a hard wood floor. I don't want to accidently drop one and nick the floor.

the key to performing your show is to rehearse and practice a lot. script everything. not just your words.
you need to work out prop placement, table spots, tricks go where to begin and where they go when you finish the routine.

I also have a clause in my contract that states NO ANIMALS allowed in the same room I am performing in. gold fish are ok but I make it clear no cats, or dogs, or pigs allowed in the room that is for the animals safty and my own!

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Get a sign on your car, A nice costume, design 1000 decent business cards too. My dad used to drive me up to 70 miles, drop me off and come back and get me, I was 14. Then I had an agent send me along with other acts on dozens of shows at various Moose, Elks, Rotary and VFW shows I was 16.

And stop doing those fire tricks Smile.
Greensboro
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Greensboro
I think the OP's question was in reference to his personal safety in the home of a stranger, rather than performance safety. To assure the former, you should ask a lot of questions during the phone interview. How old is the birthday child, what is the child's name, how many children will attend, will other parents be in attendance, etc. If you have any impression that the client is in any way dodgy, decline the booking. There are probably few places as safe as a child's birthday party, so if you ask the right questions and keep your eyes open, you should have no problems.
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I mean no disrespect here, but you're 18 years old. Legally an adult. What's the problem????
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
drewer
View Profile
New user
NoVa
100 Posts

Profile of drewer
I, too, am 18 years old and perform many children's parties. The biggest factor to your safety is common sense. If something seems suspicious or "off" about a show, then turn it down. You can always turn down a show (Of course you want plenty of experience, but safety comes first)! You will eventually need to get away from your parents' security, so earn their trust by performing shows without them. Start by having them doing less and less for you until you are totally independent. Once you earn their trust, you will have the freedom to be independent. But you must keep this trust and not do anything to break it.
So first get their trust, then practice common sense.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Do you have a girlfriend? Perhaps you might consider taking her as an assistant instead of your parents going with you.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
We talked about something similar here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=17
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Yes Mike.... But I like mindpro's idea just a little better Smile
hubada hub a da

(that shows you how old I am)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
But I have not seen anyone break the following law yet, "Business and pleasure don't mix."
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10618 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Tell that to Hef.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
But he uses bunnies.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Alakazam
Much like Christopher I simply don't get it. If you are not ready to go out on your own at 18 years old then just stay home.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
Do you parents allow you to go out in public? Over to a friend's house? Out to the movies? Walk anywhere after dark?

With any activity in life there is risk. Any job has risks associated with it. Any occupation that involves dealing with money (banker or cashier for example) carries along with it the risk of robbery. Some jobs are physically dangerous (fisherman, construction worker, etc) while others are mentally straining (lawyers and doctors). There is no job in the world that is without risk. Personally I think being an entertainer ranks very low on the risk list, but you should always have you guard up for your (and your crew's) personal safety regardless of your location.

Ultimately the choice to perform or not perform in people's homes is a choice YOU must make. There are plenty of magician that don't perform in private residences, and probably an equal number of reasons why they choose not to do so. More magic shows are performed in homes than in theaters though.

Joey D
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
alkazam
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of alkazam
Thanks for all the replies. Yes I am refering to my own safety. Safety is a bigger concern right now due to a recent kidnapping/murder near my area.

Drewer: thanks for the advice, my parents are just very protective. My parents are mostly worried because I don't have a lot of "street smarts" due to having asperger's.

Christopher: No disrespect taken. I don't have my license so they drive me to my shows. (I'm working on my license but it will take a while until I can drive alone.)

Iwillfoolyou: I like your post. I'm going to talk to my parents about that. You never really stop and think about how much risk there is in everyday life.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
What Metro city do you live near/in?

Do you have any physical challenges?

Are you male or female?
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
This whole thread has got to be some kind of a joke. I enlisted in the navy at 17.
David Marcus
View Profile
New user
3,375.97 miles outside of Paris, France.
81 Posts

Profile of David Marcus
Alkazam,

Congratulations on getting out there and getting the gigs. I know how daunting that can be. I think if everyone had the information of your second post you would have gotten a little different responses, and less sarcasm.

I don't anything about you but I think it's wise that you have been limiting your shows to those people you or your parents know and trust. Consider keeping it at that level until YOU and your parents feel you're ready to move on. You're going through a lot of stuff all at once, learning to drive, turning 18 (a bunch of new rights and responsibilities right there), and doing shows outside your own home and family circle. That's all very cool, and a little scary. Plus the recent kidnapping/murder stuff in your area is enough to shake up anyone.

Taking your time is a good thing. Moving forward is a good thing. Taking along a parent, older sibling or cousin, or a trusted friend would also be a good thing.

Good luck.
“Next to music, beer was best.” - Carson McCullers
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Perhaps Alakazam is female, and I have mis judged her. If so bring a young man with you to your gigs.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Though anything can be made a joke, I do see the serious side of this.

As someone who has worked as a counselor both in the D.O.C. and mental health system, it is good to pay attention to your instincts.

I have been treated like a "king" in doing shows inside castles on Lake Tahoe, inside "the walls of prisons", as well as in areas where few dare to enter.

Whether you work on the streets or homes with streets named after their famiies, safety(for you and your clients is important)

If you are not ready for home show, try more public places.

Street smarts are just as important as book smarts.

A man/woman experience on the streets ...meets a many with school learning and money.

The street smart man/woman got the money.....and the school smart man / woman got an experience.

Seriously ....be safe in your sharing.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Safety At Other's Homes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL