The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Deep Red effect (Nyman) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
I was just curious if many other people use this effect in their set. It's off Andy Nyman's "Get Nyman"!. It's been a part of my act for a good while now and I cant get over the reactions I've been receiving. So simple yet so powerful. The visual of the confabulation involved is stellar (a small movie bag with a rental).

The effect: Magician says he rented a movie this morning and displays the "blockbuster bag" with a single rental in it. You present large index cards with popular movies written largely on each card. Have the spectator come on stage and stick their finger in the cards while riffling. After its been selected, riffle through again, showing them there were many choices. Alas, the movie in the rental bag (confabulation prediction) matches their selection.

I feel like this is a little hidden gem (if presented correctly) and was curious if anybody else performed it. If so, are you having a myriad of similar postive reactions? I really didn't expect a standing ovation. Very pleased with this effect!
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
This is in my show. Has been for quite some time. I have altered a few things (handling, blocking, etc), to make it a bit "larger" for the stage. It ALWAYS gets a good reaction! Good stuff.
Kroots
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of Kroots
Doesn't Nyman use P** S*** to select the movie in the original? If so why do you prefer the selection on stage if you don't mind me asking? Unless I'm reading your post wrong.
tmoca
View Profile
Inner circle
1113 Posts

Profile of tmoca
Nyman's handling, is P** S***. I can't speak for TheMag1cian, but I personally use 2 versions for the selection. One, just as Nyman does and then another method that does not involve P** S***, but it is a completely different method. The venue/event determine's the method in use. For me the original option is not strong enough "real time" that is why I went a different route....but that's just me.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
After having experimented with different variations I found that just having the spec' come up and physically select was most powerful. It provides them a strong tactile and visual experience. Plus I like to chat it up with them a bit. The other methods are good too. Just my personal preference.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I use this all the time, I have also two methods of having the film chosen as its not always posible to do p*** s*** where I am working. My alternative handling can be done on stage and looks completely fair, pm me if you want to know more cant talk methods here.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Kroots
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of Kroots
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 07:20, tmoca wrote:
For me the original option is not strong enough "real time" that is why I went a different route....but that's just me.

That was my thinking also. The strength between picking a random card or having the audience think that the participant has merely thought of a film is miles apart in my opinion.
Kroots
View Profile
New user
Manchester, UK
59 Posts

Profile of Kroots
George, I'd be interested to here your take on a real time version. It's always good to have real time versions available should the pre show not be viable.
TheMag1cian
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1261 Posts

Profile of TheMag1cian
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 14:55, Kroots wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 07:20, tmoca wrote:
For me the original option is not strong enough "real time" that is why I went a different route....but that's just me.

That was my thinking also. The strength between picking a random card or having the audience think that the participant has merely thought of a film is miles apart in my opinion.

Very True.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Deep Red effect (Nyman) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL