The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Overreacting? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Amro
View Profile
New user
Room 217
52 Posts

Profile of Amro
Hi everybody,

I lately asked International Magic, London to remove the DB Lecture from youtube that some guy had uploaded with the blandishments "i do not own the material". As if this made it better. I am just glad DB did not reveal remin*sc*nc* on this DVD. But everyone who watched this video on youtube knew that the 'process of mind reading' (DB emphasizes in his books the importance of 'providing the process of MR') is non-essential.

After the video had been removed I felt a little self-satisfied but then I though what about all the tricks that are being exposed on the internet (i recently even found a short description of AN - for free!!). Now I think about taking some time this weekend to have them all removed. Smile

But seriously, I started with mentalism one year ago, so I am still new to this and I would like to hear the opinion of some old-hands (is that correct english?).
Usually I am a rather relaxed person, I just thought this went to far. What do you think?

All the best!
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Welcome to the Café. Go, boy, GO! If your hobby is getting these exposure vids off Youtube, you've got the support of many many people.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1548 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
Get ready for an uphill battle. Sadly, for every video you may get pulled there will b ten more popping up. It's ridiculous, but it's the world we live in. I do youtube searches for things from time to time to see what comes up, and it's amazing how the napster generation just has no respect for secrets.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 12:51, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Welcome to the Café. Go, boy, GO! If your hobby is getting these exposure vids off Youtube, you've got the support of many many people.

Ditto! Fight the good fight! Well done. Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12329 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 12:59, Chaz93 wrote:
Get ready for an uphill battle. Sadly, for every video you may get pulled there will b ten more popping up. It's ridiculous, but it's the world we live in. I do youtube searches for things from time to time to see what comes up, and it's amazing how the napster generation just has no respect for secrets.

it's not that they have no respect for secrets it's that they have no respect for anything. They don't know what it means to create and build something. They don't know the meaning of hard work, satisfaction it gives. They get it by putting up videos and seeing how many views they can get. With that they feel like somebody. Hopefully it'll end someday.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Its very unfortunate, the internet is great for some things but as in the case of exposures , there is very Little we can do , some people think its clever, when this subject comes up in conversation the reply I get most often is "what about the masked magician theen" keep up the good work.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Amro
View Profile
New user
Room 217
52 Posts

Profile of Amro
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 16:28, george1953 wrote:
(...) I get most often is "what about the masked magician theen" keep up the good work.

If Dantes Divine Comedy is correct, the masked muppet will retire eventually in the ninth circle of hell. No offence Smile
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I think it is up to the creators to have these videos removed, not up to some self-appointed busy body who decides he had the right to police the internet. So I am not with the rest of you on this.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 10:38, Amro wrote:
Hi everybody,

I lately asked International Mgic, London to remove the DB Lecture from youtube that some guy had uploaded with the blandishments "i do not own the material". As if this made it better. I am just glad DB did not reveal remin*sc*nc* on this DVD. But everyone who watched this video on youtube knew that the 'process of mind reading' (DB emphasizes in his books the importance of 'providing the process of MR') is non-essential.

After the video had been removed I felt a little self-satisfied but then I though what about all the tricks that are being exposed on the internet (i recently even found a short description of AN - for free!!). Now I think about taking some time this weekend to have them all removed. Smile

But seriously, I started with mentalism one year ago, so I am still new to this and I would like to hear the opinion of some old-hands (is that correct english?).
Usually I am a rather relaxed person, I just thought this went to far. What do you think?

All the best!
Feel free to take down anything that appears to be "Exposure' by Slim King ... I'll buy you a beer !!!!!!or three!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Amro
View Profile
New user
Room 217
52 Posts

Profile of Amro
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 20:03, TonyB2009 wrote:
I think it is up to the creators to have these videos removed, not up to some self-appointed busy body who decides he had the right to police the internet. So I am not with the rest of you on this.

Dear Tony, I definitely see your point and I was wondering, if I did the right thing. But then they wrote back and seemed quite happy, that I brought this to their attention. But please do not worry, this will not become my full-time job. Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:

The way I read it, he brought it to the creator's attention and the creator had it removed. What is wrong with that? I always appreciate when someone informs me that my material is being pirated as do all of the creators I know.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2013-05-25 21:43, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:

The way I read it, he brought it to the creator's attention and the creator had it removed. What is wrong with that? I always appreciate when someone informs me that my material is being pirated as do all of the creators I know.

Bob, that is not the way I read it. And re-reading it, I still do not see that.

I got caught in a situation like this once - I was offered an expensive product at a great price, which was pirated. I informed the creator, and let him deal with the situation. Which he did. I felt that it was not my place to act differently. I am not the internet police.

If I am ever lucky enough to create something of worth, I would appreciate it if someone informed me of pirated versions. But I would not appreciate someone doing my job and interfering with what I should be doing. To me that is overstepping the mark.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Tony-

In the very first sentence of the OP he states that he asked to CREATOR, not YouTube, to have it removed. It appeared to me that the creator was unaware of it.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Sorry - I stand corrected. I forgot International Magic produce videos - I was thinking of Derren as the creator.

The original poster acted correctly.
Chris Cheong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
100 Posts

Profile of Chris Cheong
I think that internet is a good way to keep creators motivated to come out something better and improve as time catch by.

Sad to say but we are moving into an era of free learning. Whatever you want to learn just Google or YouTube it, and trust me you will find it. There's nothing much we can do - not even Hollywood big companies can do anything against "Pirate Bay".

We do what we can and always be a step ahead of other people. (Isn't that what magician and mentalist should prossed?)

With that said, you have my support on bringing piracy lower! It's a war not a battle, so stay strong mate!
Regards,
Chris
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1148 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I admire your effort.

In a general sense though, there has to be a better solution. We just haven't come up with it yet.
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
In my never humble opinion, those-tech savvy magicians and mentalists should be FLOODING youtube and similar places with videos of untrue/misleading/false but mildly believable-to-a-lay=person explanations. A person searching for an explanation should encounter several of these for every true exposure. It could perhaps even be an organized, cooperative effort.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 11:41, RLFrame wrote:
In my never humble opinion, those-tech savvy magicians and mentalists should be FLOODING youtube and similar places with videos of untrue/misleading/false but mildly believable-to-a-lay=person explanations. A person searching for an explanation should encounter several of these for every true exposure. It could perhaps even be an organized, cooperative effort.
yea... We should do what our government does .. Misinformation clouds the entire factual realm of existence ... Smoke and mirrors!!!
Like the Fake Kreskin series...
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
White Rodent
View Profile
New user
Australia
84 Posts

Profile of White Rodent
Alas it is not worth the effort and to fight it is a losing battle. I don't like it but unfortunately it is the reality of the new world we live in. The best you can do is shrug your shoulders and accept it. Then you have to put it out of your mind and forget it. This is one case where the old saying, "choose your battles wisely" applies.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3403 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 23:39, Slim King wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 11:41, RLFrame wrote:
yea... We should do what our government does .. Misinformation clouds the entire factual realm of existence ... Smoke and mirrors!!!
Like the Fake Kreskin series...

I think the idea of swamping YouTube with fake methods is a great one, especially if we all linked to them to get the hits up and monitored any comments to remove links to real methods.

Sadly, I think we're probably all too lazy to go to that amount of effort, myself included. So the battle will be lost.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Overreacting? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL