The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Problem cups balls Tarbell Vo 1 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mymagician
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of mymagician
I am half way Tarbell Volume 1 Course in Magic. Cups and Balls. On page 160 it states how to place balls down on the table and tells you to double load the 3rd cup yet he doesn't say if the 3rd cup is cup A,B, or C. Then it states to steal a ball then reload that ball under same cup then ball under cup C vanishes and is under cup A now, yet it doesn't state how you achieve this part of the effect...Ive read through this section a few times to make sure I was reading it right and I feel like this part was not written so good though I have already invested time and money for this part of the book that I want to learn this routine. any help or advice I have other cups n balls dvds to learn from but I want Tarbells so I complete the book
Tilman
View Profile
Regular user
147 Posts

Profile of Tilman
Hello mymagician,

We need more people like you working their way through classic books.

To answer your question:
- As the placement of the balls onto the table occurs from right to left, with the double ball being placed last, it should end up under the leftmost cup (or cup A in fig. 93).
- At this point there are two balls under the leftmost cup, one under the middle cup, one under the right cup.
- You then push cups B (middle) and C (right) forward (towards audience), in the process stealing the ball from the rightmost cup (C) - it ends up in right hand finger palm. You can see the action at 3:20 of this video clip of the fantastic Johnny Paul: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFZJhkTEnIo.
- At this point, there are two balls under the leftmost cup, one under the middle cup, none under the rightmost cup.
- You now show there still is a ball under the middle cup (as it should be). In setting down the middle cup again, the ball finger palmed in the right hand is loaded. There are now two balls under the middle cup (and two under the leftmost cup, none under the rightmost cup). To the spectators, there is still one ball under each cup.
- Now starts the magic: lifting the rightmost cup (C), you reveal that its ball has vanished.
I would think the rest of the explanation is fairly clear.

A couple of points regarding this routine:
- Be aware that technique for sponge balls in cups and balls is not identical to the technique used for the small cork balls with crochet cover now most often used in cups and balls routines. Still, a lot of the skills you will learn in learning this routine will transfer to more standard cups and balls work. So don't let this deter you from learning the routine.
- The illustrations in Tarbell which show a ball in finger palm are terrible. Especially the fact that third and fourth finger are bent while first and second finger are extended is objectionable. The bend/curvature of your fingers should be more even, with each finger being progressively more bent as you go from first to fourth finger - pretty much as they are on a relaxed hand.
- Very little good instruction is offered on the vanish of the ball (figures 86 and 87). If memory serves well, I was generally disappointed with the level of instruction the Tarbell course offers on vanishes. This is one of the crucial skills one could learn in learning a cups and balls routine and it is a missed opportunity that it hasn't been given more emphasis in the description.
One of the best places to learn a vanish is an e-book that Al Schneider has written on his own vanish (the Schneider Vanish). He explains it for coins, but it can easily be adapted for small balls (as Schneider does himself in his cups and balls).

For some reason the fact that you come on this forum to ask a serious question of understanding has just motivated me to go to Al Schneider's webshop (http://www.omenquest.com/wmcsales/aaaa.htm) and order another copy of his e-book for you. If you get in touch by PM and provide your e-mail, I will ask Mr. Schneider to send the copy directly to you or do so myself.

All the best wishes for your progress!

Best regards,
Tilman
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1019 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
My ears were burning.

Tilman I think your observations are very accurate.

I am presently attempting to close down my sales of ebooks on the internet.
My goal is to transfer my work to amazon dot com.
If you search on books and use search words Al Schneider Magic you will see all my books.

And, by the by, I am now working on a book called The Theory and Practice of False Transfers. I am about 90% done and it should be on amazon dot com in about 10 days.

It is my old book on the Schneider Vanish, the Schneider Classic Vanish, and the Schneider Ball Vanish. The book is being reedited as there were many errors in the old PDF books. The book will be about 350 pages with about 400 pics.

The book also includes a little cup and ball routine that demonstrates the principles presented in the book.

You can see this little demo at:

http://youtu.be/xvE0gTouogg

Thanks all.

Al Schneider
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18560 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
GREAT DEMO, THANKS, AL.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
140 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Amazing demo Al.
Waiting for the new pdf on false transfers!
mymagician
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of mymagician
Wow Mr Al, that is some really clean work in that video... Im halfway through the 1st dvd on Magic Makers Complete Course in Magic with Cups and Balls with Eddy Ray. I started on it right after I made the initial post in this thread and I have been practicing every chance I get, I had a four day weekend and my women got a lil neglected due to my intense bootcamp style practicing lol. Ive even pieced together my own little routine. I have to study each method carefully because I have such huge windows due to having wide hands and long skinny fingers so detail becomes very important so I can perform it clean
mymagician
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of mymagician
Forgot to mention that I started the dvd in hopes to figure out how Tarbell does his routine, but Mr Tilman help me out on that one And THank You all for your replies
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Problem cups balls Tarbell Vo 1 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL