The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Ready for my first routines! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Been skulking around here for a couple of years before I joined; turns out I should have done that from the beginning, as this is clearly a great site with many experts willing to share their experience. Ok, enough brown-nosing!

I have been working on the basics for roughly three years now - palming, grips, simple vanishes...the stuff you see in the opening chapters of Bobo or the first of Ben's wonderful DVD's. Actually, it was Ben's instructional DVDs that sparked an interest in all of this. That spark has grown to something near obsession... just ask my wife... anyway, I feel I am ready to put that practice to good use and take it to the next level.

So, I'll finally get to the point. What would you recommend as first routines to work on ? I recall seeing a Roth snippet where he mentions 3-4 routines which can be strung together smoothly, but as expected I can't remember which video or which routines!!

Cheers

Posted: May 25, 2013 9:11pm
Oh, I should have mentioned I do not have any gaffed coins, which is fine for the time being, and that I want to stick with and polish my SOH as much as possible. A short story may clarify this: I taught myself how to play guitar and bass to the point I spend a number of years on the Canadian band circuit. I've always worked very hard at something I enjoy, in order to get as much out as I put in. I learned American Sign Language, then worked up to be an interpreter...had one deaf friend, but it was really the challenge of it all which appealed. Years later I decided I wan interested in computers, started out learning basic, ended up writing in C++, wrote a few programs which have had a modicum of success. More recently I've been writing a book after more than a decade of research.

I say all this to give you an idea of what kind of magician I want to be. With the help people such as yourself, I may one day earn the respect of those I wish to emulate.

Thanks for reading
Cheers
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Shark, that's a good story you got and believe me, I know the fever, I've had it for many decades now in magic and several other things. Smile It's all similar to my life in ways as I've been blessed to have several interesting experiences in both my professional life and personal life. Some things get mixed into both, like magic. Smile

I too was one that really endeavored to do things way beyond just the ordinary and it led me to some amazing things, you'd be surprised. Smile

Anyway, as to your question here, it is a good one and honestly depends on what sort of effects you like, where you are, who you're performing for, etc. But in general, there are some good starts to doing coin magic as to a routine. For instance, David Roth likes to do Winged SIlver, followed by Chink a Chink. I believe he still has an excellent download with both effects taught on them and discussion as to why he likes to do them together. It's excellent and only about $5 bucks. Smile

In general, I have found that it's good to mix it up a bit, with coins, cards and closeup. I know you are concentrating on coins but they can be overwhelming if you just keep doing coin trick after coin trick. Smile But for the moment in creating a good set of coin effects, I'd say do a good One Coin Routine and then have a good Coins Across to do. Why? Because they allow so much creativity for you to build upon as per your own abilities and growth, and personal way of doing things. Smile They also can focus you greatly upon the better use of SOH, which is primo IMHO.

People like all sorts of coin tricks, i.e., effects you can do walking about, sitting at tables, with props, etc. For me, I like to be on the move, and so I like to do tricks that are more immediate and focus specs up close and personal. I can do a lot of stuff, but what you like doing will focus you greatly on a few effects that will become pet effects.

I have found that less is more, but you have to go through the "more" to find the perfect "less." Smile With that, I know people really like coin changes, vanishes, productions etc., and so I do 3 tricks a lot more than I do any others nowadays, because they do the trick, so to speak. Smile They are my ReVisiTed, FlySki and my EZ BreeZy Coins Across, that's it. Smile Of course again, I can do a lot more stuff and do at times but mostly stick to these effects lately and with every time I do them for people, I get better and better at it. You become comfortable doing these specific 3-4 effects on a moments notice, and truly, that's all you gotta do to amaze people anywhere, anytime...And believe me, I do it all the time, from grand hotels in Bermuda to diners in New Jersey and all in-between, from the worldwideness of the Internet to in-person with anyone I come across that could use a good smile. Smile

You ask different people, they will all tell you different things and effects, but If I had to pick a few specific tricks for you here, and I like interactive effects, I would say to learn something like these...

-Pocket Passport - Great little coin transposition trick, just blows people away.

-Mr. Clean Coins Across - This a Jay Sankey trick, a tremendous SOH Coins Across that seems impossible.

-Spellbound - There are many out there, but find your own in yourself and that will be the best one for you. Smile For me, along this specific line, my ReVisiTed does the trick and then some in some very creative but doable ways, or so I've been told. Smile

*And check out that Roth suggestion I gave above, it's table stuff but just good thinking and practice while being classically magical along the lines of the way you like to pursue things and develop yourself. **And if you want to marry a little gaff stuff with SOH, Roth's [ Coins Across is about all you need, pretty easy to do and just a perfect effect to have at the ready. I'm just sayin'. Smile

Anyway, I hope this helps a bit. Enjoy the journey, it's a fun one. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
If ya work with half dollars, I find that a magnetic or steel core half is valuable. If you have a neo-magnet in your back pocket, it'll hold-out the coin for ya, and it's immediately retrieveable. Just a thought! Smile

Doug
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Hey, Shark,
Many of us share your life story, of working hard and seeing opportunities open up. For a magician to be really good, you need dogged persistence, and you need to be able to solve problems and think outside the box. Believe it or not, I am not getting into inventions and patenting them, mostly because of magic. When you create effects, you have to solve problems, which is what inventions are about. So cheers to you.

As for sleight of hand, it is great, but SOH plus a coin ], for instance, can create true magic. So if possible, think of using sleight of hand as the foundation, but gaffed coins as a way to exponentially increase what is possible with SOH. I love SOH, but find that the combination of a shell with SOH makes some real magic. See the video here on someone's version of Coin One by Liwag. That is what I am talking about. It really looks like magic.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yes Vamp, I agree and mentioned Roth's ] Coins Across as to the use of both SOH and a little extra. Smile

At first, if you're a pure SOH guy, you don't like using gaffs much but then you come to see that in a lot of cases the use of these little gems can cause even more magic to happen, just impossible stuff. I do use a little bit of it now & again.

Here's another good use of the mixture. Nothing too difficult, fairly easy to do (about $10 bucks if you got the shell already) and is enhanced by the stealth use of a little somethin', somethin' along with SOH. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR139Fz2V5M
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

shakuni
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of shakuni
@Mb217

Great advice. Thanks!

Also, where to find details about Pocket Passport? The book (Ken Krenzel's Ingenuities by Stephen Minch) that has its details is not available anywhere Smile
Twizle1977
View Profile
New user
Chicagoland
48 Posts

Profile of Twizle1977
Hey Shark, I too am on the same mission and have started to get into the gaffed coin stuff. I think you should look into getting an expanded shell/flipper/magnetic or steel core/scotch n soda/dime n penny (your can use parts of the SnS or DnP for basic copper silver gaffs instead of investing in both) to start. I know that's a bit of a list but go with one at first and then get another. I whole heartedly aggree with these other guys, SOH is great for being impromptu and will get you where ever you want to go. But as I have learned with cards, when you learn to cheat with better tools than just your hands. Your magic is brought to the next level and small tricks are made into miracles! Good luck on your journey! =)
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Wow guys, thanks for all the replies! There is a LOT to digest here, so hang on a sec while I re-read it all..... ok, done. Smile

Mb217, thank you so much for your advice; that is precisely the info I was after. Winged Silver and Chink a Chink are both great routines, as is Spellbound. I'm going to hit the books and my modest DVD collection to study these in detail Smile Oh, you asked what effects I liked, where I am and who I perform for. I love a good vanish as long as it's clean, i.e. hands look completely natural throughout. Also I am blown away by Makar's FPV Change and 2K Vanish. I live in the Canadian maritimes, which is as far away from magic ground zero as you can get! Tbh, I have yet to perform for an audience, not feeling the confidence just yet. My evil plan is to work on the afore-mentioned routines, or something similar, then unleash it on friends and family first. This is a hobby and not my means of making a living, so I have the luxury of being picky about when to start putting on a show of any kind. Come to think of it I haven't really given performing a lot of thought, but as I got over stage fright after my first paying musical gig over thirty years ago, I do not feel any soft of... apprehension towards sharing what little skills I may have. I just need to be properly prepared first.

Your point about mixing up coins with cards is a very good one! As I just blabbered on about, haven't given performing much thought -clearly I should be! Hmm...again, you have given me much to contemplate.

I love a good coins across and spellbound !! Can't say I know what Pocket Passport entails, but will look into it. Which brings me to a slightly embarrassing question my new friend, can you point me in the direction of your work, i.e. DVD, book, notes or clips on Youtube ? I would really like to see some of your moves.

Doug, thanks for the advice. I DO use halves; actually been practicing with coins from 30mm to 40mm, trying everything I work on with as many sizes as I have, in order to choose what works best. Have not looked at magnetics too much, but as I said to Mb, I will look into it Smile

Vamp and Twizle, agree with both of you that certain gaffs are invaluable. Wish I had the spare $ to pick up some new toys, but at this time it's not in the cards. My first purchase will likely be a good quality [ or Slippery Sam - which would you recommend ? Clearly there is a limit as to what can be accomplished using only SOH. As you said Twiz, "your magic is brought to the next level..". I can hardly wait Smile
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey Shark, glad I could be of some assistance here. Smile

I think most here are hobbyist/amateur magicians, so you are not alone. Many have been at it for years, a labor of love and fun. You're gonna love it. Smile

The Pocket Passport trick is a neat one, where a copper and silver coin trade places in the specs hand and pocket. Smile Worth checking out from Ken Krenzel. I like simple but amazing tricks and this is definitely one of them IMHO. Smile

And it's great to try out things on family and friends, they are great for practice and will indulge you again and again along the journey. Eventually, family and friends become any and everybody. Smile

But alas, I have no ribbons on my chest, or fine buckles on my shoes...So no DVDs or books from me to point you to, at least not yet. Smile But wait...I do have a little something to share as I have put together several downloads of my offerings at http://www.VinnyMarini.com (most of which come at least with manuscripts). Smile And I also have several videos of my work posted on Youtube that you might enjoy, just check there. Smile

Here's a glimpse for ya of one of my most favorite coin effects to do. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J7W-5ter1k

*Oh and Shak, I'll PM you. Smile

aceofspades71
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of aceofspades71
This is a very good thread, thank you all!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey Shark, I was able to track this down for you. Smile Still one of the very best deals in magic, IMHO, and will fit your budget, guaranteed! Smile

http://thebluecrown.com/magic-tricks/win......ink.html

NateReeves
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of NateReeves
3 Pieces of Silver by Rune Klan is an excellent routine. It's also great if you're trying to get into hardcore coin magic.
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Mb: Thanks again for all your help Smile I watched your vid 4-5 times, trying to ... well, you know! Very slick, clean, and difficult to figure out! Bookmarked thebluecrown as it looks like a great site. The Pocket Passport is on my todo list, (been busy with life-stuff recently).

NateReeves, I have seen 3 pieces of silver, and will look at it again: thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers
Macphail
View Profile
Regular user
166 Posts

Profile of Macphail
Always begin with Slydini's version of coins through the table. Master simple but incredibly deceptive sleights using time misdirection. Spend hours alone getting it right, and doing it very very very slowly. Magic is best when done gently, evenly and as if nothing fishy is going on. Keep up the good work!

:smiley:
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
MacPhail, your advice is bang on. I taught guitar for a number of years, telling my students pretty much exactly what you wrote! Speed and fluidity comes with patience and practice, lots of both. Of course timing is another story - would that not come by working with a partner or practice audience (as I used to call the family or friends of my students) ?
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
If you want something that is pure sleight try the ambitious card routine. Its great and if you do it right gets great reactions. If you are looking for coins a good 3 coin routine that uses 2 coins is always nice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Ready for my first routines! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL