The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Introducing myself here. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
I've recently been advised that I should introduce myself in the sub forums I plan on visiting, I didn't notice any others doing this and I assumed introducing yourself in sub forums would be look upon as 'post count building' so I avoided it. I guess a few people introduce themselves and ask a question / start a discussion or offer something their selling at the same time, Unfortunately I have nothing to sell and no questions or discussions worth posting right now. I have a lot of opinions ideas on what I feel are worthwhile topics of discussion, but I know better that to barge in as a new member spewing ideas, ethics and debates. A full introduction about me as a person can be found here http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=7946224

For this forum I'll just give my reading and performing history and experience in regards to mentalism.

Over the last nine years or so I have read and re-read (amongst other non mentalism books), 13 steps, Mind Myth & Magick, Practical mental magic, The Jinx, Horosecrets, Dream signs, Astrologic, Zen, 120% Chestosterone, The coral fang, Touching on Hoy, Colour sense, Card memory, Mind blasters 2, Naked Mentalism, Alchemical tools, Mephistos shoulders as well as many book on tlpp (mostly Anneman's) and a few others I probably forgot to mention. So while I don't have a vast accumulated knowledge of mentalism theory I certainly feel I have a good grounding. The next book I plan on getting is Switchcraft, althouhg I make effots to stagger my purchases over at least a month so I won't be getting it just yet.

I have performed on stage, at festivals, on the street (busking) and at party's both private and corporate. My stage experience is where I'm weakest, having mainly done open mic nights, a few (very few) paid cabaret shows and some stage stuff at larger parties. I just finished a guest spot at Illusions magic bar in Bristol. My close up is where I'm strongest with my busking shows being a close second.

I'm not a pro but I'm also not a hobbyist. I would say I'm a student. I want to earn a living performing, and I'm just not there yet.

Like most British magicians / mentalists my age, I discovered mentalism and was hugely influenced by Derren Brown. Before learning about mentalism, magic was a non serious hobby and at the time I was very into ghosts, the occult, aliens etc and was mainly influenced by books like Cosmic Trigger and magazines like the Fortean Times.

Then Derren Brown came on T.V and I was completely fooled by what he did and wanted to learn the same things (naively I wanted to learn 'mind reading skills' to improve my magic tricks). After a bit of research and a few failed attempts with books on N.L.P. I came across some blog (I can't find it now, this was years ago) that recommended a few books and said the one to start with was 13 steps to mentalism. I found the book, ordered it, and a few days later passed my first test by not being disappointed at discovering the methods within were magic tricks.

During my collage years my interest in magic and mentalism grew, I became one of 'those types'. I only thought logically and rationally about things (or so I thought), I denounced psychics and readers as immoral because they lie to people, while at the same time I would lie to people claiming 'psychological skill' as I secretly wrote things down on bits of card. I didn't 'believe' in anything as 'belief is the acceptance of fact without evidence' (as I was quick to tell people). I would challenge people on their beliefs and thought all religion was evil and science was the greatest thing ever etc etc.

Then one day I realised that despite what I would like to think, I still 'believed' in things, I would accept things as fact without examining the evidence and it was impossible to live life without doing this. There simply isn't enough time in the day to examine and test everything you think of as true. I also started to question why it was okay to lie and claim pseudo-scientific methods but not okay to lie and claim supernatural methods. I started to realise that the 'psychological expert' wasn't for me in terms of performance style and personality, I started to look back on my interests in gods and spirits and aliens and monsters.
I talked with someone at a magic shop about moving my performance style away from psychology and towards spells, shamanism and psychic phenomena and he recommended to me 'Capriconain Tales' which was not only where I first discovered bizarre magic, but to me still remains the best of all the bizarre books I've read. Seven years later and still over two thirds of my close up set has it's roots in this one book. Then, when hitchhiking from Sweden to England reading 'Man and his symbols' by Karl Jung, I rediscovered my irrational, spiritual, hippy side and found myself happier and more comfortable with that mindset.

I still haven't found my style yet, for now I remain a magician, although I have some good ideas of what I want to be. I want to claim 'real magic' as the technique behind my effects, a claim I recognise as tough to pull off especially in an entertainment environment. I'm still finding a path to get there.
This may seem to put me more in the bizarre camp than mentalist, which is true, when amoungst magicians I tell them I'm a bizarrist. However I see tremendous value in mentalisim books, both in techniques and methods of establishing credibility. I am more likely to choose a good mentalisim book than a good bizarre book.

So hello this is me I guess, I'll be popping up here from time to time and now you know a bit about who I am and where I'm coming from.
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Welcome!
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1050 Posts

Profile of NFW
Welcome aboard...
Gourmet
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of Gourmet

hi there !!
andyfisher
View Profile
Veteran user
Norwich, UK
319 Posts

Profile of andyfisher
Welcome witcheshat - don't be In a rush to figure out who you are - the journey and not the destination is key. I hope you find much inspiration and food for thought here. If you haven't done so already I would advise you look up Dr. Todd Landman on the Café - he is one of the founders of Psycrets and organises at least one Bizarre convention each year in the UK Smile
'Reading people and bringing them together'

www.doodlemeatree.com
NabilT
View Profile
New user
Caracas, Venezuela
16 Posts

Profile of NabilT
Welcome! Im new as well and my introduction is on this link http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=42&4
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3917 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
Hello...nice to "meet" you.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1546 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I like when people take the time out to introduce themselves. Welcome WitchesHat and NabilT. Look forward to having you folks on board.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12310 Posts

Profile of John C
Darn!!! Can't find any reason to knock this guy.

Welcome. Hope to hear some good advice and Conversation.

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 21:31, John C wrote:
Darn!!! Can't find any reason to knock this guy.

Give it time.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
Welcome (again) WitchesHat and nice resume! Hello also NabilT; hope you’ll enjoy it here!

No “rules” about introducing yourself, but you can get to know most regulars by reading our posts. Newcomers have us at a bit of a disadvantage until we “get acquainted”. Just a nice gesture.

You’ll see that some have real attitude issues, but their posts can still be helpful. Others are more reserved, but pipe in at various times. All of us (I think) are here to help and to learn wherever we can, with wildly differing levels of experience or expertise, and that help could come in many forms.

Anywho, later! Smile
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Welcome! Smile
Michael_MacDonald
View Profile
1964 - 2016
Washington
2034 Posts

Profile of Michael_MacDonald
Welcome brother, and know that many here are just like you. I to am not a purist in my performance style.........
mentalism, bizarre, magic, magick....in short I'm a mystery performer and dark mentalist. send me a pm and ill pop you a couple links that will really enlighten you.
WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
Thanks to all for the welcome.

Quote:
On 2013-05-27 23:00, DWRackley wrote:
Welcome (again) WitchesHat and nice resume! Hello also NabilT; hope you’ll enjoy it here!

You’ll see that some have real attitude issues, but their posts can still be helpful. Others are more reserved, but pipe in at various times. All of us (I think) are here to help and to learn wherever we can, with wildly differing levels of experience or expertise, and that help could come in many forms.

Anywho, later! Smile

Thank you again DWRackley. I'm a long time lurker and no stranger to forums, I know to tread carefully. I realise that what can sometimes be seen as elitism or snobbery to newcomers is actually more to do with a wariness from a close knit social group. I'm also aware that genuinely brilliant, nice and intelligent people can nonetheless develop sensitive and powerful egos online. I'm going to try and avoid stirring things up.

Quote:
On 2013-05-28 09:48, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
Welcome brother, and know that many here are just like you. I to am not a purist in my performance style.........
mentalism, bizarre, magic, magick....in short I'm a mystery performer and dark mentalist. send me a pm and ill pop you a couple links that will really enlighten you.

Thank you I will.
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
915 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
Welcome bros.
No harm in rubbing some egos the wrong way or stirring things up.....occasionally.....sometimes I do get sick of my PCTs and bends and my switches and my double l***s and my peeks.We do need some spice at times,don't we;-).
When things get heated up here.....it also helps in getting to know the real person living behind the masks (which we all wear)!
Garrette
View Profile
Special user
926 Posts

Profile of Garrette
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 08:21, mindshrink wrote:
Welcome bros.
No harm in rubbing some egos the wrong way or stirring things up.....occasionally.....sometimes I do get sick of my PCTs and bends and my switches and my double l***s and my peeks.We do need some spice at times,don't we;-).
When things get heated up here.....it also helps in getting to know the real person living behind the masks (which we all wear)!
Absolutely wrong! How dare you insinuate that about me?! You completely misunderstand everything I have said, and I can only conclude you have done so intentionally.

Plus, Banachek.

Oh, and welcome to WitchesHat. I'm one of the nicer guys here, but stop looking at me funny. I mean it...
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2531 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Very nice of you to introduce yourself--Welcome!
Mike Ince
View Profile
Inner circle
2015 Posts

Profile of Mike Ince
Howdy!
The secret of deception is in making the truth seem ridiculous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Introducing myself here. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL