The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 50/50 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Hey guys, can I get a list of good magic effects that have a 50/50 ratio of being correct but that you can predict correctly 100% of the time?(Such as which hand, heads or tails, etc.)

For those with Colin McLeod's live penguin lecture, I want to perform his confabulation routine but I don't have the fancy device needed for that. I would rather do three different tests. Maybe progressively harder in laymen's eyes. If there is a need to PM me for exposure reasons, feel free to do so.

Thanks for the help,
Madison
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Heads or Tails ... G.Wilson's method from AOA, re-released on his new DVD.

That's the impromptu method I'd use.
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
The envelope game by Matt Mello. You may want to check that one out. I found I rather liked it
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-05-27 22:13, Mind illusionist wrote:
The envelope game by Matt Mello. You may want to check that one out. I found I rather liked it

I thought about that one as well but for Colin's effect it really wouldn't work :/

After contemplating this all day, I think the only way to really do the effect is to just get the certain device. Looks like I won't be doing this anytime in the near future
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Guess if the new child will be male or female.
Guess if the spectator has a motorcycle or not
Guess etc...
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
tgplano
View Profile
Special user
Ted Gillam
614 Posts

Profile of tgplano
Kannon,

I have Art of Astonishment and can't find "Heads or Tails" by Gregory Wilson. Can you give me a better reference?

Thanks, Ted
Mentalism for the Metroplex
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
The new two (or three) "which hand" coin effect entitled "Gerti" is very worth checking out, and it is not expensive.

George
kannon
View Profile
Inner circle
BCN
1026 Posts

Profile of kannon
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 08:25, tgplano wrote:
Kannon,

I have Art of Astonishment and can't find "Heads or Tails" by Gregory Wilson. Can you give me a better reference?

Thanks, Ted

Hey Ted,

its in volume 1 (the books not the DVD), In the Greg Wilson section near the end.
Haven't got the books on me but can tell you its a pretty small write up and I think with no illustrations.
A gem, as its brilliant, natural and is largely unknown, not anymore with this new dvd ... Hence my loose tongue on this.

Enjoy
My work and the Mtangulizi here http://kannonsworks.weebly.com featuring work on drawing duplications, a fiddle-free billet tear, bar mentalism, pendulums
Looch
View Profile
Inner circle
Off by
3449 Posts

Profile of Looch
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 05:16, parmenion wrote:

Guess if the spectator has a motorcycle or not
Guess etc...

That has to be one of the funniest things I've read on here for a while!!
My Mentalism Products: https://www.readmymind.co.uk/
Bookings: https://looch.co.uk/
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17675 Posts

Profile of Slim King
ROSHAMBO can easily be adapted to a simple 50/50.
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
WitchesHat
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of WitchesHat
I think Luke Jermay has a smash and stab that's 50/50. Pendulums are binary (back and forth, going in circles). Fast and loose is a good one, the bounce/no bounce ball could be adapted, the 'Ten card poker deal' (wouldn't you know it Jermay has something on that too) and O.O.T.W. could fit the theme although I realise they aren't actually 50/50.

There are also plenty of themes you could structure many existing methods around. Living or dead, hot or cold, night or day, dangerous or safe, happy or sad, empty or full, true or false, good or evil.

So for example using a swami and a dangerous/safe theme:

You have three volunteers and 4 pairs of pictures of food, (So two pictures of a pizza, two pictures of a hamburger etc), You hold up two of the pictures and say: 'These two look exactly the same but they couldn't be more different. One is a nice tasty pizza that's a perfect way to end a fun night out with your friends, the other's a pizza that some random psychotic mindreader has poisoned, thereby ruining your fun night out and putting you in a coma for ten years. You loose your job, your partner, your house and your i-phone family plan. Your facebook page disappears so all your friends move on and forget you. You are let out of the hospital a vagrant, a ghost left to die on the streets. Your life is now ruined all because you picked the wrong pizza.' Turn the pictures over to reveal one has a big black x on the back.

Discard those first two pictures and have each volunteer pick one of the remaining three pairs. Talk about luck or influence or whatever your spiel is. Have them turn it over to see if they picked the crossed out poisoned picture, or the clean picture.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-05-28 21:09, WitchesHat wrote:
I think Luke Jermay has a smash and stab that's 50/50. Pendulums are binary (back and forth, going in circles). Fast and loose is a good one, the bounce/no bounce ball could be adapted, the 'Ten card poker deal' (wouldn't you know it Jermay has something on that too) and O.O.T.W. could fit the theme although I realise they aren't actually 50/50.

There are also plenty of themes you could structure many existing methods around. Living or dead, hot or cold, night or day, dangerous or safe, happy or sad, empty or full, true or false, good or evil.

So for example using a swami and a dangerous/safe theme:

You have three volunteers and 4 pairs of pictures of food, (So two pictures of a pizza, two pictures of a hamburger etc), You hold up two of the pictures and say: 'These two look exactly the same but they couldn't be more different. One is a nice tasty pizza that's a perfect way to end a fun night out with your friends, the other's a pizza that some random psychotic mindreader has poisoned, thereby ruining your fun night out and putting you in a coma for ten years. You loose your job, your partner, your house and your i-phone family plan. Your facebook page disappears so all your friends move on and forget you. You are let out of the hospital a vagrant, a ghost left to die on the streets. Your life is now ruined all because you picked the wrong pizza.' Turn the pictures over to reveal one has a big black x on the back.

Discard those first two pictures and have each volunteer pick one of the remaining three pairs. Talk about luck or influence or whatever your spiel is. Have them turn it over to see if they picked the crossed out poisoned picture, or the clean picture.

Some nice ideas there. I may be able to use some of them in one way or another for this routine.
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
Patrick Redford's Prevaricator is technically 25%, but if presented as lie detection rather than which hand, you have 50/50.

Also Banachek's Ring Of Truth.

Which leads me to an interesting question I've considered for a while about the potential of combining these two effects, but I won't derail this thread.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 01:37, C.J. wrote:
Patrick Redford's Prevaricator is technically 25%, but if presented as lie detection rather than which hand, you have 50/50.

Also Banachek's Ring Of Truth.

Which leads me to an interesting question I've considered for a while about the potential of combining these two effects, but I won't derail this thread.

I also need things that are just done with one person so that wouldn't work either hahaha.

As for combining them, I have tried it. It works just fine. I started with Prevaricator and then ring of truth really seems to up the ante since they decide which to be.
scottds80
View Profile
Special user
Victoria, Australia
730 Posts

Profile of scottds80
Charles Gauci Eye to eye
"Great Scott the Magician", Gippsland
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Quote:
On 2013-05-29 04:23, scottds80 wrote:
Charles Gauci Eye to eye

That looks perfect.... Holy cow, that routine is incredible. Sent a PM.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » 50/50 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL