The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair suspension cloth (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
My chair suspension cloth has become faded and it needs replacement due to tearing on an important area.
I am wondering if any of you would be willing to share your suggestions regarding the following questions/concerns.

1. What cloth type do you suggest?
2. What colors do you suggest?
3, What colors you suggest avoiding?
4. I need a a new one made, I plan on asking the right individual to replicate the old chair suspension cloth. Who do suggest as an ideal place to have the sewing done/cloth made?

Thanks for any input...

Jim
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
1. Velvet - The fancier the type, the better. Velvet looks sexy, fancy and expensive. Also, it doesn't wrinkle!

2. Bright! Shiny! Not eye-raping shiny, but if you use velvet, dark purple or dark red is the way to go.

3. Dull and boring ones. Black is dull and boring when it comes to what you need to highliht - it would blend too much with the chairs and/or the background, and you want the floatee to pop on the eye of those who watch.

4. A tailor.Don't go for a seamstress, unless it's a really good, trustable one.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
Thanks for your ideas.
I brought in my old chair suspension cloth to a local fabric store. A staff person helped me pick out the right amount of red velvet fabric. The staff person stated she could replicate the fabric at a cost of $20/hour. The red velvet costs about $60. She said it would take about 2 hours to complete. So, that is $80 for a new cloth and everything will look even better than the original. The original used a much less expensive fabric

Thank you for any earlier suggestions.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22405 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Yes, Velvet is not easy to sew, so she will be earning her money. It moves all over the place when trying to put through a sewing machine. Needs special fabric holder devices.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9493 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
The sewing machine Is called a serger.
I have a Serger, a Walking Foot that's also a Long-Arm Patcher and two Lock Stitch machines. Even then those cloths take about two and a half hours with velvet. If you use broadcloth it only takes a little more then one hour.
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
I just wanted to follow up...

The total cost...

$60 for the red velvet material
$40 for the work

80 total and it looks sharp and is so much better than the original
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
992 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Can we see a picture??
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 00:10, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Yes, Velvet is not easy to sew, so she will be earning her money. It moves all over the place when trying to put through a sewing machine. Needs special fabric holder devices.

Yes, they are called pins. Smile
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22405 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No, pins will not hold velvet, it is a special board with hundred of wire sticking up, this grabs the fabric and hold it so it can be sewn.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-06-14 16:54, Bill Hegbli wrote:
No, pins will not hold velvet, it is a special board with hundred of wire sticking up, this grabs the fabric and hold it so it can be sewn.

Odd, when my wife, the professional seamstress and corseteer sews on velvet she only uses pins, and skill. Perhaps drapery makers use the special boards of which you speak. But for a project as small as making a replacement cloth for a chair suspension pins would work just fine.
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
The total was $100 with supplies and labor.

Due to this being a public forum, I'd rather not disclose a pic of the cloth.

The woman had a lot of experience. She said she had no problem working with the velvet. It took her two hours to complete. I tested the cloth in the driveway when she dropped it off at my house. I used it in a show two hours later. I have used it in about 6 shows so far.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
If you'd married a seamstress you'd have saved yourself forty bucks Smile Possibly more as she might have already had the perfect fabric in her stash of yardage.

Better yet you could learn to sew yourself. It really isn't all that difficult for basic stuff. I've made Devil's Hanks, Egg Bags, Change Bags, backdrops and even a straight jacket. It's a useful skill to have at your disposal
MagicJim
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of MagicJim
When I started in magic 16 years ago I'd never thought there would be a connection between magic and sewing/having skills manipulating fabrics... I totally agree with you, it has come up many times that I wish I would possess these skills.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9493 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
At 20 an hour for sewing, I should send her all my work Smile
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Keep in mind when working with the cloth for this illusion it is very important that it be set up properly. it is not just a cloth. this really is an intrical part of the illusion and there are many factors that need to be considered to make it really work for you. I worked with and tlaked with jim sommers a while back as I felt his clopth system and set up was one of the best I have seen. We implemented design ideas to it that anhance the illusion and ensure it works properly.

I can not discuss all the secrets here to the cloth design. however, message me if you would like more information on the cloth set up. I would be happy to go over them with you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Keep in mind when working with the cloth for this illusion it is very important that it be set up properly. It is not just a cloth. This really is an intrical part of the illusion and there are many factors that need to be considered to make it really work for you. I worked with and tlaked with jim sommers a while back as I felt his cloth system and set up was one of the best I have seen. We implemented design ideas to it that anhance the illusion and ensure it works properly.

I can not discuss all the secrets here to the cloth design. however, message me if you would like more information on the cloth set up. I would be happy to go over them with you.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Chair suspension cloth (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL