The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Coins question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Adam Fraise
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Adam Fraise
I have searched for any threads on this but couldn't find anything.
I have always used English old pennies - just over 1 inch in diameter. I have just started reading Tarbell who recommends a knurled edge. He also says you can buy silver dollars from magic stores but the 2 main online stores I use don't stock them - only Chinese coins which I don't want to use (I want to use regular looking coins). Some people recommend 2 Euro coins.

Where do you guys get your coins from?
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
911 Posts

Profile of Riley
Try the old English half crowns - nice coins, slightly bigger than the penny and with the knurled edge. I got some a few years
back from a collectors fair/flea market. You may also find two shilling coins (florin) - slightly smaller than the penny.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8173 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hello Adam!

RE: Honorable "Doc" TARBELL and his course. The original course was published in the 1920s! The Hardbound course was first published in the '40s--except for Volume 7. So, some of his references "may" be a bit "dated".

Try shops that sell collectible $$$$$ SILVER coins. (even EISENHOWER $ which are not silver. Be prepared to spend some money for these however.

Otherwise, follow Mr. Riley's advice!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Matthew Crabtree
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Matthew Crabtree
While I have been trying to find some good quality Chinese coins for spellbound, it took me some time to find the Eisenhower dollars. I ended up spending $1.75 each on them. I have been looking at the $2 Canadian coin. Not sure what the edging on them are though.
Adam Fraise
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Adam Fraise
Thanks Riley (or should that be Mr Riley?). Nice to have comments from someone on this side of the pond as availability of coins is location specific to some extent. I used to love half crown coins as a kid so am pleased to have an excuse to buy some. I think florins would be too small for my hands for most manipulations that I want to do.
Adam Fraise
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Adam Fraise
Quote:
On 2013-05-30 08:01, Dick Oslund wrote:
Hello Adam!

RE: Honorable "Doc" TARBELL and his course. The original course was published in the 1920s! The Hardbound course was first published in the '40s--except for Volume 7. So, some of his references "may" be a bit "dated".

Yes, I realise this, the patter is hilarious - eg ask a member of the audience to write something on the coin. "Your girls telephone number will do. Then I can call her in the morning".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Coins question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL