We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I just saw 'Now You See Me'... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
The movie was good.

A lot of inside jokes.

A lot of homage you'd be able to catch. Nice. Smile

You'll want to see it twice.

I ain't tellin' why. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I almost never catch homages. After I see it, I'll go on tvtropes.org and see what they have to say.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
psychod
View Profile
Regular user
I may not be a millionaire but at least I have
199 Posts

Profile of psychod
I just saw this today as well. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. There are several pretty clever lines. I agree about the "seeing it twice" part as there are some things I want to check.

Dave
Just adding my 3 cents worth because anybody can add their 2 cents worth...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-01 21:57, psychod wrote:
I just saw this today as well. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. There are several pretty clever lines. I agree about the "seeing it twice" part as there are some things I want to check.

Dave

Clever marketing ain't it? Smile
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
934 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I watched the trailer and read the reviews at Rotten Tomatoes, and almost did not go to see the film as it looked so bad. But I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the film and did enjoy the inside jokes. A little bit too much CGI but, hey, it's Hollywood. And I found the end a little bit ... wanting, for lack of a better word. But an enjoyable ride of a film. Woody Harrelson was great from his first shot. Loved the character.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
My wife, who definitely isn't a magic fan, and I went to see this last night. I liked it a lot and she liked it also.
In the first place, don't go to see this movie expecting to see a lot of really great magic. Their was some magic and it was good, but it was also kind of prosaic. There was another thread discussing Jessie Eisenberg's appearance on Letterman and his attempt there to do a card trick, and so it was a bit funny to see an obvious "hand double" doing some impressive card flourishes at the very beginning (but Boy!, were they impressive). A lot of the rest of the stuff was CGI as Barry notes. So this is an action/thriller movie with magic being the main engine.
That having been said, this was a really tightly paced movie with very high production values. Although there were two chase sequences they didn't feel like they were being thrown in to fill up time. In fact, watch the car chase sequence carefully, because it is, in fact, based on a magical premise.
The lovely french interpol detective gives a little speech about what the point of magic is that could have come from Steinmeyer I thought. All of the performances were good. Yes, Woody Harrelson gives a standout turn, as does Mark Ruffolo. Even Jesse Eisenberg is convincing, even though he only started working on magic and sleight of hand four weeks before production started.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have never liked Rotton Tomatoe's reviews. One exception, a lot of those movies they don't like, I do.
Dennis Michael
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I loved the 'Derren Brownish' bits...

That made the movie for me.

And Copperfield's 'Portal' influence. Smile
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20524 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lucy and I saw this after her show Sunday. We saw it as a very entertaining mystery with magicians as characters. The "magic" was typical FX. To pros, the post production will be obvious.

It is still a good movie. Go see it!
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2128 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
I LOVED it!! It keeps you guessing right up till the end! One of the most humorously realistic parts was where the young girl is all over the guy before he sees the tarot card. I swear, that is TOTALLY how female magic-groupies behave!
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
Quote:
On 2013-06-04 14:21, The Mighty Fool wrote:
I LOVED it!! It keeps you guessing right up till the end! One of the most humorously realistic parts was where the young girl is all over the guy before he sees the tarot card. I swear, that is TOTALLY how female magic-groupies behave!

Wow! Why did I wait so long to get into magic!? You mean it would help me meet hot women who will *want* me? LOL!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Went and saw it last night and really enjoyed it. It was a good mystery that really fooled me at the end.

While some have commented on the CGI, I look at it differently. I remember a lecture I went to at last years IMX by a Swedish magician. (I wish I could remember who it was!) He talked about the creative process in the context of a TV show he was doing where they had to come up regularly with new effects. Instead of having an illusion and deciding how to use it, they would come up with ideas of cool things to do and then brainstormed on how to accomplish it not even knowing if it could be done.

That's how I looked at some of the cool 'magic' tricks in the movie. Wow! That's cool! I wonder if there's a way that someone could actually accomplish that! After all, some of the tricks that Morgan Freeman exposed to the police seemed equally impossible until they were exposed!

While others have also mentioned that it was unbelievable, (to which I agree), I didn't find it any more unbelievable than, say, any James Bond movie would be.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I guess I am alone I having been bored with one dimentional predictable characters and obvious plot twists.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 16:53, Dannydoyle wrote:
I guess I am alone I having been bored with one dimentional predictable characters and obvious plot twists.

You're not the only one. That's exactly how I felt about it.

Full review (I'd rather not clog up this thread with a huge post since I've already got it at an external link): http://bmmagic.tumblr.com/post/519698384......ler-free
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 16:53, Dannydoyle wrote:

Relax. Enjoy it for what it is....

It's a popcorn movie. Don't expect too much. Smile

They acted okay...

Still think they should've gotten Adam Rodriguez aka Eric Delko, from CSI Miami, to potray a David Blaine-like character. Smile

I've actually met Magicians like the ones potrayed in that film, though they weren't that good. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Looks like Brian and me on the island.

Enjoy it for what it was? It was a failure as a caper movie and utter nonsense as anything else.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
I'll wait for it on Netflix. I have a sixth sense about movies that I think will be excellent and this isn't one of them.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 22:55, Bob1Dog wrote:
I'll wait for it on Netflix. I have a sixth sense about movies that I think will be excellent and this isn't one of them.

I would urge you to see it at the movies Bob... Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 19:55, Dannydoyle wrote:
Looks like Brian and me on the island.

Enjoy it for what it was? It was a failure as a caper movie and utter nonsense as anything else.

Well, okay... Smile
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-06-08 01:44, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 22:55, Bob1Dog wrote:

I would urge you to see it at the movies Bob... Smile

Pakar, only because you recommend it I will see it at the movies. But I will also speak honestly about my sixth sense after having seen it. Hey, I could be wrong too! Been wrong lotsa times before. Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I just saw 'Now You See Me'... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL