The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jessica Sanchez sings Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You'... :) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I liked it. She was American Idol runner up last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swwGSPa80SM

At the American Idol...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBmMaDJK74U

Smile

Admittedly, NO ONE will ever sing it as well as Whitney but Jessica did do it justice imho...

RIP Whitney Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It's a Dolly Parton song...
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 14:32, tomsk192 wrote:
It's a Dolly Parton song...

It is, I know... Smile

But she sang the Whitney version. Smile

Love Dolly as well...
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3536 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I love the Dolly Parton version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utP1mGoutQ

This guy said it as well as I could:

"Zach Bond 2 weeks ago
Dolly's is much better than Whitney's. I'm sorry, Nippy has a fantastic voice, however Dolly's version is much more heartfelt and emotive. I feel that Whitney was just trying to prove that she had the best voice out there, it was way too showy. Plus, You can listen to Dolly's version over and over and over and never get sick of it. I have listened to it about 7 times in a row just now and not sick of it. Whitney is good the first time, but then its impossible t get through a second time."
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Elvis wanted to record "I Will Always Love You" but the standard deal with Elvis was if he recorded your song you had to turn over at least half the rights. Dolly said she was heartbroken that Elvis wasn't going to record it but she had long since made the decision not to sell her publishing, and stood firm. Turned out to be a very wise move as the Whitney Houston version made her an absolute fortune.

Regardless of the version it's a great song. At one time or another the two versions topped almost every chart there is. Hot 100, Hot 100 Country (twice), Hot 100 Adult Contemporary, Hot 100 R&B, Hot 100 Single Sales, etc. And when it hit the top, it usually spent weeks and weeks there. A pretty amazing accomplishment.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4142 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 15:54, Pop Haydn wrote:
I love the Dolly Parton version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_utP1mGoutQ

This guy said it as well as I could:

"Zach Bond 2 weeks ago
Dolly's is much better than Whitney's. I'm sorry, Nippy has a fantastic voice, however Dolly's version is much more heartfelt and emotive. I feel that Whitney was just trying to prove that she had the best voice out there, it was way too showy. Plus, You can listen to Dolly's version over and over and over and never get sick of it. I have listened to it about 7 times in a row just now and not sick of it. Whitney is good the first time, but then its impossible t get through a second time."

This is kind of reminiscent of something I heard about, recently. Harry Connick, Jr., trying to coach Amrerican Idol contestants in how to sing older ballads (I think one of them was "I'll Be Seeing You"). They just couldn't bring themselves to reign the vocal fireworks so that it worked well with the words and music. The vocal talent had to be primary, and on display - performance had to fit the singer, rather than the singer adjusting for the music - and the meaning/character of the songs were rather lost.

This is the same reason I don't care at all for a lot of performances of the Star Spangled Banner - the singer makes it about his/her own performance, rather than what the song is about and *why* it is being sung.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Jessica Sanchez sings Whitney Houston's 'I Will Always Love You'... :) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL