The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tels Bells problem! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I must not have had my Wheaties this morning, as I received a Tel's Bels from the big auction today, and my fingers aren't strong enough to work the gimmick.
I heard the older ones sometimes got too loose but that won't be a problem with this puppy.
Anyone have any suggestions? Other than start working out?
Thanks
Jef
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Afraid I can't help. Mine has never been too hard to push. It has loosened on two occasions. Then one simply has to drop a dab of super-glue on the threads before retightening. Perhaps you may need to adjust your grip when ringing the bell. Try holding it closer to the gimmick, so that your thumb is slightly bent. Then the strength of your thumb should be sufficient to push it forward. If that doesn’t work, you may have a defective bell.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I can hardly move the gimmick with both hands. Who built this, the Incredible Hulk?
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-06-03 17:58, Jef Eaton wrote:
I can hardly move the gimmick with both hands. Who built this, the Incredible Hulk?
Definitely a defective bell. Even when new, movement should take a minimum of strength,
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Damian
View Profile
Veteran user
363 Posts

Profile of Damian
Mine's pretty tough to set as well. Not as difficult as yours sounds, Jef, but it's a pretty strong tension. My thumb gets sore after a couple go-rounds. I figured if I practiced with it for a few weeks, I'd build up strength. That's how I learned to blow up 260s anyway.... Obviously, I haven't plugged it into a routine yet, so haven't done much "training."
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Jef, I am one of those that has the problem with the looseness. Still, the mechanism is not easy to push. I had mine apart years ago, and to be truthful I cannot really remember how it made. Obviously there is some sort of spring, or something that causes the tension. You may be able to loosen it some, but you will have to take it apart.

It could also be the threaded rod, or screw running through the hole. If the screw is too large and/or bent, or if the hole is too small and/or not bored true then I imagine it might make it tight.

Again, I can't really remember how it is made. I am just going from my memory, and that is not a very good source!

I would advice you to be extremely cautious if you decide to make any adjustments on yours. As I said, too tight is not my problem so I don't know if the same applies, but there is a very fine line between just right and too loose, so be careful!

It could be that you got one that has been repaired, reworked or something, who knows. It's hard to imagine one being as tight as you describe without something going wrong after the fact.

Good luck! I am very curious to see what the problem is, so keep us posted!
Mister Mystery
magicden
View Profile
Regular user
scotland
103 Posts

Profile of magicden
With my bell you just have to twist the handle a little to loosen off to make pushing easier or twist opposite way to re tighten.
Den
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Jef. Ive had 6 Tells Bells now and the first was Terry's Lecture bell. You can alter the strength of them but you have to take them apart and unscrew the nut.
But if you cant push the gimmick then actually push the bell part forward it will work just as well.
If you try and have trouble just ask and I will talk you through it.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Jef, I don't own it, but a friend of mine owns one. His bell also is extremely tough to set -- I needed two hands to do it. So you are not alone my friend....
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
Thanks to all the guys who gave ideas. I think I have the problem solved. I now just have my wife do the sound effect with the bell and I never use the gimmick. LOL
No really, I played with it, messed around with the nut, and Jimbo's trick will work fine.
I am off to do the summer tour and already broke the leaf springs on our trailer and left it at an RV place 500 miles from the fair. Fortunately, I left a week early to see our grandson so they can get it fixed and I will pick it up Friday and go to work then. Luckily the good Lord was watchin' out for us and it happened 3 blocks from an RV dealer. Life on the road....whew!
Again, thanks guys for all the help.
Jef
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
johnjack
View Profile
New user
Staten Island New York
38 Posts

Profile of johnjack
Anyone know if Terry Herbert will fix a tels bell. I used to utilize it years ago in my show when I attempted to take it apart because it was practically ringing by its self. I have to dig it out of my closet but I loved it. Any suggestions ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Tels Bells problem! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL