The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Could One Sell a Levitation as Mental Control? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
That's what Special Head seemed to be doing - with his mantra-like vocalizing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla......4d3hEJ0Y
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5943 Posts

Profile of george1953
Nice presentation, a bit slow starting, in these competitions you cant afford to be slow, but I liked his take on the illusion and at least he took his x back, well done.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
728 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
Howard refers to the effect as a "Trick" so I would say... no.

Also, nice surprise performance.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
Chaz93
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1753 Posts

Profile of Chaz93
I think that was one of the better levitations I've seen, as far as presentation. Unlike when the levitation was popular in the past by just saying "watch this" and going, Special Head developed a whole routine, complete with a bit of story and a "process", something I feel is all too lacking (especially in mentalism). The effect was simple to understand, it followed a logical course to get there, the process was demonstrable (and he really sold it with the facial expressions... or tried to anyway), and the entire bit was entertaining. Overall I say well done to Special Head, I enjoyed that performance.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
I just think he's a one trick pony.

That said, this guy is all over YouTube. He is a street performer and will after be a living statue that will randomly float. He also voice sings.
Godzilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Tied & Untied Witches on
5316 Posts

Profile of Godzilla
Quote:
On 2013-06-05 21:29, jamiesalinas wrote:
Howard refers to the effect as a "Trick" so I would say... no.

I have to agree with,Jamie!
I wonder if he gave a disclaimer,before performance ? lol
"If you watch Godzilla backwards, it's about a big ass lizard who helps rebuild a half burnt-down city, then moonwalks back into the ocean"
Chris Cheong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
100 Posts

Profile of Chris Cheong
Levitation is widely known to laymen as a magic effect not mentalism.

Try perform psychokinesis effect - that's as impressive as levitation when it happens on the spectator's hand. Smile
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
I think he took a serious chance using a name like "Special Head". Watch the judges reaction to
that was already dismissive and he has done nothing up till then. Aaron Crow appear on Britain's Got Talent and the stage manager explained that the performer would not be introducing themselves as this would break his concentration and could be potentially dangerous....No one buzzed him, even Simon Cowell, who hates magic was intrigued enough to stay the course.

Special Head's effect was clearly very powerful, and many may have believed his levitation was somehow possible, until that is a smoke pod fired breaking that spell by screaming "trick". Only a stage performer would resort to such theatrics.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
I have used a chair levitation in a pseudo hypnosis presentation having the audience member visualise themselves suspended from an imagined cable. The chair is removed and audience clearly see around the board.
I had a Polaroid picture taken an handed to the assisting audience member after bring them back to reality!
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

backinblack
View Profile
Special user
910 Posts

Profile of backinblack
Sure you can present it as a mind over matter act..

magneto-syle like x-men e.g.. if you can bend spoons why not make you levitate?
mindshrink
View Profile
Special user
Delhi,India
916 Posts

Profile of mindshrink
The bell is commonly used in Buddhist monasteries (and also in homes)...the 'chant' was typically Buddhist too....low frequencies help to calm the mind to get a person to the theta levels.
Not bad as presented as a mind-power effect !
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
It may not have been mentalism, but it was a vast improvement over Colin McLeod's appearance on the UK version of this show. I think proper mentalism may be almost impossible to pull off on an amateur talent show where the winner turns out to be a performing dog.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
But, then again, Eric Dittleman did a fine job last year on AGT and made it all the was to the final 12.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-06-06 08:57, dusty wrote: Special Head's effect was clearly very powerful, and many may have believed his levitation was somehow possible, until that is a smoke pod fired breaking that spell by screaming "trick".
You're absolutely right. I forgot about the flash pot. Had he eliminated the flash pot and, instead dropped to the floor as though he were emotionally, mentally and physically exhausted, it would have played better for mentalism.

Quote:
On 2013-06-06 12:42, mastermindreader wrote: But, then again, Eric Dittleman did a fine job last year on AGT and made it all the was to the final 12.
Good point, Bob. Dittleman made it that far because he kept it fast-paced. I’m a story-teller. I like to build up the back-story on my effects. So I could never make it in the time constraints that AGT has. I believe that your personal presentation of C**n*****e would fly on AGT, though.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

PhilDean
View Profile
Elite user
445 Posts

Profile of PhilDean
The only thing that ruined it for me was the smoke pot. Unnecessary and blew the moment. Also his stage name is terrible. It alse takes away from his advertised persona IMHO.

However, when I read the title of this thread I immediately thought of this guy. Answers the question in a way.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
OK so he gets through. What does he do next?????

Has anyone in the Café heard of this guy?
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 10:41, dusty wrote:
OK so he gets through. What does he do next?????

Killer Red Caps?
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
People here are denouncing the smoke pot. I see their point, but surely in terms of the effect, this was a necessary evil? I don't think it was a stylistic choice.

*EDIT*: Aw darn it, we're in Penny. I'd better delete that extra comment....
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 20:40, C.J. wrote:
People here are denouncing the smoke pot. I see their point, but surely in terms of the effect, this was a necessary evil? I don't think it was a stylistic choice.

*EDIT*: Aw darn it, we're in Penny. I'd better delete that extra comment....
You know, CJ, I could almost agree with you, as for the flashpot being a necessary evil. But, Special Head handled the necessary movements leading up to the wow-moment with a certain aplomb that could have been incorporated in the back end of his presentation as well. Whadayathink?
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Could One Sell a Levitation as Mental Control? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL