The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gold Stripe on Bunny Box (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
I have a bunny (balloon-to-bunny) box that needs a new paint job (among other things).

There is some kind of gold-colored striping on it. I have another box with similar material and it was a pain to remove.

Does anybody know what this might be, how to remove it, and where to find replacement material?

I first thought auto pin-striping material, but it isn't like anything that our neighborhood auto supply store carries.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thom, I'm not sure if it is what you want, but I have used pin striping that I bought at hobby shops. It comes in various widths and colors. Art supply stores also sell pin striping material. I was looking at some basic colors (black, white, red, blue) recently that I ran across at Michael's but I do not remember seeing any gold.

Check out Tower Hobbies. That is where I bought mine, and they used to have a large selection of pin striping.

As for removing the old stuff, I would suggest pulling off as much as you can. If you have to, carefully use an exacto knife or some sort of thin blade to get underneath it. Once you get the thick part off you can use Naphtha (lighter fluid) to remove any remaining gummy residue.

You might should test an inconspicuous area to make sure the naphtha doesn't harm the finish.

Good luck!
Mister Mystery
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Thank you.

I'm actually not worried about the finish, as I plan to refinish it. I want to get rid of the stripping so I an refinish it. I don't think paint remover works on this stuff.

Thom
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Try "Goo Gone". I also find that nail polish remover often removes glues very well.
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
My problem is not the residue, it's how do I get the stripes off in the fist place. They don't come up with the stripper, and they don't seem to sand off very well either.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Have you tried a woodworker's scraper?
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I agree with Michael. If you are going to refinish the prop you can get rather physical with it! LOL You can always use wood filler to repair any imperfections you may have caused.
Mister Mystery
Thom Bliss
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern California
271 Posts

Profile of Thom Bliss
Michael:

I don't even know what a wordworker's scraper is, but I'll look for one.

Thanks.

Thom
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Do a Google image search and you'll see different stryles. In your case, you's just need a wide flat one. It's basicially a wide straight sharp edge. You drag/pull it on the workpiece to level the surface, kind of like a hand plane without all the extra stuff. You want to pull it across the wood, not push it.

Real old school stuff, but still works.

You might be able to use a single edged razor blade, but you'll want a light hand so you don't gouge the wood.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Gold Stripe on Bunny Box (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL