We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Eat or no eat? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I never want to be seen by or mingle with an audience prior to a show. When I'm introduced that's when they meet me for the first time. When I come on stage and say that we've never met or spoken before the show, I'm speaking the truth.

After the show, I'll mingle.
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Didn't know communions used entertainment-must be a European thing.

I never eat with the guest. Plus, your pants get wrinkled sitting and you might spill something on yourself.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If I eat, I eat after the show. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
I never eat before the show. If I am asked to Dine with them after the show and I do not have anywhere else to go then I will sit down with them. This Humanizes me with my Clients and their Friends. And sometimes it even gets me a booking. I always want my Clients to know that I am not above them I am equal to them. Most of my clients really like if I spend a few minutes with them or even an hour as that makes them comfortable and in that type of situation I have met some really good very wealthy people. And I have had them call me to hire me as they stated I seemed to be genuine and a real person who has a Professional Act but can still mingle with the crowd and it very approachable.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"



In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I would decline by saying I have already made plans for dinner afterwards, and leave it at that. The plans I might have made could be the drive through at the local fast food joint. The details of the "plans" I've already made aren't important and I don't have to explain myself. "Thank you, but no thank you, I have a previously scheduled appointment to attend."

You might also say you have a date afterwards...maybe it's a date with your wife, significant other or even a quiet night at home with your dog, cat, fish or even yourself on the couch!! Smile

Mark.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 01:00, Rodney Palmer wrote:
I never eat before the show. If I am asked to Dine with them after the show and I do not have anywhere else to go then I will sit down with them. This Humanizes me with my Clients and their Friends. And sometimes it even gets me a booking. I always want my Clients to know that I am not above them I am equal to them. Most of my clients really like if I spend a few minutes with them or even an hour as that makes them comfortable and in that type of situation I have met some really good very wealthy people. And I have had them call me to hire me as they stated I seemed to be genuine and a real person who has a Professional Act but can still mingle with the crowd and it very approachable.

Rodney


I like that, your whole mindset and approach. Smile

Nice.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Christophercarter
View Profile
Regular user
131 Posts

Profile of Christophercarter
A marketing expert once explained to me that the invitation to eat with a client is never about the food. It's an invitation to form interpersonal bonds and cement relationships. He explained that by declining the invitation I could be percieved as shunning that relationship, and at best I would be turning down a golden opportunity to network. So I took his advice to heart, and now I always eat with the client, specifically at the table with the owner or higher level of executives of the company.

The difference has been astonishing. It was quite simply the most powerful marketing advice I have ever recieved. You will never have a better opportunity to find out what a client's additional needs are than during this pre-show conversation, nor will you ever have a better opportunity to paint a picture of what else you can do for that client. And the best part is it you're never selling anything. All you're doing is saying yes to a buyer's request to get to know you better.

Now that I realize what that invitation was really about as well as the huge amount of business I was effectively turning away by turning it down, I've become a bit of a preacher for the concept of "Never Eat Alone" (which, btw, is the title of an excellent book on networking.)
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 11:10, Christophercarter wrote:
A marketing expert once explained to me that the invitation to eat with a client is never about the food. It's an invitation to form interpersonal bonds and cement relationships. He explained that by declining the invitation I could be percieved as shunning that relationship, and at best I would be turning down a golden opportunity to network. So I took his advice to heart, and now I always eat with the client, specifically at the table with the owner or higher level of executives of the company.

The difference has been astonishing. It was quite simply the most powerful marketing advice I have ever recieved. You will never have a better opportunity to find out what a client's additional needs are than during this pre-show conversation, nor will you ever have a better opportunity to paint a picture of what else you can do for that client. And the best part is it you're never selling anything. All you're doing is saying yes to a buyer's request to get to know you better.

Now that I realize what that invitation was really about as well as the huge amount of business I was effectively turning away by turning it down, I've become a bit of a preacher for the concept of "Never Eat Alone" (which, btw, is the title of an excellent book on networking.)


Great advice. Thanks. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
innercirclewannabe
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1585 Posts

Profile of innercirclewannabe
Quote:
On 2013-06-07 20:40, Jerskin wrote:
Didn't know communions used entertainment-must be a European thing.

I never eat with the guest. Plus, your pants get wrinkled sitting and you might spill something on yourself.


Thankfully it is no longer a somber affair with men in black dresses telling us how to behave!

I also try to avoid the audience prior to performing. Afterwards I have a chat with them if they want, and it tends to help with my BOR sales! Smile
Tá sé ach cleas má dhéanann tú sé cuma mhaith ar cheann.
Chris Cheong
View Profile
New user
Malaysia
100 Posts

Profile of Chris Cheong
Never eat BEFORE a show. Because:

Burping is not cool on stage.

It happen to me twice many years ago and I learned.
Regards,
Chris
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
724 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
As you can see...it depends upon the performer. For me, if it is not a corporate event and is in a home, I will take a plate to go if they insist I have some food. This can sometimes be prepared\made by the host and they are proud of their cooking. I will take it to go because "I have another show and I will have to leave right after my performance and before my show, I must prepare for the show." If the food is great, you can enjoy it after your show. I have found they will often pack a large plate with extra food as they often will have extra food.

If it is a corporate event and I do have time, I have found that by dining with my customer allows me to create a relationship that has allowed me to have a lot of repeat business. Often, I will have performed prior to dinner during the cocktail hour and will have met many of the guests. I will be seated at the VIP table often with the CEO and top executives of the company. I will ask questions about them and what they do. Of course I am very interested and impressed! I will usually excuse myself when dessert is served to prepare for the show as most of my performances are after dinner shows.

If you do dine with your customer, eat slow, be VERY carful not do drip anything on you, do not eat all of your food so that you are not feeling full and sluggish during your show. My corporate shows often take place in a hotel where everyone is staying. After my show, I will pack up, head to my room, take a quick shower and head to the bar in another suit. This allows me to get feedback from the guests and I will often have a drink or two with the CEO\boss or person who hired me. There will never be more than two drinks. Again, I am working on relationships here. Many of my customers have been customers for over twenty years. I get a lot of repeat business so this definitely works for me.

What works for me may not work for you. I know some will disagree with me while others will fully agree with what I do. To me, if your customer insists that you do after you have politely declined, I think you should take the food either to go or have a small something.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
david12345
View Profile
Special user
717 Posts

Profile of david12345
Quote:
On 2013-06-09 11:10, Christophercarter wrote:
A marketing expert once explained to me that the invitation to eat with a client is never about the food. It's an invitation to form interpersonal bonds and cement relationships. He explained that by declining the invitation I could be percieved as shunning that relationship, and at best I would be turning down a golden opportunity to network. So I took his advice to heart, and now I always eat with the client, specifically at the table with the owner or higher level of executives of the company.

The difference has been astonishing. It was quite simply the most powerful marketing advice I have ever recieved. You will never have a better opportunity to find out what a client's additional needs are than during this pre-show conversation, nor will you ever have a better opportunity to paint a picture of what else you can do for that client. And the best part is it you're never selling anything. All you're doing is saying yes to a buyer's request to get to know you better.

Now that I realize what that invitation was really about as well as the huge amount of business I was effectively turning away by turning it down, I've become a bit of a preacher for the concept of "Never Eat Alone" (which, btw, is the title of an excellent book on networking.)




Interesting pov
jamiesalinas
View Profile
Special user
Houston
724 Posts

Profile of jamiesalinas
I missed Chris' posting that confirms what works for me. Also please note my drink or two at the bar with the CEO/boss. This is exactly the way to build relationships! If you don't drink, you could always order coffee or tea.

Jamie
Jamie Salinas
ThatsJustWrong!
View Profile
Special user
My flying monkeys are perched on
627 Posts

Profile of ThatsJustWrong!
I like to keep my distance and establish an air of mystery before the show. I don't find it necessary to reveal that my digestive system is a Lovecraftian nightmare that belches noxious gas and likes to vacate itself at inopportune times but, yeah, that's part of it. Another factor is that, despite my girth, I really can't eat much and it can be more insulting to pick at a hostess's cooking in front of her guests than to avoid the meal altogether. I usually explain to the host that it's important that we build relationships during the show but we need to begin as 'strangers' to make that more effective. The exception to this rule is corporate work where a bite beforehand with the Big Cheese is a networking opportunity but I still have to be cautious of what I eat lest there be impromptu intermissions.

After the show, it's the opposite. I seek out my volunteers to thank them, shake babies and kiss hands, and hawk my BOR. I'm Mr. Available though, by that time, people have gotten to know me and are usually filing restraining orders. If I'm offered a plate to take home, I'm always gracious. If it's a rare ethnic delicacy involving tongues and reproductive parts, well hell, I have four dogs and a herd of cats at home. Courtesy is a currency in our business and, as pros, we're supposed to know how to use that to our advantage.
Joe Leo

All entertainers can benefit from some help from an experienced stage director. How about you?

www.MisfitMysteries.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6996 Posts

Profile of Dougini
My situation was different. It was a small party, with hors...hors deu...hors-awww, APPETIZERS! Oh yeah. I scarfed. I was hungry. Bad one. Something..."weren't good". About five minutes into my peformance, I felt it. Uh, oh. I just rushed to the bathroom. It was VIOLENT. Not puking. The other end. The noise could be heard, and I heard the laughing.

That party is still known today as the "Splat Fest". 'Nuff said! Smile

Doug
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Eat or no eat? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL