The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Combining 4th dimension with Emotional Intelligence in same Parlor Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

omniberg
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
8 Posts

Profile of omniberg
I run about a 45 min parlor show. I use rapport throughout talking about psychics and how I differentiate from the "palm reader" you might visit on the street corner. I do this to get audience members involved while at the same time slowly revealing my "character" throughout the show. I always use my own catered version of 4th dimension with credits to Bob Cassidy on his latest work on it. I like to throw EI in the end to sum up my show and leave people thinking... 4D usually goes somewhere in the middle. Are these two effects too similar to be placed in the same parlor show? Any more info needed feel free to ask. Would like your opinions.

Regards
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
After years of performing, studying and reading the opinions of other mentalists, my general opinion boils down to this:
Do what you want, but do it excellently, do it with conviction, and do it for the sake of your audience, not yourself. If you do these things, you will be successful.

I have always liked E.I., even though it is built on a principle that appears in almost all children's magic books. I have used it to great success and profit, and only had one time out of a huge many that the method of stage 3 has been called. But it's not a self-working miracle, and neither is 4DT for that matter. Both effects can be done poorly, without due practice, consideration, scripting or blocking. '

So in answer to your question, although there are similarities between the routines, I can't say a firm Yes or No without seeing how you do it. It could be an outstanding demonstration of empathy and mind-reading. Or it could end up looking like the same single "game" repeated 6 or more times over 45 minutes.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
No one can say whether or not you can do something in your show.
It's your show. Do you think it'll work? R you competent?
omniberg
View Profile
New user
Houston, TX
8 Posts

Profile of omniberg
Ya... with more experimentation it still plays big because of the way I do the presentations; I am definitely over analyzing. They are similar to the mentalist and completely different miracles to the audience. Had a great show last night. I appreciate the insight. I'm always thinking of new ways to twist the tried and true techniques into a unique and effective presentation.

Regards
Mind illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Australia
949 Posts

Profile of Mind illusionist
If I was in your position, I would do both, but don't do the 3rd phase of E.I.

Just my 2 cents though!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Combining 4th dimension with Emotional Intelligence in same Parlor Show (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL