The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickeys retention the best on the planet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
I finally received Mickey Silver's video I had heard so much about. Yes it is true his retention vanish and coin in the mouth is incredible, this is the best I have ever seen.
I watched the move over and over again it was flawless. I hope he comes out with a dvd and teaches his technique.
I spoke to my good buddy Vinny and he told me Mickey was the HIT OF THE LAS VEGAS CONVENTION he said his coin work was a thing of beauty. I must say that after watching the video I agree.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2887 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
I'll second that! FANTASTIC coin work. I missed the LVMI this year but I won't miss it next year.

Mike
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
609 Posts

Profile of canaday
They say that seeing is believing. Well, I’ve seen and I Believe! Hallelujah! Mickey totally makes you believe that he has a coin in his hand. He even opens his hand and shows it to you. Ask him again and he will show you again. Yet, when he opens his hand, the coin is GONE! Holy Moly! This is real magic. I am stunned. Has T. Nelson Downs been reincarnated?

Jim
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Until I see this for myself I am not believing it.

Sure it is good but I think people are hyping it up to much. I didn't get to go to LVMI but my friends that did said he does have a good retention but people are hyping it up to much. From the numerous postings I've seen I am going with the whole overly hyping.

Chris
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13406 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2003-12-02 00:03, Lo-Key wrote:
I finally received Mickey Silvers video I had heard so much about. Yes it is true his retentionvanish and coin in the mouth is increditable,This is the best I have ever seen.
Iwatched the move over and over again it was flawless I hope he comes out with a dvd and teaches his technique,
I spoke to my good buddy Vinny and he told me Mickey was the HIT OF THE LAS VEGAS CONVENTION he said his coin work was a thing of beauty I must say that after watching the video I agree.

It is pretty darn good. I'll say that.
Loved the video.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Chris this is not hype I understand Mickey is going to put out a demo of him doing the retention vanish so it can be downloaded for evey one to see.
I also was told he does the human Slot machine I would love to see this effect also.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Mickey performs the pass about the best I have seen it done.

I am not sure of the exact methodology Mickey is using, but he does it wonderfully...

However...

When all said and done, it's still just a retention pass - it looks like he puts a coin somewhere and we all know what really happens.

If you have never seen or performed a convincing retention pass before, then the hype is deserved. If you have seen and/or performed convincing retention pass before, then what Mickey offers is a new variation to what you have already seen or done. The value of this will be different for various people, therefore, the hype surrounding it will be relative as well.
Click to visit:
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
787 Posts

Profile of tedski
Obviously,there are many variations on the retention pass. Mickey has one that suits his style, and is very practical. I do believe if you study the tape you can figure out the mechanics...

As in much of this art, timing is essential - and as Mickey said, he practiced this MANY hours to get the exact timing. When you can put in the context of a routine as Mickey does, then I believe you have something truly special.

Find out what works best for you and perfect it - and HAVE FUN!
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I have finally (Thanks Mickey) seen the video. I got it today. I also had the opportunity to see and meet Mickey in Las Vegas at the LVMI and I can say, it is not hype. Yes it is "only a retention vanish", but it is very natural and believable and has convincers. There is also an additional convincer technique as well as another idea on manipulating retention of vision.

I am going to counsil Mickey not to put a demo video on the net, but to proceed full speed ahead with an explanation DVD. This really is the next step in retention vanishes. I have seen many retention vanishes by some of the famous and not so famous best coin guys around and this is different. Remember it is only one technique, but has many applications.

The question is, do you want a DVD of only this technique fast, or would you rather wait a little and get a few more ideas from Mickey?

I hope you will all support the work and expense he is putting into this project and will not make copies for your friends. Unlike some venders who feel they need to charge a lot to make something exclusive, Mickey does not want to go that way. So it will be a good value. No, I am not getting a cut of the proceeds.

Kirk Grodske
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
Well I still haven't seen the retention pass although Mickey did email me.

If I were him I would keep this to myself and not spill the works. It IS only a retention pass after all and a whole DVD devoted to one little move is a BAD idea IMHO.

Chris
cperkins
View Profile
Special user
699 Posts

Profile of cperkins
Ah....where are all these videos coming from...would loe to see it.
To see a difficult thing lightly handled gives the impression of the impossible.
(Goethe)
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Mickey needs to put out a DVD but he must get the right people to handle his affairs not some one who is just interested in a profit.
Mickey has many routines using his RP the one I like the best is when he uses three coins to create an audio illusion. He makes it sound like coins are in is left hand using other convincers like pulling the coins out then having them vanish.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
I can't wait to see all the video clips of people putting coins in their mouths after they see Mickey's video.

Too bad. Mickey should write it up, so that his work won't get hacked up by people who don't want to put in the time that the method deserves.

Can you imagine how long it took Mickey to get his Retention to look like that? How many hours in the mirror??
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
I received Mickey's video about a week ago and was very impressed with it. He not only does the retention pass extremely well, he has an entirely new way of thinking about it. Stunning, to say the least...

Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
831 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On 2003-12-02 16:31, tedski wrote:
Obviously,there are many variations on the retention pass. Mickey has one that suits his style, and is very practical. I do believe if you study the tape you can figure out the mechanics...

As in much of this art, timing is essential - and as Mickey said, he practiced this MANY hours to get the exact timing. When you can put in the context of a routine as Mickey does, then I believe you have something truly special.

Find out what works best for you and perfect it - and HAVE FUN!

Well put Ted! I would have to agree, it's all about pratice, practice and more practice. And ultimately, HAVING FUN!!!

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
Mickey's human slot machine routine was the most enjoyable coin magic I've ever seen. For me it was one of the few highlights of the LVMI. True entertainment the way magic should be.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
RE; the suggestion of Mickey doing a DVD but getting the "right" people. I might volunter to be one of the financial supporters of that.
Mike Powers
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
2887 Posts

Profile of Mike Powers
One of the "tells" in a retention vanish is the movement of the right fingers. I have a hard time not reaching out a little with my right fingers. Mickey's technique has NO tells at all. It looks incredible.

His technique for making it seem that the coin is still there when it isn't is also mindblowing. I'm looking forward to an instructional DVD that teaches the proper technique.

Mickey - are you planning on such a project?

Mike
Jason Wethington
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, Fl
615 Posts

Profile of Jason Wethington
Guys, guys, guys...
This isn't "new" why should Mickey publish something? Because we haven't seen it in a while? Ask Chris Korn sometime about the coin in mouth. He was the first person I ever saw do it back in the nineties (wow that sounds weird). I am sure that Mickey does a fine job with it and I would love to see it done and share some of my techniques with him (I have been doing it ever since Chris showed me). Any way Like others have said it is still a retention pass. Not sure there is much new even with the no finger flash (that was published by Corn in Magic a while ago,then again with credits that were older than Chris).
Talk to Jon Townsend as well he says that when Roth first perfected the technique they were vanishing coins into all kinds of places including the mouth.
Just little old me
Jason
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Jason your right this is not new . What is new is Mickey's technique on the retention pass.
Armando lucerio has taken coin Matrix to another level and no one can do it better than him. Just ask any magician that has seen him perform .
The same can be said about Mickeys'retention pass, it is that good . David Roth and Curtis Kam were blown away with Mickeys technique.
just wanted to add this
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickeys retention the best on the planet (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL