The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickeys retention the best on the planet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2005-10-20 18:01, Chris S wrote:...
Jonathon, I am at a loss to understand why comments regarding a persons behaviour when performing have anything to do with the release of the mechanisms of the sleights that are incorporated into the act. This is not a privately held routine. It is available for many people to view. Once you release a routine for all to view, you open youreself up for well-intended criticism, just as you open yourself up to the worthy praise that your efforts deserve. This is not a backroom session. Your views on disucssing the validity of method clearly don't apply here - we are discussing the merits of extraneous movement. The two aspects are entirely different things. The only time they need to be associated is when the method demands that concesssions be made in the movement surrounding it (traditional topiting for example usually requires that some movement is used to execute the ditch). I doubt very much that the pointing and movement that Mickey incorporats into his act are required for the mechanics....

Your statements to me presume much and some of what you presume is incorrect. Your tone is not exactly inviting for a discussion either. If you would like to check your inferences about my position on a matter, try asking questions.

I have seen him do several sleights outside of the context and performing style he shows on his videos. The moves look just fine and are convincing and effective when he does them straight up with no gesturing. I believe I did post to this effect earlier in this thread on other occasions.

Questions?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Chris S
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of Chris S
Well I wouldn't wonder that any questions I have would be artfully deflected. Nevertheless, your position on discussing methods in an open forum are as malleable as many of your other opinions (I am referring to your post on the Coin flux thread that openly exposed a published method for evidence of this. An inconsistent act for someone so devoted to preserving the integrity of the discussion of magic), so I imagine this issue would be no different.
May your moral compass guide you true - South West is where the honourable man fare. Pity those who lose their way...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Try asking questions, and do so in PM

As to the "exposing"... I did not see a citation to the inventor of that item on the video or any mention of the guy in the thread, so did not feel I was expsosing the marketted item. If someone is selling a recycled item without credits to the inventor... not a good thing.

And more to the point, if ANYONE had PM'd to say that I was too close to the workings of that item, the post would have been edited or deleted at my my request.

On a more constructive note, check out the idea of acting and performing persona. The way one performs a piece need not reflect how they are outside of performance.
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
Mr. Townsend, I'm just asking here but exactly how do you get into all these battles? I remember the open-wars with Mb217 and Mr. Gallo...Here now again with Chris S, and there have been many others in the various strings I have wandered in and out of. They all seem to point to the same undercurrents regarding you. Some are straight and to the point, others try to meet you on the square intellectually, but they all seem to not like you basically telling them what to do and how to do it, how something should be thought about, etc. Others like Mr. Tougas and Mr. Schneider don't allow themselve to be tutored by you and in fact have told you in so many words I see that you really don't know what you're talking about in some debates here. I find all this interesting stuff. I'm not joining their ranks by any means but just wondering how you keep ending up on the same corner from time to time with a cross-variety of people. Very interesting. Thought I would just ask.
-Only The Shadow Knows...Y'know?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Quote:
On 2005-10-22 14:07, Backdoor wrote:... others try to meet you on the square intellectually, but they all seem to not like you basically telling them what to do and how to do it...

A few hints on basic issues here: Nobody but Mickey knows his mechanics or the limits of application of his mechanics. I take issue when folks presume access, knowlege or the right to announce the works or intentions of others.

In some of these threads you can see the same presumptions lead to same results. For different resltus try again with different presumptions. And consider PM if a message is directed to a person. Basic netiquette first. Then can work on tact with creatures who have feelings.

I'm sure folks know that ballet makes use of a semi-formal gesture language and that Slydini's work was at times going for something similar.
Charlie Justice
View Profile
Inner circle
Mount Dora, Florida
1142 Posts

Profile of Charlie Justice
Schcreeeesh.....schcreeeesh.....schcreeeesh.....
(wrapping my head with duct tape to contain the explosion)
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Jonathan you are wrong ,,,nobody knows Mickeys's mechanics The Godfather is the only one who knows all Mickey's mechanics and subilities.,..Others have said What mickey does can not be taght they are a,so wrong all his material vcan be taught...
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Al Schneider
View Profile
V.I.P.
A corn field in WI surrounded by
1080 Posts

Profile of Al Schneider
Charlie Justice
Plz send duct tape.
Ran out 100 posts ago.
Magic Al. Say it fast and it is magical.
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
See what I mean here Mr. Townsend...Three comments from three very different posters (all of which, like you, I very much respect) but all along the same lines I mentioned. Hmmmmmmmmm...Oh well, it is what it is I suppose. Onward!

***On another note here, I see that Mr. Silver's other post is approaching 10,000 hits...Absolutely amazing, when you see that Mr. Townsend as an Eternal Order user is only around 10,800 posts, which is more on this forum than nearly anyone else I've seen. Amazing?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27113 Posts

Mickey is doing a good job of attracting interest.
Backdoor
View Profile
Regular user
Bismark, ND
117 Posts

Profile of Backdoor
Yeah, I'd say so Mr. Townsend.

Wonder how he and Mr. Rubenstien are getting along? Must've made for an interesting time over there in Italy. Has anyone heard anything...Maybe Mr. Vinny about Mr. Silver over there??? I sure hope he and Mr. Rubenstien found some seeds of friendship to build upon. They are two Giants in my eye (albeit most apparently from different sides of the track) talented and both rather giving in their own special ways. Bet it was nice over there. Imagine being called upon to lecture and present your work all over the world. That's a long way from sitting here sometimes arguing over the darnest things. Hope Mr. Rubenstien posts a bit about his interactions with Mr. Silver (and vice versa). That would be most interesting, don't you think?
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Yes it would be exceedingly interesting, but probably out of character for both. Having had several non-Cafe e-mail conversations with Mr. Silver, and despite an obvious gift at self-promotion (a good quality in this business) I have found him to be genuine and an almost shy man. (Just my perception Vinny - no one knows him like you. Wouldn't want to wake up with a horse head next to me) Smile

As for Dr. Rubenstein, I have only received one Café PM from him. He appeared polite and well spoken, but I admit my assertion that it would be out of character for him is merely an educated guess.

Frank Tougas
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Frank you may be right LOL , As for MickeY I believe he is returning on the 27th or 29 of this month ,,,then we meet for the Dusheck lecture ,,
One thing bothers me, Mickey is the star of the show and receives no Gratis...
this to me makes no sense... he could almost command anything he wants but takes nothing ??????????????????????????????????????????

the godfather
Come check out my magic.

JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Star of which show Vinny?
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For starters JTW Lets take Italy, Without a doubt Mickey is the star attraction. People want to see if all this hype is true , about Mickey, I my self would not want to see some one pulling coins from their sleeves or doing some sort of coins across that evey one and ther mother does..
I want to see real magic that no one but Mickey does.....
weather you agree with me or not this is a fact...... Yes mickey is my close friend,,, however I would say this about anyone who can perfrom what he does..
Come check out my magic.

John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I just can't figure why Mickey Silver doesn't give a demo video so that we may all enjoy his excellence. I don't even care if he is willing to teach the method, I'd be willing to pay good money just to see great magical technique. I'm a lover of magic and if I'm fooled..so much the better! This seems tountamount to saying "I know the guy that that made the first intergallactic travel but...maybe you'll meet him..maybe ya won't". What really is the purpose of thes posts??
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Mickey has many different demo video's availible, and he has always graciously sent them out whenever asked, I don't know if this has changed but many have seen Mickey perform his unique coin magic!
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I feel unfortunate that I haven't caught any of his work. I'm sure my email requests for Mickey demos were one of many. But still..look at the name of this thread...should the title even exist without a sample? This forum is not supposed to be a medium of marketing or self promotion..or idol worship. We should all just say..."ok..Mickey is the greatest" and let it be or....someone(not mentioning any names) should supply us with something substantial to justify the title of this post. This idol trip down conjecture lane has been a waste of most peoples time...anyone concur?
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4283 Posts

Profile of Daegs
"should the title even exist without a sample?"

again, MANY PEOPLE on the Café have been sent the demo.

Just because the demo isn't an online clip that people could dissect over and over does not change the fact that it exist and has been seen by many....

If you don't want to go down any trips, then don't read through threads without seeing a demo first... I mean no one is forcing you to read the thread so I don't see how you can call it a waste of your time when you were the one who chose to waste it?
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
I'm not sure who you are talking to Daegs but I for one have jumped down the rabbit hole. If I wish to determine it a waste of time that is my perogative. If you have found something enlightening from this post then please share it with us..isn't that what this is all about. If you want mystery theatre..then there is a venue for that. And I also take offense to Vinny making light of those who pull coins from their sleeves...I'm sure Dai Vernon would take offense as well as Bobo himself. The nerve! Whatever entertains and maintains the axiom of magic is what should be done. Who is Vinny to tell anyone that sleeving is so passe?? Any slight..or misdirection done well can be pure magic. please..I implore anyone that reads to read the classics and learn how the real work is done. So much has been lost in mechanics, be thou a minupulator or performer....do it well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickeys retention the best on the planet (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL