The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickeys retention the best on the planet (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
fingerjack
View Profile
Special user
CT, USA
575 Posts

Profile of fingerjack
The old saying, “You get what you pay for,” isn’t always true, and Micky Silver’s video is a good example. I paid nothing and received in three days a wonderful video of a true artist. That is by far the best ROV pass I’ve ever seen. I’ve been sitting around trying to tighten mine up and it still looks like a ROV vanish and nothing like Micky’s which is as close to real magic as one can get without resorting to CG effects or a deal with the Devil. In fact, if you were to REALLY eat a bunch of coins, it wouldn’t look as good as that. What a teaser however; I really kept hoping Mickey was gonna spill the beans on the fine detail of his technique, but I can understand why he didn’t. I’ll be looking forward to however he chooses to release his method and count me in for a sale. I hope he makes a ton of money, it’s worth it. Thanks Mickey for sharing. Folks like you are few and far between.
MAGNAPALM - The World's first psionic magnetic implants that is changing the future of magic http://youtu.be/EDmg2bp_Cas

WASHED AND DRYED - An squeaky clean incredible full deck transformation!
http://fingerjack.wix.com/washedanddryed
magicmanr
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of magicmanr
My turn to chime in : I received Mickey's tape today, and couldn't wait to pop it in and watch it....All I can say is WOW! It's kind of redundant to repeat everyones sentiments about his ROV pass, but what else can you say? I mean, it's absolutely GORGEOUS! Watching it OVER and OVER...it's absolutely as close to perfection as I've ever seen....Really made me see just how bad mine looks in comparison! LOL...His coin to mouth is something to be seen..My 3 yr old daughter came running over to me saying "Daddy! He's eating the money!" I just looked at her and said "I know! I swear he really must be!" Mickey, thank you for sharing, my friend!

Ryan
Gene B
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA
193 Posts

Profile of Gene B
Does anyone have Mickey's e-mail so I can request the tape from him???

Thanks for your help!

Gene B
Gravity--It's not just a rule--It's the Law!
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Mickey can be located here on the Café
or pm me amd I will send you his E mail
Chris Berry
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Chris Berry
I got back from Orlando last night and what was waiting for me? The tape! I viewed it this morning and I was very pleased.

Mickey has practiced a LONG time and put his heart and soul in this move and it really shows. As far as not moving his fingers. If you watch closley you can pick up on why it seems that way.

Either way it did fool me a few times on the tape and he is a real master at it.

Should he release a DVD? I still give a big NO on that. If he wants dozens of magicians learning his technique and doing it poorly....or having someone else release a future project stealing his work. My suggestion is for him to write up a booklet and sell a hundred or so copies and leave it at that.

That way it's out there but not to the majority of the masses which will keep the handling "pure".

Chris
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Chris I have to disagree with you on releasing a DVD. here's why, first just because some one knows how a move is done does not me an that person can do the move or will ever be able to do the move . For example Ray Kosby on his video has an effect called raise rise ,in Rays hands this is a beautiful move . How many people do you think can do this move. It is very dificult,and takes many hours of practice, the same can be said about Mickeys rentention pass. another example the classic pass can take years to do correctly even though the move is simple.
this is my thought
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Mickey has asked for some helpful hints on how to get the word out about the things he has discovered. I read this thread with interest for that reason.

Certainly he has a phenominal execution of the move, but he also seems to understand what makes it work, and I think the art would benefit from his observations in that regard. There is much to be learned from the way he vanishes a coin, and what he does with that ability. That's two (count 'em, two) good reasons for him to publish his findings, IMHO.

Also, I dread the thought of trying to capture the essence of the move in print. Probably it should be done, but I'm not up to it. Consider how few people understood how good the original T.J. Crawford vanish looked based on the written description.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
What is the T.J. Crawford vanish?

Kirk

I agree, that if you want to limit it and hide it, print is the way to go. If you want to show it to the masses, video it is. If you want to preserve and really teach it, do both and have the best of both worlds.

I hope I am one of the lucky ones who gets the full treatment.

Kirk Grodske
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I finally got to see Mickey in action and the hype is
true. He's put a lot of time, thought, and practice into the retention and taken it to a whole new level.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
The Retention Vanish is one of my weak points with coins...I kind of "get by", as I vary it per the situation I'm in...

That said, David Roth has been my only source for working with coins, and (up til now) has been my AUTHORITY on the subject for years. That 3-vol. video set has always been what I refer to when "polishing up", so to speak...

Now, it seems I have a new challenge...to see what you guys are so excited about! A NEW method of ROV??? Ya really got my brain perked up on this one!

It seems I do a better SPONGE BALL ROV, than I do with coins...I'm not familiar with Mickey's work, but I'm in there with a request to see more!!!

Happy Holidays!

Doug
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Dougini

I think I can shed light on why you get a better ROV with sponge balls than coins. It takes no finger movement to hold a sponge ball, not so with coins. Also, you have to tilt a coin just so to create the ROV. If you closely watch in a mirror, you will see what I am talking about and by changing that, you will see improvement. Let me know how you make out.

Kirk
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Not sure if anyone mentioned this already but, Dougini, if you also perform the move very slowly in the mirror, like Kirk was saying, you will also see how you can accomplish it. By slowly speeding the motion you will be able to hit the move everytime with minimal finger movement.

-Bill
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Wow,

Thanks, guys...I see what you mean...that flash...OK, I'll work on that!

Doug
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Kirk,

As far as I know, T.J. Crawford's "Illusive vanish" is the first written description of this form of retention vanish. It is clear that he showed the move around, and finally submitted it to "Greater Magic." Off the top of my head, the history is a little murky, but I believe it also appeared in "Downs'" "Art of Magic" and/or Modern Coin Manipulation.

Mickey cites this as his starting point, and the source of his name for it, the "Illusive Retention Pass".

Nice bit of analysis there on the spongeball vs coin retention, I think you're quite correct there vis-a-vis getting the right angle on the "burn".
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
I remember meeting Micky at LVMI. And he personally grabbed me and few other magicians to the side and actually taught us the method to the retention vanish.

My thoughts were the same as everyone here, WOW, it was the best I seen. When he showed us the techique, it was as I figgured, he practiced the h**l out of it, and just modified some movements and position of the coin in his hand. In the end I feel that no one can do this vanish unless he practices the hell out of it. Just wanted to tell everyone here that it isn't really a new "way" of doing the vanish, no quicky, just pure hard ass practicing.

oh ya.. if you guys think doing one vanish is hard, try doing his coin production of 15 coins in less than 10 seconds. the human slot machine.

my hat off to Micky,

Tony C.
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
742 Posts

Profile of canaday
I've heard that he can do the slot machine with up to 26 coins!

Jim
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Just a point of reference. This is not the same "human slot machine" where single coins are vanished using the wand pull as a handle until on the last coin, there is a payoff of many coins.

I can't remember where I got that routine from. Most of my library is still in boxes.

Curtis, thanks for the location of the Crawford vanish. I will look it up.

Kirk
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Kirk that's a Sawa trick, published in an issue of Genii in 78.

Having published a retention pass for balls, it should be noted that there is a tradeoff on the angles needed to make the action look as if you let go of the ball into the other hand. Just getting a 'burn' from the basic timing is not quite enough.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MICKEY SILVER
View Profile
Elite user
Boston, Ma.
442 Posts

Profile of MICKEY SILVER
Hello everybody,
I really appriciate all the comments being made regarding my variation of the ILLUSIVE RETENTION VANISH.I would like to mention that I have decided to name this move the S.U.V. (the SILVER ULTIMATE VANISH)as suggested by my friend Danny Archer.
Curtis was correct when he stated, my starting point and extensive research went as far back to T.J.Crawford and his ILLUSIVE COIN PASS....HOWEVER, what sparked my interest in developing the S.U.V. was my absolute favorite coin MAGICIAN of all time..MR. DAVID ROTH.
Please note: The mechanics used in executing the S.U.V. are completly original and extremely different.
TRUE! a coin vanishes!..or does it? My initial goal in executing the move was to manipulate the spectators mind as opposed to just the coin. In doing both in an equal manner, brought me to believe this would create what appears to be real magic instead of just a coin trick.
I am presently putting together plans for a DVD regarding the Silver Ultimate Vanish, with all the intimate details.
Thank-You for your interest,
Mickey Silver
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
837 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Mickey,
Let me be the first to welcome you back on the forum. Haven't heard from ya in a while, but it's good to have you back. I look forward to talking to you again.

-Bill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickeys retention the best on the planet (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL