The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Awkward Moments during mentalism (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Willjhenderson
View Profile
New user
Asheville NC
5 Posts

Profile of Willjhenderson
Hey guys,

I have a couple questions about using mentalism for a stage show. I use mostly mentalism and a couple of illusions during my stage shows.

What can I do to reduce the awkward silent moments during a mentalism show?
Do you guys have any points on how to script a stage show, its hard for me because I don't know what kind of volunteers I will receive.
Silence during effects? Good or bad?
Any resources on scripting or patter?
Will Henderson
Illusionist. Speaker. Pastor.
Writer. Storyteller. Artist. Comedian.
www.illusionistwillhenderson.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10177 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Personality and comedy. Don't try to be too serious, but rather more non-threatening and playful. Also use production as it can add to the overall performance and impact of an effect.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
If it's Mentalism, watch the great performers.

See how they carry themselves.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Mikael
View Profile
New user
Bergen, Norway
56 Posts

Profile of Mikael
I always have a script for those moments. I don't necessarily use it word-by-word in every performance but I find it to be a great stafety net which I can then use to ad lib from. I would really recommend the book "Scripting Magic" as a resource for how to script your performances.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2285 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
I performed a corporate show a few years ago and was curious about one specific table in the audience. The rest of the audience was very vocal and applauded and laughed at all the right cues. This one table sat in silence the whole show. I just assumed that I wasn’t reaching them, somehow. But I couldn’t dwell on that, since I was performing for the whole room. But I kept glancing at that table, to see if anything impacted them. Stone silence.

At the end of the show, as I was tearing down my sound system and tables, a woman from that table walked over to the stage. I hadn’t done or said anything to indicate that they were less responsive than the rest of the audience, but they must have sensed that they were. She said, “I’m sorry that we didn’t react better to your show. But while the rest of the group was laughing and clapping, we were simply awestruck at what you were able to do. We couldn’t figure it out. It was the most amazing thing we’ve ever seen. I just wanted to let you know how much we really enjoyed watching you.”

I learned a great deal that day. Mentalism is an animal like no other. Don’t expect it to be received in the same manner as magic. And never underestimate the close, personal effect it will have on some in your audience. Spontaneous Applause: $10. Delighted Laughter: $20. Absolute Amazement: Priceless!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Willjhenderson
View Profile
New user
Asheville NC
5 Posts

Profile of Willjhenderson
Yea I have used music in the background to kinda kill some quiet moments. songs like "the final countdown" or the "eye of the tiger" makes a fun dance piece when doing a duct tape blindfold.

I have ran across the situation where people did not react but only just stood in awe of the effect. Then I had to beg for an applause. But yea thanks Mikael I will definitely check out that book.

I'm thinking about taking some improv classes to help me think on my feet more and incorporate that into my set.
Will Henderson
Illusionist. Speaker. Pastor.
Writer. Storyteller. Artist. Comedian.
www.illusionistwillhenderson.com
Mikael
View Profile
New user
Bergen, Norway
56 Posts

Profile of Mikael
If you're thinking about taking improv classes, you should also consider some acting classes, perhaps in the Meisner technique. Then you will learn how to be spontaneuos and at the same time being grounded and "heavy" on stage.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Great advice given.

And if you can, a song like the X Files theme, or a soft gregorian chant at the back keeps it all in the right mental 'atmosphere'.

Choose one that suits your persona, it's like your own Darth Vader theme. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Awkward Moments during mentalism (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL