The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Creative Magic by Adam Wilber (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1361 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Creative Magic – Learn To Spark You Creativity
By Adam Wilbur $34.99 152 pages

The Ad Copy : Creative Magic has the formula YOU need to kick start your Magic Creativity AND Career. This book is for the magician who wants to create magic and make money while doing it.

To be honest, the ad copy is MUCH longer. If you want to read it, head over to http://www.ellusionist.com/creative-magi......ber.html

I received the book on Monday and finished reading it last night so below is my review.
Ellusionist selling a book? That had me interested right away. The magic company mainly known for producing MTV like trailers for magic tricks and single trick DVDs is actually selling a book. If they never sell another book it won’t be because Creative Magic isn’t good.

The back of the book describes Adam Wilber as the manufacturing and project manager of ellusionist.com. In addition he’s also described as “one of the most creative and talented magicians on the planet.”

After the foreword, written by Peter McKinnon, Adam explains the layout of the book in the introduction. The book is split up into 3 sections: Pay the Bills, Just for Fun, and Concepts & Thoughts.

Pay the Bills: In this section Adam explains 10 close-up routines involving cards, earbuds, coins, and a Sharpie that he’s used for the last 10 years for paying audiences; hence the title “Pay the Bills.” There are quite a few good routines in this section, including Earbuds which is also sold as a download on Ellusionist. They also include 5 gaffs to get you started performing the trick. Additional gaffs are very easy to make. After Earbuds, I think my favorite routine is the World’s Easiest Coin Bend, where 2 signed coins bend in the spectator’s hand.

Just for Fun: In this section Adam explains effects that will require some set-up and arts & crafts time. Sealed Surprise is a pretty cool effect where a borrowed coin vanished from a shot glass and appears inside a sealed bottle of soda. Then the shot glass magically fills up with soda. It’s not something you’d perform for walk-around but in a formal show I could see this playing really well. Boxed In is probably my favorite in this section. A borrowed ring is placed in a small box. A card is then selected and signed. After a short ACR the signed card vanishes, only to reappear in the small box but now the ring is gone. The ring then appears INSIDE the deck. Yes, I typed that correctly; not inside the card box but inside the deck. There are some pretty cool routines in this section. It should be stated that while you will be able to make some of the gimmicks, you will also have to purchase some if you don’t already have them in order to perform some of the routines in this section.

Concepts & Thoughts: In the final section of the book the author, Alan Rorrison, Arvind Jayashankar, Brad Christian, Dan Harlan, Daniel Madison, David Regal, John Guastaferro, Marc Spelmann, and Peter McKinnon all share their thoughts on creativity. There are no tricks in this section. Instead you get a glimpse into the thought process of some of the most creative minds in magic. I thoroughly enjoyed reading how differently everyone thinks.

Creativity Exercises: Throughout the Pay the Bills section of the book, Adam has written “Creativity Exercises.” These exercises are different tasks intended to spark your creativity. I’m planning to try the 1st one out tonight. Personally, I’m looking forward to trying out each of the creativity exercises and think all magicians would benefit greatly from them. Heck, just reading the exercises had the gears in my head turning.

So, is Creative magic by Adam Wilber worth your hard-earned cash and time? In my opinion, yes. Aside from a couple small grammatical errors/misspellings Creative Magic is a great book. I didn’t buy it for the tricks (though I’m pleasantly surprised by a few of them and plan to perform them), I bought it to (to quote the book) “Learn to Spark Your Creativity.” In the age of $35 one-trick DVDs and new digital downloads every day, it’s refreshing to have a book come out that’s about more than just tricks. I also see this as a book I’ll be going back to time and time again; not just to look through the tricks but spark my creativity.

Adam, congrats on writing a great book. I hope it sells well for you.
And for you anti-ellusionist guys (I know there are a few of you) you can buy it directly from Adam is you prefer.
adamellusionist
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of adamellusionist
Thanks so much for the review! I'm absolutely thrilled that you enjoyed reading it.
-Adam
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4310 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I bought his "Workers part 1" from Ellusionists, very good stuff. A nice handling of Maxi-Twist. A great card to box. A very likable fellow, I really like his performance style. I'm a fan.
1031ent
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of 1031ent
Such a long ad.
Does it not state if the book is paper back or hard back?
Do we have a page count?
Adam Wood
View Profile
Loyal user
Ontario, Canada
225 Posts

Profile of Adam Wood
The book is softcover, for the page count see the first post! Smile
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” -Doug Henning

"Don't make magic impossible, make impossible magic!" - Adam

PEACE, LOVE & MAGIC!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Creative Magic by Adam Wilber (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL