The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bare Hand Snow Production (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Hi guys, Im looking for a new method for my snow dream illusion, to produce snow from empty hands (ie without the old tissue in water then using a fan). I honestly never liked the idea of having a tissue paper in the water then using a wind fan for the snow. It depends on the presentation but ive seen ALOT of presentations which there was no logic to it. I get the tissue part (where you dream of snow and use tissue paper), but what about the water ?!

Additionaly, I do not like the idea of the snow animator, it limits your movement in one place, and it is expensive, but that's just my opinion.

So I'm looking for any method to produce snow barehands. No tissue paper in water, no snow animator, etc.. I found the idea of having a snow blower device, but it still didn't fulfill my requirments as the climax of the illusion in my mind and the best part about it, should be the snow production from bare hands.

If you can guide me or know any method like so, then please advice me and thank you Smile Smile !
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
What is your budget for this effect?
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Quite frankly when Copperfield performed the snow storm illusion the chemical stuff he used although cool I did not like the hand positions and the long sleeve sweater. but that was just my take on it.

I personally love using the hand held fan method and has served me well for almost a decade now.

it really does come down to presentation.

but if you are determined to find a way no fan, no water, etc you are going to pay big bucks for what ever you get.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Mr. Anderson, well its not over $1000, I remember seeing magicians doing it even without sleeves and I don't think it was expensive....Im searching the forums trying to find it again. Im not asking for a way/illusion plan to be built for me specifically I'm sure there numerous simple methods out there (less expensive than my budget).

Sam Sandler I was inspired by Copperfield, but like I said, I never liked the fan-tissue-water routine, made no sense for me....And I honestly do not know/am not sure how did David Copperfield perform his version. Im not asking for a way/illusion plan to be built for me specifically I'm sure there numerous simple methods out there.
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Guys Ive done a litter research here on the Café, and I found out the name of the effect is Avalanche. But I cannot seem to find the link for it in order to buy it online. If anyone here can post the link for me I would really appreciate it. Its perfect and everything I want in the illusion:

1- Bare hands snow production
2- No fan/animator/blower required
3- Most realistic snow from the videos and photos (more believable than confetti)
4- Not a rip of, of David Copperfield/Kevin James version
5- Less expensive than the snow animator

I thought Id post this if anyone is interested, but I still cannot find the link for it online, Ive seen reviews on the Café here. But the links seem to have expired.
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
I believe that the avalanche system is no longer available.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1148 Posts

Profile of thomasR
The Kevin James Snow Animator is the real deal. If you want to perform the illusion... he is the creator and is a genius. You are paying for all of the thought that has gone into his prop when you buy his product.

Now I know what you are asking... you are wanting to do Snow the way Copperfield did it. The only thing that resembled that as far as I know is the Avalanche, which others have said is not available anymore as far as I know. I think there is a good reason.. I remember hearing some pretty negative comments about it. I've heard nothing but rave reviews about the Snow Animator.

Now personally... I use the good old fashioned way.. snow from bare hands with a hand fan. No one says you have to use the wet tissue... make up your own routine where you don't. Lots of options out there limited only to your imagination.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1723 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Thomas, I agree with your last comment.

Me too, I'm doing the Snowstorm but I don't use wet tissue paper getting transformed into the snowstorm. So I suggest to do the same and try to find your own way to do it. I'm using a hand held asian fan, but if I could afford to get one of Kevin James' Snow Animators, I would go for it. Unfortunatly I can't for the moment...

The german magician duo Ehrlich Brothers came out with their own version of the snowstorm using bare hands as David Copperfield... Don't try to contact them, because their product isn't for sale. By the way those guys have an amazing show with original illusions.

Good luck in your research,

Oliver.
Fábio DeRose
View Profile
Inner circle
San Paolo, Brasile
1477 Posts

Profile of Fábio DeRose
The audience doesn't mind wether if it is confetti or some chemical stuff. it all comes down to what you show them and how you make them feel.

Methods are supposed to be invisible.
Fábio De'Rose - Ilusionista
www.ENIGMAGICO.com.br

Twitter @Enigmagico
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have NEVER used water in my snowstorm routine...and I have always used a hand fan. My storyline (which is borrowed with permission from Kiki Tay) fits all the props perfectly and makes sense. Gets great reactions.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
The key to a good snow storm routine is having a good story that either the audience can relate to or is personal enough about you for them to be intrigued by the story.

with or with out water, with or with out a manual fan vs KJ animator it all comes down to presentation and story line.

while my original routine does use water my new star storm does not. and it does not use snow type load it using mini stars.
but the story and the routine make sense to produce the stars.

oh and the avalanche was horrible and was not even close to what Copperfield did. not to mention Copperfield had seven other special snow machines that filled the auditorium with snow.

good luck in what ever you decide. I can tell you this the best snow loads are made by SEO magic!

sam
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1223 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
For a hand fan, I agree with Sam about SEO, for an animator I'd use the Kevin James home made snow load.
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
Thank you all for your feedback and advices.

The key point that I wanted to have in this illusion is to have the snow being produced from barehands. I think it will matter a lot with me as a performer, this is an illusion I have always dreamed of doing. I really wish avalanche was still available, I will try 2 ask on a sepearate forum if anyone can help me in that.

Mr. Sam why do you say the Avalanche was horrible ? LOL I don't know the way that Copperfield did it with [and I don't wanna say my guess here so I don't accidently reveal anything] but the avalanche and DC's version looked exactly the same for me. Oh and about filling the stage with snow, I wanted to ask Mr.Sam, do you have to have these snow machines, or is there other ways to fill the stage with snow ?! For example having the confetti in the AC or ventilators (lol I have no experience this is my best pick).

Thank you all for your feedback Smile !
krille
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of krille
Some feedback on FX snowmachines used to fill the venue and stage.

This is expensive stuff! Considering you said the budget is no more than $1000.
The snow (foam) needs to be dry and in order to do so carfully choose the right fluid and machines for the venue size.

You need to talk to a professional FX company and get help with this. The snow machines sold for parties will not work for this as they produce a lowe quallity of wet foam.
MagicalFreak3
View Profile
Loyal user
222 Posts

Profile of MagicalFreak3
There goes my snow dream(literlly)... LOL Smile I dreamt to fill the stage with snow n thought that was easy X_X .... *siighhsss* everything is now pointing to the tissue/cup of water/fan way :/ ...
I wanted to have it ready for my show before december or so...I guess Im gonna have to use the fan/snow confetti way (i think its called Snowstorm In China)since its the easiest, and I won't get to nowhere Im dreaming of with that.

I have a question by the way....May I use a Snow Animator to produce snow form empty hands !? or do I have to have that Snow Confetti paper ?!

And thank you all soooo much for your feedback, you guys really have helped me. Thanks again everyone.
thomasR
View Profile
Inner circle
1148 Posts

Profile of thomasR
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 16:47, krille wrote:

You need to talk to a professional FX company and get help with this. The snow machines sold for parties will not work for this as they produce a lowe quallity of wet foam.

Yes. The little party machines will not work to "fill a venue." The mid level machines like the $250 ones could fill a small stage if you had 2 of them. But even then it's probably not going to be the effect you are looking for.

My personal opinion is once the theatre is filled with snow it becomes a special effect and not a magic trick. I've seen Copperfield do it and yes it was cool.. but it was like a Broadway effect cool.. not a "how did he do that" cool. I actually think the hand fan method can be the most amazing if staged and lit properly.
davidyeung1991
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of davidyeung1991
Well. there are product same as Copperfield snow effect.
it is call the perfect snow storm.
the price of the products is $3500 euros it is very expensive. I have talk to the inventor,
here is the reply

The prop is studied for a long life, and works with normal machine snow soap (very easy to find it in professional sound and lighting shops or disco effects ).

There is no refills, it is self-contained. Magician is on a flat platform (7cm.-80 cmx80cm.)that incorporates an electronic air system and in your body you only have a thin tub (with the small system to produce the snow). The platform incorporates a little spot light as well (battery) that illuminates your hands while you are producing the snow so hereby is justified it. It is activated via timer, so you can produce several times (for ex. 3 times maximum 20 seconds each time). The high of the snow production is 4-5 meters from your hands and is very quiet.

Best regards,

Xavier Giro

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C1UH5fhW0Q
davidyeung1991
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of davidyeung1991
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
That product is nothing like what Copperfield had
Copperfield did not use bubbles for snow.

his was a much different effect that used a chemical flake that dissolved the moment you touched it. it did not leave any residue.
the video you showed is using the standard snow machine suds effect and you can even see it building up on his hands.

I spoke to the company that produced the snow machines for Copperfield some time ago and they were like $7000 a piece and Copperfield had I think 6 of them for the sports arena he was performing in.

to be honest I will say it again I think the hand fan is the best way to go. and for your dream of filling the stage with snow - you absolutely can do that I do it every night in my show!

sam
krille
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of krille
Well, technically it is still foam bubbles but dry i.e no water content left. The "snow" consists of small hollow bubbles.

It takes special machines and most of all special fluid to produce the dry "flakes". They will make some residue but it is such a small amount that it will feel like it disappears.

I totally agree with the statement that "hand fan is the best way to go".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Bare Hand Snow Production (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL