The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Good or bad? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
So I hit a festival today, showed about 10:30 and worked until just after 7pm. I had a lot of fun for most of the day (though the only thing that hurts worse than my back is my feet) and I brought in around 78 bux. I took more breaks to talk to people than I should have and missed several good opportunity's to start a show, but overall I think I did alright. however, from what I've heard, a lot of you more than easily pull in that much in an hour.

the only thing I regret was my last show, I only had a guy and his daughter watching until this group of kids (who had seen the show like 10-12 times) came over, most of them were okay, but one of them, who had seen my cups and balls routine way more times than I would recommend, wouldn't shut up with the useful comments like "i know where the ball is, open that hand, he just put one under the cup" so on and so forth, anyway after about the 4th comment I turned to him and said "either shut up or leave, thank you". and then of course when I made the first mistake it lead to the second, my hand hit the cup and revealed the mystical ball that should not exist. I said "well, that's the end of that" I packed up and left.

clearly I could have handled the situation better. the kid found me as I was walking to my car and apologized, to which I apologized for over-reacting, but I was really more upset about the impression I made on the man and his daughter. but, at least I wont (or shouldn't) end a show like that again.

aside from that I had a lot of fun, and I'm 79 bux richer

so I guess it was a good day that ended bad.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
921 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Hey, it could be worse. My first day I made $36. Festivals are tricky, some festivals I can make an obscene amount of money, hourly wages I won't even admit to, other days are like your day today. I do usually leave most festivals when the big rush dies down about 1 hour before closing.

The money will come with experience and better hat lines. For sure. keep at it, it will get better.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
The festival was set to end at 8, I was gonna stick around till the end but the crowd was definitely dying so I would have probably just been wasting time for the last hour. I think I've pretty much found my rule for the festivals though, at least around here, show up an hour late and leave an hour early.

they had the vendors out the night before as well from 5-10 and I showed up about 5, only to wait around nearly an hour while all the vendors (who were supposed to start setting up at 3:30) got set up. seeing as I was crashing the festival anyway without having permission to be there I wanted to wait until all the vendors were in their place so I could avoid accidentally setting up where somebody had payed to be. plus the crowd was nearly non-existent for that first hour.
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Gary T,

There are days, and then there are days. Getting busted on a trick by a punk is all part of the business. It used to irritate me until I understood that I was the one making the mistake of flashing, and I was either lazy, tired, or both. I still flash occasionally, because you will if someone knows where to look and they've watched your show a couple, three times. So what?!? Now, I say something like: "I'm not doing the show for you, I'm doing it for them, they're going to tip me," or anything along those lines to both acknowledge the buster and let him know you don't care. As for knocking your cup over, well, knock it over a few times and you'll get used to it and come up with some lines and an out or two. Or, just keep going. No one on the other side of your table knows what you're going to do next. Just take it in stride and move right along.

Just my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
921 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
The part about getting busted on a trick pretty much never happens anymore. It used to though. The biggest thing for me was flashing a ball during cups and balls. Especially if it is my first set of the day. I might flash or just hold my hand awkward while FP a ball.

What does happen sometimes is:

1. Loading final loads in cup, lemon is turned sideways doesn't go in. When I set the cup down, it is visible and all tilted.

2. After loading melon in hat the melon rolls, the wind blows the hat, or I even have knocked it off by accident when moving the cups.

How I handle this:

1. The first rule of show business "The show must go on," continue like nothing is amiss. If the cup is just slightly tilted, ignore it and when you go to do the hat bit and slide the cups out of the way, push it down a bit.

If the melon load is revealed early, well that has only happened twice. I just pushed the hat back over and said, "Ssshhhh" putting my finger to my lips. The crowd laughs and you still reveal it at the end.

Once I did drop the melon as I was loading it, I bent down with it picked it up off the ground and loaded it into the hat and set it on the table like nothing happened. Only one person, a guy who was just walking up, saw it.

Now, about the people that try to spoil the show. How I handle this depends on which type they are. If it is a kid who has watched the show 5 times and is just play by playing it, telling them what is happening next, I point out that everyone else hasn't seen it yet, please let them enjoy it. Usually parents take them away or make them be quiet. If they stay sometimes they are guilty and tip you again, bigger.

If it is a regular !@#$%^&, then I handle this differently. You see usually this person is seeking attention. It is subconscious mostly. So I ask his/her name, usually a him, and ask for his help. I then get the audience to give him/her a round of applause, and continue the trick with that person my assistant. You will likely see this advice all over the place but it is spot on. By making him the center of attention he no longer wants you to fail because then he fails too so he shuts up and helps. So far I have never had this not work. Most people aren't used to standing up in front of 50 or 100 people and it makes them nervous.

With the kid in your show, what I tend to do with people like that is just continue on and pretend I don't hear them. Don't look at them, don't change pace, pretend they do not exist. What happens here usually is that the crowd ignores him to. No one replies to him and he starts to feel like an idiot. Especially if you keep going and the rest of the crowd laughs, applauds, etc. I had a similar situation a long time ago. I was using the linking rings and doing the Whit Hayden teaching act. The crowd was a big group, a church group or something about 30-40. I have this one kid in the circle with me and we are doing the act and this one guy says, "Let me have your rings", "I want to try with those!" I never looked at him, I just kept going, the group he was with was laughing at the jokes and no one paid him any attention, he suddenly got real quiet.

You have to remember that when you are doing a show you are in charge. Really in charge. People look where you want them to, see what you want them to, etc. If you ignore something they ignore it. As an example try this sometime:
1. Stop a small crowd with a silk vanish using a TT. After they are there start talking to them about something. Where they are from, the weather, whatever, just anything but the magic trick you are doing. Now while doing this never look down and continue to do the silk vanish over and over. I would be willing to bet that no one ever sees you do the trick. Now think of how powerful that is when doing other stuff...

When you do the cups the balls, your rope trick, Ambitious card (My first sleight is a Pass to bring the card to the top for the first time) always be making eye contact with your audience, never ever, look at what you are doing, especially if you are doing dirty stuff. My classic is good, I wouldn't say it's invisible, but it is fast and clean. If I can do a silk vanish 5 times while talking to people and they don't even realize I am doing trick how easy do you think it is to do a classic pass that happens in a split second and get away with it. You should see the looks of amazement on peoples faces when they first see their card on top of the deck. The reaction is always, "You didn't even do anything, the cards never moved!" and stunned amazement.

Now there are times when you want to LOOK at somewhere to call the audiences attention to it. For example, you are showing a dirty hand using Ramsey FP display. You look at the hand because then they will look and see it empty, because you called attention to it they will remember it. This is important because you are "subtly" showing a dirty hand clean.

I think you may want work specifically on your cup loads though, and maybe FP a ball to make you hand look more natural. Stand with your hands relaxed at your sides, naturally and get someone to take a picture of you. Also, USE A WAND. It will cover the worst palms in the world.

Hope you got something out of this overly long winded post. Gotta go put some chicken in the oven, later.
Gary T.
View Profile
Veteran user
375 Posts

Profile of Gary T.
Thanks gr8, I could probably use some work with my cup loads, I hadn't practiced my cups and balls in well over a month before I went out the other day and I recon I was a bit rusty as well, but the kid saw the show at least 10 times, the first 4 or 5 he was amazed, the last 5 or 6 he was just trying to figure it out. not to blame him, but eventually after that many shows you're bound to figure out something.
DanielMooncalf
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
113 Posts

Profile of DanielMooncalf
If the kids see it, so do the adults...

But that said, just tell the kid to shut up... or try not to give away the secret... or "Yes, I know. You don't have to tell me how the trick works." or any number of other heckler lines. Just a simple "shut up, kid" will work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Good or bad? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL