The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What will it matter??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 02:25, acesover wrote:

Could be that most federal employees don't work on Sundays anyway. Smile

Yes, but if any Federal Holiday falls on a Sunday, the employees get the following Monday off. Not so with Easter.

Quote:

Also just to inform you most malls are closed on Easter Sunday and they are not usually closed on Sundays.

Not around here. Everything is open regular hours on Easter.

Quote:

However Easter is definitely a mostly religious holiday. So Jews, Muslims and atheists don't figure into the equation so not as big a holiday as some of the others for those groups.

Which is why it is a minor holiday. I know Jews, Muslims and Atheists that celebrate Christmas (and Cinco de Mayo). But none of them celebrate Easter, apart from biting the ears off of a chocolate bunny.

Quote:
Also lets not forget the New York Easter parade. Just saying.

Never heard of it. I knew the Whitehouse still had an Easter Egg roll. But was unaware that the Big Apple had an Easter Parade. Probably an East Coast thing.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 01:41, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 13:26, acesover wrote:

Yeah Easter is a minor holiday.

Well, it isn't a recognized Federal Holiday.

Not in YOUR federation, you mean. In MY federation, Good Friday and Easter Monday are both statutory holidays. See the thread on "No Vacation Nation".

Quote:
Unlike Christmas, Thanksgiving and Halloween, it really doesn't have a secular celebratory side. So apart from the occasional Easter egg hunt or gifting of a chocolate bunny it goes uncelebrated by those not of the Christian belief system. Unlike Halloween you don't see special stores open up that sell Easter supplies and decorations. There aren't big Easter Day Sales, Easter Tree lots or fireworks stands don't start springing up as the day approaches. So compared to Xmas, Halloween, The 4th of July, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day it is a minor holiday.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 04:30, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 02:25, acesover wrote:

Could be that most federal employees don't work on Sundays anyway. Smile

Yes, but if any Federal Holiday falls on a Sunday, the employees get the following Monday off. Not so with Easter.

Quote:

Also just to inform you most malls are closed on Easter Sunday and they are not usually closed on Sundays.

Not around here. Everything is open regular hours on Easter.

Quote:

However Easter is definitely a mostly religious holiday. So Jews, Muslims and atheists don't figure into the equation so not as big a holiday as some of the others for those groups.

Which is why it is a minor holiday. I know Jews, Muslims and Atheists that celebrate Christmas (and Cinco de Mayo). But none of them celebrate Easter, apart from biting the ears off of a chocolate bunny.

Quote:

Never heard of it. I knew the Whitehouse still had an Easter Egg roll. But was unaware that the Big Apple had an Easter Parade. Probably an East Coast thing.

I don't believe fathers day or mothers day is a federal holiday either. All stores usually keep regular hours. In fact mothers day is the busiest day of the year for restaurants. Just great for those mothers who are waitresses. Smile

Besides being a federal holiday or not does not make it something major or minor. I believe Martin Luther King Day is a federal holiday and not that many people celebrate it as compared to Easter. We can go on and on but I don't know why. Lets just say it is a Christian big deal and leave it go at that. No one else cares about it but us Christians. So if I ever see you on Easter and say to you "Happy Easter" I apologize in advance.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:

But was unaware that the Big Apple had an Easter Parade. Probably an East Coast thing.

You never saw the classic film "Easter Parade" with Fred Astaire and Judy Garland, based on the Irving Berlin song? You're kidding, right?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040308/‎

You know the one- "...On the avenue, Fifth Avenue, the photographers will snap us and you'll find that you're in the Roto Gravure.

I could write a sonnet, about your Easter Bonnet, and of the girl I'm taking to the Easter Parade."

Everybody sing!

:eek:
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3465 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
But was unaware that the Big Apple had an Easter Parade. Probably an East Coast thing.

Most everything that happens in New York qualifies as an East Coast thing.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

And, Payne- Easter parades are held all over the country- even in Seattle where we live!

http://seattletimes.com/html/outdoors/2014824346_nwwegg21.html‎
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:

Quote:
Acesover wrote:

"The Easter parade is most closely associated with Fifth Avenue in New York City ... Starting as a spontaneous event in the 1870s, the New York parade became increasingly popular into the mid-20th century—in 1947, it was estimated to draw over a million people. Its popularity has declined significantly, drawing only 30,000 in 2008."

Here is some advertising for the parade in 2013:

"Join hundreds of New Yorkers on Easter Sunday, March 31, 2013, for a grand Easter parade down Fifth Avenue from 44th Street to 57th Street."

http://manhattan.about.com/od/eventsanda......enyc.htm

Hundreds. Payne, no wonder you never heard about it. Smile

The NY City Easter Parade, btw, is today far from a religious celebration. It is about fashion as much as anything. The parade is mostly made up of people wearing funny hats or costumes who decide to walk in the street.

FWIW, for several years NY City has also had a Cinco de Mayo day parade. I wonder which NYC parade is larger, today?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

New York's Easter Parade has always (at least as long as I can remember) been primarily about fashion.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 11:36, mastermindreader wrote:
New York's Easter Parade has always (at least as long as I can remember) been primarily about fashion.

Yes, yes I agree. See we think alike. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Yes- But I think I've milked this Easter schtick for all it's worth, so here's hoping that eventually we'll find something else we agree upon.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:

Theynshould keep the true and miraculous meaning of the holiday in mind. An invisible, egg-laying rabbit!
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-06-19 12:07, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:

Theynshould keep the true and miraculous meaning of the holiday in mind. An invisible, egg-laying rabbit!

And why hasn't anyone picked up on the latest scandal - the administration's war on Easter? (We've sold the holiday out to the Chinese. Proof? Egg rolls at the White House on Easter Sunday!)
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 12:07, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes- But I think I've milked this Easter schtick for all it's worth, so here's hoping that eventually we'll find something else we agree upon.

I am sure we will. Who knows we may even find something we do not agree on. Smile

This reminds me of the commercial when the one guy keeps telling the other after an accident and finding out they both have the same insurance, that they are connected and the guy keeps saying, "no we're not".
R.S.
View Profile
Regular user
CT one day I'll have
188 Posts

Profile of R.S.
Quote:
Quote:

I thought Easter was when Jesus comes out and if he sees his shadow that means there's 6 more weeks of winter.

Ron
:)
"It is error only, and not truth, that shrinks from inquiry." Thomas Paine
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
4 more weeks og lent.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 18:11, R.S. wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I thought Easter was when Jesus comes out and if he sees his shadow that means there's 6 more weeks of winter.

Ron
:)

Hope you did not believe that. That was just an old wives tale.

It was really when Jesus was crucified died and was buried and rose on the third day according to scriptures so that mans sins could be forgiven. But it is more involved than that. You really have to read the book to understand the real meaning. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I had a car die in front of a church on Good Friday. I waited till Sunday but nothing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-20 00:15, Dannydoyle wrote:
I had a car die in front of a church on Good Friday. I waited till Sunday but nothing.

Did you stay in the car the whole time? Smile
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

You forgot to put your car on the lift.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 09:12, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 01:41, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 13:26, acesover wrote:

Yeah Easter is a minor holiday.

Well, it isn't a recognized Federal Holiday.

Not in YOUR federation, you mean. In MY federation, Good Friday and Easter Monday are both statutory holidays. See the thread on "No Vacation Nation".

Quote:
Unlike Christmas, Thanksgiving and Halloween, it really doesn't have a secular celebratory side. So apart from the occasional Easter egg hunt or gifting of a chocolate bunny it goes uncelebrated by those not of the Christian belief system. Unlike Halloween you don't see special stores open up that sell Easter supplies and decorations. There aren't big Easter Day Sales, Easter Tree lots or fireworks stands don't start springing up as the day approaches. So compared to Xmas, Halloween, The 4th of July, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day it is a minor holiday.

Same here in Australia - it's the only 4 day holiday of the year. Very few people work especially on Good Friday when only people who deliver essential services work. Alcohol sales are also prohibited from midnight till midnight (on Friday).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What will it matter??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL