The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What will it matter??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
The only time I see republicans trying to be inclusive is after they get trounced in an election, but their memories are pretty short. I mean just look at the original question. The OP has such little contact with anyone outside their own race that they can honestly wonder if Hispanic Americans don't celebrate the 4th of July. How do you become inclusive when you are isolated from anyone outside your own culture
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The Chinese people wanted to become citizens so they could vote.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Mexico has strong laws against mixing the affairs of state with that of the church, with much more popular support for the separation of church and state than the United States.

This has been true since the revolution, in spite of the power, and in opposition often to the wishes of the Roman Catholic church.

By the way, I live in an predominately hispanic/asian area here in the city of Los Angeles and they started celebrating the 4th last week. It is a big deal here.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Same where I live, Pop, where there is a very large Mexican population. In fact, about half of my neighbors are Mexican and we usually all celebrate the 4th together. Not only fireworks but pinatas too!
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I think that it will be cool to have whites as a minority! They will get to have affirmative action because they will be an underrepresented group in areas of
employment, education, and business. That will mean promotions even if they are not the best person for the job and help with education and all the cool things that comes with affirmative action.

I say, welcome everyone and anybody! Get rid of the reps and let the dems rule, I for one, think that hand outs would be great!
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"They will get to have affirmative action because they will be an underrepresented group in areas of
employment, education, and business."

Sure, all we need for that to happen is to be indentured slaves for a few hundred years, blocked from voting for a few hundred years, kept from being able to live in better areas with better schools, lynched a few hundred/thousand times, given syphilis and having it left untreated so we can examine it for medical purposes....can't wait!
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Affirmative action was based on the fact that there was a long history of discrimination, NOT simply because African Americans were "under represented."

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 12:24, Al Angello wrote:
Do I really have to define inclusion for you? The governor of Louisiana says that they have to stop being the stupid party. There are very few young, Latino, gay, Asian, union, black, and female republican voters. You are not going to be relevant with only the rich white man's vote.

Your definition seems circular.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
There was (is, if you'd rather) a long history of discrimination against Asian Americans in the USA; however, until the ban on affirmative action with respect to college admissions, Asian American students were discriminated against as a result of their disproportionate academic success, as a group.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Lobo
My answer may be hard for you to swallow, but it is simple to understand.

Republicans will be less likely get elected in the future if there are fewer of them every year.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Clearly. However, fewer Republican voters doesn't mean that they're not inclusive.

Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Tell that to all the disenfranchised minorities who register democratic.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It will be like Cowboys and Indians again, only this time you will be the Indians.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
" Asian American students were discriminated against as a result of their disproportionate academic success, as a group.
'

I'm not saying you are wrong but do you have any evidence that this took place?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Yes he does have some evidence. His statement is evidence ..... his evidence might be hearsay or something though.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Heresay is not evidence.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 11:22, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 09:27, acesover wrote:
Payne,

While I do not disagree with what you say I have to wonder how much change will take place. Such as...will the fourth of July still be as important as it was in the past? Will Cinco di Mayo become a very important holiday here in the U.S.? What will the political outlook be let us say towards God in schools, and abortion laws? Will religious statues become the norm in households again? Will the Latino community bring their religion (Catholism) along with them? I believe most Latinos are catholics but I am not sure. It seems to be that most seem deeply religious. Will they bring God in the schools, in the public buildings etc?

So many issues come into play with different cultures. That is why I asked the questions. Just wondering what others believe will happen.

If things continue along as they are now I am just curious as to how much change will come in say 25 years or even 50 years in this country. Where is the government headed? Will the Latino population end up electing people who think and believe as they do?

Just saying change will take place gradually is not really seeing what will be taking place and how difficult will the transition be? Will it be smooth or will it be a rocky bumpy trip?

At the moment Hispanics nearly out number Caucasians in California. Yet California ranks 35 in states whose residents say that Religion is very important in their lives. Far below the national average. So I really don't see the US returning to the bad old days of state-sanctioned Prayer in schools and restricted reproductive rights. We will still have a constitution and the ACLU will still be there to safeguard it and keep us safe from the tyranny of the majority.

It has been my experience that Catholics are far less likely to try to force others to become adherents to their faith through legislation. So I think America is less likely to become a Religious state under a Catholic majority than it is when Protestants are in control.

Besides, like most other groups, religion is declining amongst Latinos. http://blog.chron.com/sacredduty/2011/08......o-blame/ As they become assimilated in the materialistic culture of the United States. Their belief in the importance of such things begins to fall away. So I think we're pretty safe from becoming a theocracy at the moment.

What is the average age of the Hispanic population in Calif? In fact average age is not the right question. It is actually how many Hispanics are adults in Calif? If it is mostly children that make up the population and sway the percentages it is flawed information. By children I mean still in grade school and younger. Because I am sure the polls do not include the children in grade school and lower but may well be included when saying the population is a certain percentage.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 11:29, Al Angello wrote:
Payne
The Catholic church is crumbling and will never speak with one voice again.

An you know this how?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 11:21, Al Angello wrote:
After a couple more landslide elections the republican party will be forced to become a party of inclusive or face certain extinction. This is a no brainer I'm betting on inclusion.

Ha, ha. Don't count your chickens before they are hatched. One never knows what will happen.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 12:30, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-17 09:27, acesover wrote:

What will the political outlook be let us say towards God in schools, and abortion laws? Will religious statues become the norm in households again? Will the Latino community bring their religion (Catholism) along with them? I believe most Latinos are catholics but I am not sure. It seems to be that most seem deeply religious. Will they bring God in the schools, in the public buildings etc?

I have no answers and I am not saying it is quite the same ... but you may want to read some about Quebec. It was probably once among the most religious of provinces or states in Canada or the United States. "Religion and public demonstrations of faith have been [were?] an essential aspect of Québec society" for centuries.

In 1960, nearly 90% of Quebeckers were Roman Catholic. Today, the figure is still high and something like 83%.

Still, the vast majority of Quebeckers today support gay marriage, euthanasia, abortion rights, social programs supported by high rates of taxation (e.g. nearly free daycare, rock bottom university tuition rates, government run healthcare), etc.

It is very possible that the Latino community will evolve in the same way as Quebeckers did, if they are not already doing so.

Anything is possible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What will it matter??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL