The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What will it matter??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 14:13, Dannydoyle wrote:
I knew the spirit of what Payne was trying to say. I didn't see the need to go after him for Easter.

I don't know Danny. Here is his quote. "Neither is St. Patrick's Day and Easter. But each of those holidays have a small dedicated following in small pockets of population around the country."

Just what did you feel he was trying to say? To me it was obvious that Easter was depicted by him as a minor holiday with a small dedicated following. What did I miss?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 14:49, acesover wrote:
Quote:
I knew the spirit of what Payne was trying to say. I didn't see the need to go after him for Easter.

I don't know Danny. Here is his quote. "Neither is St. Patrick's Day and Easter. But each of those holidays have a small dedicated following in small pockets of population around the country."

Just what did you feel he was trying to say? To me it was obvious that Easter was depicted by him as a minor holiday with a small dedicated following. What did I miss?

Payne's wicked sense of irony and love of provocation.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 14:54, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 14:49, acesover wrote:
Quote:

Payne's wicked sense of irony and love of provocation.

So I was right then when I said: Your atheism is showing. Smile with the smiley face, because of my wicked sense of irony and love of provocation.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I don't know. I think we assume things and look for reasons to jump all over every word.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Yes, Danny, there are a lot of unwarranted assumptions made regularly here.

Acesover- Since we rarely agree on anything, I thought I'd jump in a support your assertion that Easter is indeed the most significant holiday in Christendom. (Though St. Patrick's day was originally a religious holiday too, though primarily in Ireland.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have to say in America it pales in comparison to Christmas celebratios. I am not speaking of its importance in the faith but in how it shows.

Go to Mexico or Spain during Semana Santa. The difference is astonishing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Agreed. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that Christmas is as much of a popular/commercial holiday as it is a religious one.

But, as you noted, among the faithful Easter is the highest of holy days.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 00:10, acesover wrote:

Slide wrote earlier: Cinco di Mayo is already an important holiday here (here meaning the U.S.).

No it isn't. Most people here in the U.S. have no idea what it is other than May 5th.

I agree it is not an "important" holiday for the vast majority of people (neither is St Patrick's Day). But I think it is more "popular" and much better known than you give it credit for being. No, I am not saying it is as popular or well known as Easter. Not even close so far as that goes.

Here's a Q for y'all ... which (do you believe) is more popular and better known in the U.S., Cinco de Mayo or Kwanzaa?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well since Kwanza was sort of invented out of whole cloth who knows? Smile
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I put the smiley face intentionally. I never do that but didn't want to be misunderstood.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Cinco de Mayo is a major celebration around here Kwaanza, not so much.

And contrary to an assertion made earlier in this thread, everyone I know knows exactly what the holiday commemorates. But, then again, I live in a very diverse community where all cultures are celebrated.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 15:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
Go to Mexico during Cinco de Mayo. The difference is astonishing. Or at least it was last time I was in Mexico many years ago.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Cinco de Mayo is quite minor compared to Mexican Independence Day.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
I never heard of Kwaanza till now. Will have to look it up.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
My birthday is May 31 and we always celebrated it on Memorial Day. My parents always told me that the parades were for me. What a let down when I found out the truth on my 40th birthday. Smile
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 15:33, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes, Danny, there are a lot of unwarranted assumptions made regularly here.

Acesover- Since we rarely agree on anything, I thought I'd jump in a support your assertion that Easter is indeed the most significant holiday in Christendom. (Though St. Patrick's day was originally a religious holiday too, though primarily in Ireland.)

Ha, ha Bob. Thanks. Now if I can only find something to support you. You make it so difficult. It is just that when I see your Avatar and a post all kinds of alarms and bells and whistles and sirens go off. Then I read your post. Kidding. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 17:43, Tom Cutts wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 15:41, Dannydoyle wrote:
Go to Mexico during Cinco de Mayo. The difference is astonishing. Or at least it was last time I was in Mexico many years ago.

Cinco de Mayo is nothing compared to Semana Santa. Not even close. Not even close to mid September for Independence Day.

Then again that really wasn't the point.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 16:39, Dannydoyle wrote:
Well since Kwanza was sort of invented out of whole cloth who knows? Smile

All Holidays were, at one time were "Invented out of Whole Cloth". It's just after a Century or two, with proper marketing, they become ancient traditions.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 13:26, acesover wrote:

Yeah Easter is a minor holiday.

Well, it isn't a recognized Federal Holiday. Unlike Christmas, Thanksgiving and Halloween, it really doesn't have a secular celebratory side. So apart from the occasional Easter egg hunt or gifting of a chocolate bunny it goes uncelebrated by those not of the Christian belief system. Unlike Halloween you don't see special stores open up that sell Easter supplies and decorations. There aren't big Easter Day Sales, Easter Tree lots or fireworks stands don't start springing up as the day approaches. So compared to Xmas, Halloween, The 4th of July, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day it is a minor holiday.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-06-19 01:41, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 13:26, acesover wrote:

Yeah Easter is a minor holiday.

Well, it isn't a recognized Federal Holiday. Unlike Christmas, Thanksgiving and Halloween, it really doesn't have a secular celebratory side. So apart from the occasional Easter egg hunt or gifting of a chocolate bunny it goes uncelebrated by those not of the Christian belief system. Unlike Halloween you don't see special stores open up that sell Easter supplies and decorations. There aren't big Easter Day Sales, Easter Tree lots or fireworks stands don't start springing up as the day approaches. So compared to Xmas, Halloween, The 4th of July, Fathers Day, Mothers Day, Memorial Day and Labor Day it is a minor holiday.

Could be that most federal employees don't work on Sundays anyway. Smile Also just to inform you most malls are closed on Easter Sunday and they are not usually closed on Sundays.

However Easter is definitely a mostly religious holiday. So Jews, Muslims and atheists don't figure into the equation so not as big a holiday as some of the others for those groups.

If it makes you happy than don't consider it a major holiday. But if you do. Don't expect the Easter Buddy to bring you any candy.

Also lets not forget the New York Easter parade. Just saying.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What will it matter??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL