The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » T.V. License non-payment excuses. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
570 Posts

Profile of Circusman
Thought you guy's might like this.

The T.V. licensing authority today released details of excuses they've received by people who have failed to buy a t.v. license - and got caught.
Here are two of them :

One person didn't think they needed to buy a license because they reckon their dog is related to one of the queen's corgi's !!!

Another guy didn't need a license because his T.V. is a stolen one !!!

It's a great world eh ? LOL !
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 04:08, Circusman wrote:

It's a great world eh ? LOL !

Yeah? Try living in a country where you have to watch TV without a license. Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Please don't give our wacky government another way to tax it's people.
Dennis Michael
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3893 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
I don't mind paying for the BBC.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2704 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Good for you. I don't mind paying for my VIOS, but I can get an antenna and watch over the air if I want to.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 07:58, Dennis Michael wrote:

Goodness knows the wacky government is out of control if it is asking users to pay for the "free" services / entitlements it provides to them.

;)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 11:48, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 07:58, Dennis Michael wrote:

Goodness knows the wacky government is out of control if it is asking users to pay for the "free" services / entitlements it provides to them.

;)
Nah, that's not the government- it's the private cable and satellite companies that contract with them.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 12:04, EsnRedshirt wrote:

Nah, that's not the government- it's the private cable and satellite companies that contract with them.

Not sure I understand your post, considering:

"The licence fee is used almost entirely to fund the BBC's domestic radio, television and internet services. The money received from the fee represents approximately 75% of the cost of these services with most of the remainder coming from the profits of BBC Worldwide"

"The BBC is a semi-autonomous public service broadcaster[6] that operates under a Royal Charter and a Licence and Agreement from the Home Secretary. Within the United Kingdom its work is funded principally by an annual television licence fee, which is charged to all British households, companies and organisations using any type of equipment to receive live television broadcasts;[10] the level of the fee is set annually by the British Government and agreed by Parliament."
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1650 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Every time the inspectors call to my door I give the same reason (not excuse). I am an atheist and I will not pay a licence if it goes to a service that broadcasts a daily call to prayer. In Ireland our national broadcaster rings the angulus bells twice a day, so I don't pay.

Every time I am told I will be prosecuted, but so far they have not had the courage to try it. I would love my day in court over this.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3893 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 09:23, ed rhodes wrote:
Good for you. I don't mind paying for my VIOS, but I can get an antenna and watch over the air if I want to.

That's great, Ed.

The BBC broadcasts 4 television channels of original output, in addition to a 24 hr live news channel. They broadcast 6+ radio stations, of very superior quality. Amongst other things you may have heard of, the BBC commissioned Monty Python's Flying Circus. The BBC is a much loved national institution, commissioning and producing original, award winning output. There is no real equivalent in any other country.

There is no advertising on the BBC. None.

That is what we pay the license fee for. And if you don't own a TV, then the radio is free of charge.

Tell me again about VIOS.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Is that in addition to, or instead of, advertisement-sponsored options?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3893 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Technically, they aren't meant to place products. To the best of my knowledge, Lobo, there are no advertisement options available for the BBC, or "Auntie" as some of us call it.

If anyone ever watched David Attenborough, he is also a BBC phenomenon, as is Blackadder, etc. etc.

Incidentally, Attenborough was controller of BBC2 [television] before he made the documentaries.

I am not an unreserved fan of the BBC, but as I said initially, I am happy to pay the fee; I use it a huge amount.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3893 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Oh, and they also provide live, ball-by-ball radio coverage of any international cricket match in which England are involved; it's a little programme called Test Match Special.

Glorious. (And with no adverts.)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1189 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 20:12, tomsk192 wrote:
Technically, they aren't meant to place products. To the best of my knowledge, Lobo, there are no advertisement options available for the BBC, or "Auntie" as some of us call it.

If anyone ever watched David Attenborough, he is also a BBC phenomenon, as is Blackadder, etc. etc.

Incidentally, Attenborough was controller of BBC2 [television] before he made the documentaries.

I am not an unreserved fan of the BBC, but as I said initially, I am happy to pay the fee; I use it a huge amount.

Probably phrased it badly...what I meant was, is there non-BBC television, as well? Excuse my ignorance.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3893 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yes, there certainly is. We now have gazillions of channels. Even before the availability of Sky, or cable type services, there have been commercial and semi-commercial channels broadcasting.

Which does beg the question re: license fees, I know.

But then again, we have a notional monarch, and apparently make a profit out of it. Who knew?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 21:24, tomsk192 wrote:

Yes, there certainly is. We now have gazillions of channels. Even before the availability of Sky, or cable type services, there have been commercial and semi-commercial channels broadcasting.

Thank Goodness you have the commercial and semi-commercial channels, or where else would you get your fix of 'Big Brother' (Series 14 and counting), 'Celebrity Big Brother' (12 Series and counting), and 'I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!' Smile Smile Smile

I was going to include 'Snog Marry Avoid?' in the above list, but I think that is actually on the Beeb. Smile
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3893 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
It is. They also cater for the lowest common denominator, as is right and proper [see Eastenders].
Circusman
View Profile
Special user
Kent, England.
570 Posts

Profile of Circusman
The BBC news reports are great if you like Politics and Celebrities and, not forgetting, more propaganda than ever existed in the Soviet Union.
Add to that the Royal family P.R. jobs, and you can see the crap we pay for.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2704 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 19:13, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-06-18 09:23, ed rhodes wrote:

That's great, Ed.

The BBC broadcasts 4 television channels of original output, in addition to a 24 hr live news channel. They broadcast 6+ radio stations, of very superior quality. Amongst other things you may have heard of, the BBC commissioned Monty Python's Flying Circus. The BBC is a much loved national institution, commissioning and producing original, award winning output. There is no real equivalent in any other country.

There is no advertising on the BBC. None.

That is what we pay the license fee for. And if you don't own a TV, then the radio is free of charge.

Tell me again about VIOS.

I'm not arguing with you. I'm arguing with the person who's trying to compare cable providers to the BBC.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » T.V. License non-payment excuses. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.4 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL