The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A good progression for learning coin sleight of hand? (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Remillard
View Profile
New user
Mississauga, On
84 Posts

Profile of Remillard
Wow Michael, your study guide is excellent reading. Thanks so much for putting in the time and effort. Just sent you a PM.
SamanthaO
View Profile
New user
Singapore
33 Posts

Profile of SamanthaO
PMed you Mike!

Thanks Smile
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
Samantha, I've PMed you back, but I haven't heard from you. If you PM me your e-mail, I'll send on the PDF for you.

Mike.
You can get the latest issues of Top Hat by clicking here.
Visit us on FaceBook by clicking here.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks Mike.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
My pleasure, sir!

Mike.
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
The Bobo study guide can now be found for easy download (PDF with linked contents page) on our FaceBook page, here:

File Page; FaceBook

You can also enjoy the other downloads that are available there, at no cost (other than your time). Feel free to sign up to our FaceBook page where you'll receive updates on the study guide, along with our other projects.

Enjoy!

Mike.
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
I haven't had a chance to look at Bobo's study guide but I do think the Enclyopedia of Coin Sleights is one of the best. It's now available on DVD as well for those of you who prefer a more visual approach but I personally always love to have a book in hand too.
MRSharpe
View Profile
Special user
Never a dull moment with
940 Posts

Profile of MRSharpe
Unless you want to try and learn everything in Bobo, there is a much simpler answer. You need to learn the three main concealments, how to get from one to the other, a good fake take and fake put, and maybe how to do some other speciality moves for specific effects. Someone mentioned Expansion of Texture Expanded which would be an excellent example of the latter. With that you can do more coin magic than most non-magicians would ever want to watch in one sitting. The same can be said of cards or any other prop that is mainly worked with using sleight of hand.
Another piece of advice is consider learning sleights in context with effects. Certainly some initial learning of moves needs to be completed early in the learning curve, but once you pass a certain point, which will vary from individual to individual, you should learn an effect which uses the moves you know so that you have an actual use for them. I hope this helped!
Custom Props Designer and Fabricator as well as Performer from Indiana, USA
RCP
View Profile
Inner circle
Two Minnie's in The Hell's Half Acre, The Republic of Texas
2183 Posts

Profile of RCP
Hard to argue all the above good advice but if you are brand new pick an effect you are interested in and learn the sleight(s) needed. It will be more fun for you.
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
Michael,
Thanks for bringing this old post to life. I have the book and DVD. Now I have this and I cant argue with the price! I read your post and I agree with your approach to learning coin magic. Your Facebook site is awesome too. I am not a Facebook person so I had to reset my password. I look forward to reading the articles on your page.
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
Hi Harry! I approved your membership just a few moments ago and I hope that you'll find not only the Bobo Study Guide to be worth your while, but the other offerings on the file page as well. Our magazine is coming along quite nicely and the latest issue, #12, is the Halloween edition. There is some excellent material to be found in that issue, but I'd still suggest that you check out earlier editions also. It's all 100% free of charge and 100% free of advertising - if you don't like any given issue, then you haven't lost anything other than the your time investment.

To All the Members Here at The Café: The Top Hat FaceBook page is open to everyone and these magazines are completely free of charge. If you're interested, check out the database here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1670559619838521/files/

Thank you, Harry, for your kind words!

Mike.
HarryB
View Profile
Regular user
South Texas
127 Posts

Profile of HarryB
Someone should really link this page over to the "nothing up my sleeves" forum. Being interested in coin magic and cups and balls for starters, I usually go straight to those specific forums and rarely visit this one. I can guess that I'm not alone as each of us only have so many hours to devote to reading. Glad I found this thread! I am going to print the pdf and keep it up in my practice area.
Michael Jay
View Profile
Regular user
Toledo, Ohio
180 Posts

Profile of Michael Jay
If you were to post that over there, Harry, I'd be greatly appreciative!

Mike.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » A good progression for learning coin sleight of hand? (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL