The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Nardi's Sharpie Through Card (S.T.C) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..20~21~22 [Next]
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I think I'm very suffiecient at my Dl's and turnovers Smile
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I would say my Dls are well-honed. I've given them plenty of studied practice and I feel good about it at this point. That said, I also really like SF - some of the best $95 I've ever spent. It's not just the spray - the ideas that Kolle gives with it, and the ones you'll come up with as you experiment with it are priceless. SF has replaced, improved, or generated plenty of ideas I've had in the past. SF is just one more tool in the toolbox to help me create the best end effect I can, regardless of difficultly.

I'm sure in this case SF isn't needed to make the effect look amazing, but I also don't think it'll hurt either. The only thing to be wary of with SF in this case is that it is a spray, and anything in spray form added to a card does need maintenance. That it is something to keep in mind to ensure your performance doesn't go awry if you are relying on SF to do its thing and it fails on you mid-performance - you still should know a decent DL just in case. Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I wouldn't want the SF to mess with the gimmick. Maybe it's bets to go au naturel and just do a good DL?

Or use a thick card for training wheels. Your DL's will look as good as any Pro and you can slowly wean yourself off it.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-07-12 16:13, Zombie Magic wrote:
I wouldn't want the SF to mess with the gimmick. Maybe it's bets to go au naturel and just do a good DL?

Or use a thick card for training wheels. Your DL's will look as good as any Pro and you can slowly wean yourself off it.

The spray is just below the gimmich area - it doesn't touch it whatsoever. It could also be applied using the lower template supplied.

I truly apologize to Peter Nardi for sidetrcking here but like anything I always like to share ideas among friends. I do strongly beleive that the pairing of SF with STC will make many Café members extremely happy with the pairing - and that should help our dear Peter sell more STC's.

Not a necessity by any means mind you... those who like it the traditional way - more power to ya.

SF in a way started out as a bit of an underground product - many poo poo'd it initially - too much money for the spray, similar to cheap plasti stuff, etc. It's popularity and the respect for what Cardshark and Alex Kolle created has grown exponentially with word of mouth.

As one of the first beta testers I reviewed it at great length - I agree with what others have said that the uses for this fantastic product are still being discovered. One can should last you MANY years.

I will post a video in the next week of a public STC performace with it and you guys can judge.

My very rough idea for routining this now is along the lines of:

Spectator chooses a card - signs it. Signed card turned over and outjogged.

Performer discusses an experiment involving hot and cold. The perfomer asks the spectator to stare and their signed card and imagine it getting colder and colder - the temparature of the card slowly dropping by 10 dregrees every few seconds. 70 degrees, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20 degrees... imagine the card is now a think block of pure ice.

Now the performer suggests the the spectator imagines the Sharpie being heated... 70,80,90,100,110,120,130 degrees.

"If the card is now a thin sheet of ice, and the Sharpie is now truly hot... then the Sharpie should be able to melt through the signed card like a hot knife through butter," says the performer.

But over time many many
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4540 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
Great presentational idea, I wrote down a few notes myself about the Sharpie getting hotter and hotter and proving that their imagination is so strong they can push through the sharpie like butter. This then involves a lot of spectator involvement where they rub the end of the sharpie and hold their hand under the sharpies, so with enough by play and tongue in cheek they can feel the sharpie getting hotter. I'm hanging with a few magicians peeps this weekend so maybe I can get a performance shot this weekend.
Magicmike221
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
612 Posts

Profile of Magicmike221
Received mine today ...very well made
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Could you....blow on your finger to warm it up and pass it through the card instead of the Sharpie®?
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-07-12 17:26, Zombie Magic wrote:
Could you....blow on your finger to warm it up and pass it through the card instead of the Sharpie®?

I don't think so...
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
It's so nice to receive a trick that is way better than you'd think it would be from the performance video.
What a brilliant application of a penetration effect with everyday objects. The workmanship is brilliant.
It's also nice when you purchase an effect that you know you can and will use. Thank you Peter for your dedication to quality magic.
I noted that you mentioned you'd have refills in about 6 months or so. It might be worthwhile to release them a bit earlier.
When something is this good, many of us would love to stock up for the future.
Foxlute
View Profile
Regular user
UK
148 Posts

Profile of Foxlute
Amazing service from Alakazam Magic. I ordered my STC combo yesterday and it's just dropped through my letter box. Thank you Mr Nardi!
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Thanks for replying Pete.

Looking forward to the Sherpa version - it will be the first trick I've bought in ages (it does get a tad boring buying just cards, rope and sponge balls). Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
My pleasure guys. Always here to help and Merc, the Sherpa version is really cool Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I have found a great way of m****g the card gimmick so you know the proper orientation is putting a light pencil "dot" at the upper right corner of the initial face down side of the card (owners will understand) - similar to how you might do the ace in a Brainwave deck. I find this is better and maybe a little more stealthy than the idea Peter suggests. In this way you should always know the proper orientation and being in light pencil it is non permanent and only apparent to the performer.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
It's very cool. I expect to break it or loose it within the month, but while I have it, very cool.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2238 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
With proper use it should last a very long time. Of course I have no control over you losing it Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 12:46, Xcath1 wrote:
It's very cool. I expect to break it or loose it within the month, but while I have it, very cool.

Really? This seems quite tough.

How Bromley came up with this is beyond me really. Superb craftsmanship.

There isn't anything delicate about it other than the fact that I know a playing card is made of paper. But that may not be what is going on here.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's made of paper? The ad doesn't say that. Uh, oh. The Café "Ad Police" are going to swarm in and demand revisions!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Your funny - playing cards are still made of paper as far as I know lol.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-07-13 13:53, saysold1 wrote:
Your funny - playing cards are still made of paper as far as I know lol.

Playing cards are made of paper. The ad says "comes complete with custom gimmick". The Café Ad Police will say they thought is was space-age metal that would last a lifetime.

:sun:
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3065 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
That's all I meant. The gaff doesn't seem particularly delicate, just paper. I like your idea for the SF. I usually look away during my DL but of course there is a lot of heat on the card in this effect and you do get a really burnable effort free DL with the SF.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Nardi's Sharpie Through Card (S.T.C) (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7~8~9~10~11..20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL