The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Nardi's Sharpie Through Card (S.T.C) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-08-13 10:47, Chessmann wrote:
Hmmm... To me, no noise is more "realistic". Not that I really care one way or the other, though! Smile


Do you have STC my friend Chessman?

The "noise" is really like a lightly screechy sound which is precisely what your eyes and ears might expect.

Visuually it looks like the edges tightly hug all sides of the pen - and to me it looks like the sides adjust slightly to the size of the pen as it penetrates as an optical illusion of sorts. The gimmick is so well made (as we know) that there is literally no space or gap that can be seen at the sides. If there were a gap, then yes it would make complete sense I agree for near total silence.

But the "tightness" is obvious while watching the effect - hence the slight squeeky sounds (the tone of which changes slightly as the pen is inserted in and out) perfectly matches what the eyes see.

Maybe I am over analyzing... but STC "syncs" idealy from a sound & sight perspective - which is one of the things that makes it so special.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2192 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Must admit never ever had an issue with noise.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
If I go in a angle it does make a slight noise. If I go stright down it don't make a sound. If you don't like the noise play with the angle that the pen goes in.
Peter Nardi
View Profile
Inner circle
2192 Posts

Profile of Peter Nardi
Hi Guys

Just to let you know the Sherpa Edition should be in stock next week.

Regards

Peter
Danny Orleans
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago
118 Posts

Profile of Danny Orleans
Quote:
On 2013-06-23 18:35, Markymark wrote:
I remember reading in a David Solomon book about a great idea by Danny Orleans.As a non-smoker he used a piece of wood shaped like a
cigarette and called it a 'Healing stick'.


You are correct. I still do this effect with a wooden stick and a gaffed card. Sharpie is a terrific idea. Wish I'd thought of it. You can see a short clip of me performing this on the video on my http://www.corporatemagicltd.com site called RECEPTION MAGIC. I follow it up with Cornelius' Perfect Pen.
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6884 Posts

Profile of bowers
Like your style Danny.
Mine is on the way whoopee..
Todd
MagicByBruce
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of MagicByBruce
Quote:
On 2013-08-11 19:23, mercedesrules wrote:
.........Anyone else having trouble playing the DVD on a TV recorder? Mine only plays on a computer.
Yes and I have a Sony Blu-ray that is suppose to play anything. Just ordered V Deck, I hope I don't have to watch that in the office too!?
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
I got this the other day and I'm very happy with it. the gimmick is very well made.

I like the idea of the drawing the black hole on the card.

however, I was wondering if anyone has ever used black plastic for a removeable hole? you know that plastic stuff that isn't sticky, but it clings to stuff? like the stuff that comes on a computer monitor or TV when you get one brand new so that it doesn't get scratched and covered in dust and stuff? or the plastic you put over your smart phone so you don't ruin your screen? if you got that stuff, but maybe spray painted it black, would that work?

I would have this on the gimmick already. they sign their card. I show them the a "portable hole" ... I put it on the back of their card... then I put their card face up on the deck. and say "ok, your signature is on this side... turnover... and we put the hole on the other side"... then put the sharpie through the card. then turn the card over again, show the signiture and then take the plastic off... then you can go into an ambitious card routine or any other signed card effect and the back of the card is back to normal. you can probably easily ditch the gimmick as well while they are examining their card and the sharpie.

because I love that idea of the "fake hole" that becomes real like in the cartoons. and I want to use this trick before going into an ACR... but obviously you can't do an ACR with a black circle on the back made with a sharpie.

the other option is to just get a bunch of black circle stickers printed out. my girlfriend has a machine that looks like a printer except that it cuts out shapes on paper with a blade... so she could take a piece of black vinyl sticker paper and cut a bunch of circles the correct size. this would work except obviously I'd have to carry around sheets of stickers instead of just one piece of plastic that I can re-use. and I wouldn't want something so sticky that would make it hard to peal off afterwords. alternatively, I could use this a finale... put the sticker on, do the penetration... then they get to keep their card with the sticker on it... so then they'll have a souvenir and they'll tell people that I put a marker through the "hole" on the back of the card.
TimEden
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TimEden
Sorry if I'm being dumb and/or it's already been covered but there's talk a few pages back about combining this with SF. Is SF an effect and if so what does it stand for?
Knobz1
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte, NC
157 Posts

Profile of Knobz1
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 12:36, TimEden wrote:
Sorry if I'm being dumb and/or it's already been covered but there's talk a few pages back about combining this with SF. Is SF an effect and if so what does it stand for?
SF stands for Science Friction. You can learn more about it here: http://www.sciencefrictionspray.com/ Smile
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 22:15, AdamChance wrote:
I got this the other day and I'm very happy with it. the gimmick is very well made.

I like the idea of the drawing the black hole on the card.

however, I was wondering if anyone has ever used black plastic for a removeable hole? you know that plastic stuff that isn't sticky, but it clings to stuff? like the stuff that comes on a computer monitor or TV when you get one brand new so that it doesn't get scratched and covered in dust and stuff? or the plastic you put over your smart phone so you don't ruin your screen? if you got that stuff, but maybe spray painted it black, would that work?

I would have this on the gimmick already. they sign their card. I show them the a "portable hole" ... I put it on the back of their card... then I put their card face up on the deck. and say "ok, your signature is on this side... turnover... and we put the hole on the other side"... then put the sharpie through the card. then turn the card over again, show the signiture and then take the plastic off... then you can go into an ambitious card routine or any other signed card effect and the back of the card is back to normal. you can probably easily ditch the gimmick as well while they are examining their card and the sharpie.

because I love that idea of the "fake hole" that becomes real like in the cartoons. and I want to use this trick before going into an ACR... but obviously you can't do an ACR with a black circle on the back made with a sharpie.

the other option is to just get a bunch of black circle stickers printed out. my girlfriend has a machine that looks like a printer except that it cuts out shapes on paper with a blade... so she could take a piece of black vinyl sticker paper and cut a bunch of circles the correct size. this would work except obviously I'd have to carry around sheets of stickers instead of just one piece of plastic that I can re-use. and I wouldn't want something so sticky that would make it hard to peal off afterwords. alternatively, I could use this a finale... put the sticker on, do the penetration... then they get to keep their card with the sticker on it... so then they'll have a souvenir and they'll tell people that I put a marker through the "hole" on the back of the card.


Personally I think what makes STC so powerful as an effect is the fact that the spectator does not expect a hole to be there at all - or one to be created and then healed. Showing a hole prior might be fine but I find that the gasps one gets when performing STC is directly related to something happening which is sudden and unexpected.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
This is from my Facebook page from the other day...

Following on from my review for Paul Gordon's awesome 'The Ultimate Sting' another effect I've been using for the last three weeks or so is Peter Nardi's STC (Sharpie Through Card). In a nutshell this is a pen through signed card, and it looks freaking stunning!

The routine I use for this is the black hole routine, you have a card selected and signed as you talk about how cartoon characters can use potable holes, you now draw a portable hole on the signed selection (you draw a black circle on the face of the card). You now flip the signed selection face down and push the Sharpie right through the card, (no exaggeration here, this gets gasps and shouts of, do that again etc), you now immediately hand both the pen and selection to the spectator to check out!

This is an up to date version of the cigarette through card and the gimmick is very well made indeed. I've been using mine now for a number of weeks and believe me it's getting some stick, but it's still like new and will last a very long time indeed. Each unit is hand made and is a labour of love, and you also get a DVD with some great tips and effects. This is as self-working as it gets, the gimmick does all the work for you! STC is a quick but stunning effect and is a great lead-in to any card effect where you have a card signed, or you can use it as a stand alone effect. Very highly recommended! You can get STC from here http://www.alakazam.co.uk/

Gary Jones.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
AdamChance
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of AdamChance
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 14:51, saysold1 wrote:
Personally I think what makes STC so powerful as an effect is the fact that the spectator does not expect a hole to be there at all - or one to be created and then healed. Showing a hole prior might be fine but I find that the gasps one gets when performing STC is directly related to something happening which is sudden and unexpected.


you might be right. I haven't actually performed this for anyone yet... so I've gotta test out some different methods.

but I really like the idea of the cartoon hole thing, just because I like the story/theme and it gives some justification to what you're doing. the main thing I don't like about drawing it on the face of the card is that it doesn't make as much sense to turn the card over and have it go through the other side that doesn't have the hole.

maybe you could draw a hole on the face of the card... then turn it over and say something like "if this was a real hole, you'd see it from this side of the card too... but since it's a cartoon hole that I drew on, you can't see it... but it's still there... watch" ... then do the penetration. it gives some justification as to why you would draw a hole on the face of the card, and then flip it over and put the sharpie through the other side with no hole.

but I think I'll still try with a sticker on the back of the card. they sign the face, I put the sticker on the back, let them examine it... and I'd guess that you get a good retention of vision when you do your DL since they're expecting that black sticker to be there, so they have even less of a reason to doubt that it's in fact their card.

maybe I'm giving my spectator's too much credit, but some might find it suspecious that they signed the face of the card, and then I put the sharpie through the back (not signed). so they may suspect that it's a different card, because otherwise, why wouldn't I put it through the face where they can see their signiture? so it might be good to have some sort of justification for putting it through the back of the card rather than the face so that it's a logical part of the patter and they wont find that suspicious.
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10475 Posts

Profile of saysold1
If Gary Jones is getting great reactions with the cartoon hole... then maybe I need to try it out and see what the reactions are. I'm probably wrong lol.

STC is a work of art.

I still can't figure out the mechanics of how the gimmick resets so cleanly. Amazing craftsmanship.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme- "One of the most versatile and well made utility devices I have ever used. Highly recommended." Bob Cassidy www.SvenPads.com
gjmagic
View Profile
Special user
UK
970 Posts

Profile of gjmagic
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 01:29, AdamChance wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 14:51, saysold1 wrote:
Personally I think what makes STC so powerful as an effect is the fact that the spectator does not expect a hole to be there at all - or one to be created and then healed. Showing a hole prior might be fine but I find that the gasps one gets when performing STC is directly related to something happening which is sudden and unexpected.


you might be right. I haven't actually performed this for anyone yet... so I've gotta test out some different methods.

but I really like the idea of the cartoon hole thing, just because I like the story/theme and it gives some justification to what you're doing. the main thing I don't like about drawing it on the face of the card is that it doesn't make as much sense to turn the card over and have it go through the other side that doesn't have the hole.

maybe you could draw a hole on the face of the card... then turn it over and say something like "if this was a real hole, you'd see it from this side of the card too... but since it's a cartoon hole that I drew on, you can't see it... but it's still there... watch" ... then do the penetration. it gives some justification as to why you would draw a hole on the face of the card, and then flip it over and put the sharpie through the other side with no hole.

but I think I'll still try with a sticker on the back of the card. they sign the face, I put the sticker on the back, let them examine it... and I'd guess that you get a good retention of vision when you do your DL since they're expecting that black sticker to be there, so they have even less of a reason to doubt that it's in fact their card.

maybe I'm giving my spectator's too much credit, but some might find it suspecious that they signed the face of the card, and then I put the sharpie through the back (not signed). so they may suspect that it's a different card, because otherwise, why wouldn't I put it through the face where they can see their signiture? so it might be good to have some sort of justification for putting it through the back of the card rather than the face so that it's a logical part of the patter and they wont find that suspicious.


Please don't take this the wrong way, I think you may be looking at this from a magician's perspective, I've road tested 100s of times and the freak and love it. The drawing of the "black hole" adds immensely to the presentation, and when you immediately hand them both card and pen they freak even more as there just isn't any explanation to it. The black hole presentation is sheer nonsense, you reel them in but then you hit them with the magic, this is much better than just doing a trick! Remember, this is all part of the entertainment, feeding them an impossible story and then bringing it to life ;-)

Gary.
MIMC Gold Star

www.garyjonesmagic.com

gary@garyjonesmagic.com

DVDs/Effects; The Unknown - iCandy - More iCandy 1 & 2 - Dupes - 52 0n 1 Project - 74% Self Working - Flying Tonight - Pocket This - 6 Pack Coins - 6 Pack Cards - Thought Wave - Noted - Duality - Live Lecture Vol 1 - Pseudo Pickpocket - iContact - Shock Twist - Thought of Cards Across Plus - Touched - Colour Diffusion - Look No Hands Wayne Dobson - Automata - Box Pad - No Frills Lecture Notes 1 & 2 - The Ammo - Double Cross - Initial Here - Automata 2 - Black Market - Trick Soup - Automata 3 - Penguin Live Lecture - Upper Hand - Cartoon Capers - Life's a Beach Vol 1.
macc
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of macc
I really like the idea of the hole. You could continue the plot and perform smoke by alan rorrison.
benmagic1
View Profile
Regular user
London
176 Posts

Profile of benmagic1
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 13:01, macc wrote:
I really like the idea of the hole. You could continue the plot and perform smoke by alan rorrison.


That's a great idea macc, I have ordered the double pack red and blue now I need to find my Smoke ha ha !
Sussex/Kent/Surrey Wedding Photographer and Magician. Ben's Photography
Surrey/Sussex/Kent Magician
TimEden
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of TimEden
Thanks Knobz1. Investigating it right now...
TheAmazingSteveo
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of TheAmazingSteveo
STC gets GREAT REACTIONS !!!

I always keep this with me.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 13:01, macc wrote:
I really like the idea of the hole. You could continue the plot and perform smoke by alan rorrison.
can you pm me on the pen idea? I like the idea on using them together.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Peter Nardi's Sharpie Through Card (S.T.C) (7 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..16~17~18~19~20~21~22 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.58 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL