The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » TPR by Iain Dunford and Dave Moses (23 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I agree with you, Bill. The read is as important as the information. In Iain's case, I know the work will be absorbing as well as educational. I've written elsewhere that he is a gifted writer and should seek literary representation for works of fiction.

PS
Was informed by Lulu that TPR has shipped Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18693 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ha! cheers bill! and all praise to your work!

one thing I didn't mention in TPR, was a classic in our literature - the fabled living and dead test...

using TPR you have a more organic solution to some of the methods prescribed in 13 steps and PME...so that means if you substitute living and dead for any other presentational hook, you open up many a splendid thing...

I enjoy the fact that this is very portable too - and a visual display of you as an interesting and (if you wanted) esoteric person...
tctahoe
View Profile
V.I.P.
Lakeland Fl.
700 Posts

Profile of tctahoe
I love Ritual and I LOVE TPR!

When I started my little magazine, Mind over Magic years ago, I wrote this in the fist issue;

Ritual as defined in the book “The Truth about Ritual Magic” by Donald Tyson.
“Ritual is the medium through which the art of magic is practiced.”

Now, I realize Mr. Tyson is writing about ‘real magic’, however I believe it should apply to our art. Mr. Tyson goes on to say, “[Ritual] consists of an action or series of actions. Which may be entirely mental or mental and physical, by which the power of magic is released and directed towards the fulfillment of a specific desire.” (Pg. 6)

Again, I believe this applies to our magic.

And just one more quote from Mr. Tyson, “When a ritual is unfocused – it can never accomplish major purpose.”

With TPR you can create ritual and awe for your spectator or sitter.

I love that TPR allows me to engage my intuition and improv skills.

I think I may be rambling now...

In case I have not been clear I LOVE & HIGHLY RECOMEND TPR!

Thank You Iain and Dave, you have given me a tool that I will use, and I think that is the highest compliment I can give you.
tc
piyuyu
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of piyuyu
I just bought TPR along with Corpus. This is my first time reading Iain's work. (mainly because I live in Asia and I tried to get e-book instead of real books) I am happy to say that it was a good investment. So much materials and insights that will help me improve as a reader. Like what many had already said, TPR is a great idea, a great reading tool. Now that I'm a fan of Iain's, I can't wait to see what new materials he is coming out with.
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Got it.

If you have any interest in improving your readings, making them stronger, more accurate and visually interesting, get this book. This is a creative system and creative types will immediately fall in love with it.

Many locked doors have suddenly flung open with this technique. I look forward to stepping inside to find out what awaits.

I'm going to read it a few more times because, as is typical with Iain's work, the writing excites me.

Wells done
Chris
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18693 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thank you everyone...very happy and somewhat relieved that you are all enjoying it...

and especially a thanks to Chris for the kind compliments with regards to the writing style...means a lot...
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2285 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Having seen such good comments about this, just placed my order.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18693 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thanks neil...appreciate it...

we really wanted to make sure what we put out covered as many different angles as possible, because at the core of it all is simplicity...

psychic entertainment vs psychological illusion
mentalism reveals that allow you combine them with extra depth via TPR
for those 'in the bar' moments
readings vs character analysis
a visualness to the presentation (which will gather attention if in a social setting, or give people a physical/visual thing to engage with the audience during a paid performance)
work in any situation
be done one on one or groups
a way of enabling groups to use TPR on one another
design duplication without pads or clipboards
creating unique keepsakes
personal and personable presentations
the only thing needed is a business card or just a scrap of paper and a writing device of your choice
no DR or IS, nothing to construct
borderline 'naked' technique

sorry for the blurb style response, its just that I want to give as much info without giving away (too much) what is involved...
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18693 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Also, would anyone be interested in a closed group page on Facebook if me and dave set one up? then you can have privacy to share a few ideas...
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2285 Posts

Profile of NeilS
.... borderline 'naked' technique.

The mind boggles but, whatever it is, am glad to have put my order in.
David Thiel
View Profile
Inner circle
Western Canada...where all that oil is
3814 Posts

Profile of David Thiel
I've just read through this for the second time. First time around it was more of a survey, to be honest. I approached it as an outsider...since it appeared to be material directed toward readers and, while I have an interest in how the other half makes its living, I'm not a reader. THIS time I read it through with a different viewpoint: How could the material be used in a routine like Q and A -- or going even further afield: some book tests, color cube (MD) effects?

Here's the thing: from a performer's viewpoint we go into a Q and A (or even a thing as simple as a CT) with a few bits of information in our back pockets. This helps when you come to the point where you are fishing around, looking for more hits: you always know that you have THE final bit of "impossible to know" information ready to drop when you need it.

I've found that logical connections between what I observe about the person and what they've written, allow me to make some reasonable assumptions.

For those of you who have this wonderful little book, let me suggest that you consider incorporating some of the techniques taught in TPR to other effects you're performing. I think you'll find, as I did, that they are invaluable sources of inspiration. What I'm saying is that if you approach this as I did on the first read-through thinking that it's a well written and engaging manuscript of primary interest to "readers" you will do the material and yourself a significant disservice. There's gold in this book, delivered so casually that you really have to be on the lookout for it.

TPR is a wonderful contribution to the community. Thanks guys.

David
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except bears. Bears will kill you.

www.MindGemsBrainTrust.com
www.magicpendulums.com
www.MidnightMagicAndMentalism.com
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
Quote:
On 2013-07-11 07:39, IAIN wrote:
Also, would anyone be interested in a closed group page on Facebook if me and dave set one up? then you can have privacy to share a few ideas...

For sure
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2186 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Smile

Quote:
On 2013-07-11 10:51, David Thiel wrote:
I've just read through this for the second time. First time around it was more of a survey, to be honest. I approached it as an outsider...since it appeared to be material directed toward readers and, while I have an interest in how the other half makes its living, I'm not a reader. THIS time I read it through with a different viewpoint: How could the material be used in a routine like Q and A -- or going even further afield: some book tests, color cube (MD) effects?

Here's the thing: from a performer's viewpoint we go into a Q and A (or even a thing as simple as a CT) with a few bits of information in our back pockets. This helps when you come to the point where you are fishing around, looking for more hits: you always know that you have THE final bit of "impossible to know" information ready to drop when you need it.

I've found that logical connections between what I observe about the person and what they've written, allow me to make some reasonable assumptions.

For those of you who have this wonderful little book, let me suggest that you consider incorporating some of the techniques taught in TPR to other effects you're performing. I think you'll find, as I did, that they are invaluable sources of inspiration. What I'm saying is that if you approach this as I did on the first read-through thinking that it's a well written and engaging manuscript of primary interest to "readers" you will do the material and yourself a significant disservice. There's gold in this book, delivered so casually that you really have to be on the lookout for it.

TPR is a wonderful contribution to the community. Thanks guys.

David
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18693 Posts

Profile of IAIN
To be open/honest - I sent David a freebie a little while ago, out of the regulars here - it was his opinion I was interested in the most, cos I knew he wasn't all that interested in being a reader - so I wanted to see the reaction from someone who was experienced in performing, eloquent but not necessarily the target audience! So thank you again dave - really good of you to offer a first and second bite at our TPR cherry... and I agree completely - this gives you a visual and logical "in" for many mentalism presentations...

and though I am biased, I am very proud of the midway swindle ruse, as well as the design dupe, above all other things...and for three people at a table, a mini-q&a is a lot of fun, and very simple to perform with basic annemann based education...

thank you (david), and everyone else who has chimed in.... have loved sharing this, and hope to hear more performance tales sooner or later...and I'm still kinda smiling at the fact that Millard Longman used it the day after reading the manuscript...
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1875 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
The Matisse Design Duplication is one if my favorite uses for TPR. Makes so much sense.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
There's a fire burning in my head right now.

Congrats to both Dave and Iain for a truly wonderful piece of work. I tend not to get too excited over much these days, but TPR has me really thrilled right now...there's just so many great uses and practical applications here it's INSANE!

Recommended? Ummm...yeah. One of the very best offerings I've seen all year and something that I will definitely use and use often.

One smashing demonstration I've always loved, performed regularly and kept very close to my heart is Bruce Bernstein's piece, "The Ritual."

Thanks to Dunford & Moses, something I thought was *** near perfect and could never be improved upon just got 1,000 times better. Smile

Gentlemen, I am in your debt.

Stoked,
Jerome
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
2285 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Wow, that's high praise indeed.

Well done Iain and Dave.

I am really looking forward to my copy, which hopefully will be with me before the week is out.

Neil
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18693 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Well, good news and bad news for some of you...

Quote:
On 2013-07-15 05:57, Jon_Thompson wrote:
20% off all books at Lulu.com with code SOCIUS until the end of 19th July.

so you can now grab TPR at this discount by entering it into the appropriate field when you buy it - we have no control when lulu do these discounts! so sorry about that fellas (and ladies if you bought one)...but for those on the fence...20% off may tempted you!
dmoses
View Profile
Inner circle
2186 Posts

Profile of dmoses
Reading these comments makes me feel great. It's a humbling and satisfying experience to have your ideas validated by your peers.
It's particularly great when your ideas come bouncing back at you twice as strong-- thank you Jerome for sending your thoughts, you did it with The Chosen One and now you did it again with TPR Q&A!
My sincere thanks.

As more and more performers get their hot little hands on this Iain and I would love to hear about your experiences with it. Some of you will be implementing the ideas here right away-- others will be bringing adding them to your repertoire more gradually.
Exciting!

thanks again

dave

ps-- 20% saving through Lulu you say?!
"You're a comedian. You wanna do mankind a service, tell funnier jokes."
TPR by Dave Moses and Iain Dunford
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3054 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
As I have said before, TPR is extremely well written (entertaining to read) and filled with practical stuff and ideas that will get the creative juices flowing.
Was a great value at full price. At 20% off, it's even more of a no-brainer.

e
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » TPR by Iain Dunford and Dave Moses (23 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL